Thread: Avatar

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Okay, I finally gave in and rented Avatar. I have to assume that 99% of the appeal of it has to be the visual effects as experienced in 3D on the big screen, because I was overwhelmingly underwhelmed. It just wasn't a good movie, imo.
    Great post.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't find it impressive that people can compare the story of Avatar to other stories? After all, didn't Shakespeare say there's only something like seven plots, and all stories use one of those seven plots?

I thought Avatar was very entertaining and enjoyable. It doesn't really make you "think," it makes you "feel..."
    +1

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I enjoyed this review. It's by the same guy that did the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones reviews, so the humor is strange... but he has some good points:

Part 1: YouTube - Avatar Review (Part 1 of 2)
    Part 2: YouTube - Avatar Review (Part 2 of 2)

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Okay, I finally gave in and rented Avatar. I have to assume that 99% of the appeal of it has to be the visual effects as experienced in 3D on the big screen, because I was overwhelmingly underwhelmed. It just wasn't a good movie, imo. I didn't care about the characters at all, and almost every scene was taken from another movie. And I don't mean the idea was gently borrowed and re-cast into something more meaningful. I mean, each scene was taken directly from somewhere else in a recognizable way.

Even the animals were just "what if a rhinoceros mated with a hammerhead shark?" Or "hey, let's add a couple of extra legs to a horse!" I didn't feel a great sense of creativity. I feel like someone like JK Rowling is much better at creating creatures and worlds that don't exist and then making them seem possible.

Nothing about this movie felt new or particularly heartfelt. I was kind of embarrassed for Sigourney Weaver. She was clearly phoning it in.

The following is essentially what I said to my roommate a few minutes ago, Tarantino comparison and all, and then I came across Ivy's post stating it perfectly:

Derivative is fine, but you have to take the derivative elements and create something original, a new way of interpreting the old thing. Making it all CGI isn't a new way of looking at the idea. It's just cosmetic.

Word about the military bad guy, too. When you can envision someone as a Pixar character with absolutely no exaggeration involved, you know the character is not very dimensional.
    All of the above is true.

It's good on the big screen though. Has some wow factor. Which annoyed me, because everything else wasn't great, but I was still wowwed and went away with a "yeah!" about the way the graphics work on a large screen.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't find it impressive that people can compare the story of Avatar to other stories? After all, didn't Shakespeare say there's only something like seven plots, and all stories use one of those seven plots?

I thought Avatar was very entertaining and enjoyable. It doesn't really make you "think," it makes you "feel..."
    But what does it make you "feel" exactly?

If by feeling, you mean the overwhelming urge to cringe at it's crudely ineffective storyline, atrocious dialogue, abundancy of cliches and the hypocrisy of a movie preaching about the "evils" of capitalism, technology and industrialization, when it cost 400 million dollars to make, putting to use the most advanced technology never before seen in the cinematic medium - Then yes, It made me "feel" something: Dizziness, Anger... Regret over having paid $15 for a mediocre movie (and a pair of glasses I'll never wear again)

I don't understand the appeal of 3-D, I suppose. It seems like an expensive gimmick utilized with the intention of distracting an audience from how truly shitty the movie is.

After ten minutes on Pandora and all the floating crap around me, I was unimpressed.

MBTI
    INxJ

Visually, it was stunning. The story was severely lacking. I wasn't impressed with the white hero taking their side, only to become their 'noble' leader afterward.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Just like the overhyped Dark Knight, I won't watch this film until I can see it for free.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP

As I so eloquently stated in the Whatcha Watched thread, it was a piece of shit, and the "Get some!" rip-off from FMJ was shameless and empty.

What do you think of kids seeing this?
    I have never seen such CG.The movie is gorgeous. The bioluminescenct plants in the forest were so other-world beautiful.The creatures & plant life was amazing.Children younger than 13, especially those who are acquainted with video games and sci-fi then It should be fine to watch the movie.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Currently semi-watching Aliens. Ripley just agreed to go back out and face down her (literal) demons.

Most James Cameron movies have a strong female lead, often one that learns to become the pillar of strength. In Avatar, we have a guy, and they had to cripple him at the start. Because a fully ambulatory man isn't weak enough to learn how to be a hero?

Just a musing.