User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Avatar

MBTI
    infp

What an amazing film, I almost cried when it was over because that meant waking up to this very real, very crappy world.

This is going to be a must in my collection, if only I could be an avatar haha.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'd say that the general consensus is correct: It's a heaping mass of bad dialogue and narrative cliches wrapped up in a beautiful package. The experience is ultimately rewarding and kinda magical.

When it was over I was sad that I live on Earth and drive cars and have pale skin and can't jump through huge, glowing trees. My mind wasn't blown, but it is definitely worth seeing...especially in the cinema in 3-D! Pandora is one of the greatest film settings ever.
    9 wing 1

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I was initially skeptical of all the hype because usually a PG-13 movie with blue aliens frolicking in the forest isn't really my idea of a good time

It looks stupid.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I didn't hear any of the hype, just went because it was in the theatre. (That's how we go to movies, whatever is playing)

I really liked it, it's a little predictable but it's very enjoyable. We saw it 2D and I'm thinking about going back to see it 3D. Is the 3D worth it?

How did they atrophie his legs?? We thought he was an actual paraplegic.

Awesome movie. It was predictable and some scenes really smelled like "hollywood", and the hungarian dub was awful; but the visual orgy and the cute naivete' of old-school storytelling totally compensated for everything.

I felt like a child all along, and I was actually rooting for the protagonist, which... doesn't happen too often

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    How did they atrophie his legs?? We thought he was an actual paraplegic.
    Haha, that was my question too... then my partner answered, "If they can make an entire planet out of CG effects, then they can use CG effects to make his legs skinny."

I agree it was beautiful, cliched and predictable. The characterisation was very extreme--no shades of grey (though many shades of blue ). Team A is spiritual, wise and heroic; Team B is greedy, cowardly and ruthless.

However, it's still very enjoyable if you turn off your brain and keep your eyes open. The hours pass very quickly.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Avatar: the movie

Just saw Avatar in 3d and thought it was kickass. It reminded me what it was like when I first saw the Matrix. Try not to post key spoilers or if so alert but if you saw it what did you think of it?
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Phantonym

I'm going to see it in a few hours. 3D as well. I've heard people say good things about it. I want to make up my own mind.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Very Cool. I think you will get a kick out of it Sky is Blue because your personality and your love for inventive movies. Yeah best to just go into it with an open mind. I had a coffee before I went and saw it which I feel gave a subtle enhancement to the movie for me.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've already seen it twice in 3D. 3D makes that movie rock, and esp if you go to a theater with enhanced/great sound. The first theater I saw it in was an old theater, the second one has only been around maybe 2-3 years, and the sound was so great the whole theater reverberated physically with it... I don't want to spoil things, but the traumatic scene in the middle of the movie was just bone-jarring, with the surround sound and 3D in place.

The movie has some flaws and is sort of "Americanized" in how the story is told, if you get my drift -- it was aimed at being a blockbuster style movie -- but I think it's best experienced by just letting oneself go and immersing within the frame of the movie. I experienced a great sense of wonder throughout.

One thing Cameron does well is keeping the plot devices interwoven. There is literally nothing in the movie that was not set up earlier in the plot, everything is interconnected and foreshadowed. I was able to guess many of the plot twists by thinking about what got said earlier in the movie. This actually did not bore me, it put me more in the role of a character of the movie who was trying to figure out where to go next.

I think many of the supporting actors were incredibly done, although Neytiri is still my favorite. She was amazingly alive and physically expressive to me, far more than many non-CGI characters I've seen. The plot is one that has been heavily mirrored in other movies in the genre (a large chunk of the plot is right out of the animated movie "Pocahontas") but I felt this one was the most effective twist on that style of narrative.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft