• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

reccommend me some awesome PC games from the 90s

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
my computer isn't a gaming computer by today's standards; I imagine it would have a lot of trouble playing L4D or Half Life 2 even. It's ridden with spyware, lags, blah blah. So I'm catching up on old games that I used to play. Stuff I'm playing/have just played include:

C&C Red Alert
Starcraft, Brood War
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
Populous: The Beginning
Need For Speed: Underground
Half Life
Quake 2
Duke Nukem 3d
GTA 2, 3, Vice City (San Andreas gave me some trouble)
Simcity 3000
Tomb Raider 2
Final Fantasy 7
Diablo 2
Darkstone

could you recommend me good games that were released around that period (so that my poor sad computer can handle them)?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Shogun, total war.

No mention of any roleplay games on your list, be if you fancy giving one a try, I'd recommend Planescape:Torment.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Escape Velocity.
Oregon Trail.
Doom 1 & 2.
X-Plane 3.
Dogfight City.
Spectre.
WarCraft 1 & 2/BNE.

P.S. Using some emulators (SNES, NES, Sega Genesis etc.) will open the door to thousands of more games.

Tantive

MBTI Type
INFP
Open TTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe) ;) ....has multiplayer and lots of other enhancements

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Warcraft 2- Warcraft 2 Full Free Game Download - Warcraft 2 - PixelRage Download

That's the full game... just gotta click on WAR2 in the folder after you unzip it. The file (which I got from there) doesn't have any viruses. I scanned it. Saves work, pretty much everything works for single player.

flaksjdflaksjdf.jpg

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
nn other games than diablo 2 and solitaire

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
RTS:
Dune 2, first of its kind. (-> Command and Conquer, Red Alert)
Dark Reign, great multiplayer aspect for 1on1, first RTS to involve more advanced movement tactics, such as advanced pathings.

Adventure:
Quest for Glory 4, best of the qfg series in my opinion, and best adventure ever to be made, first adventure to include well done voices. John-Rhys Davies as the narrator ftw! (If you have cd version at least).
Personally really liked Indiana Jones 4, fate of atlantis as well
Other adventures of sierra all fun too.

Fps:
Action Quake 2 - Best multiplayer mod ever made, in my opinion. Based on quake 2 engine, but nothing like it. It's the fastest multiplayer first person shooter ever created. Houses deathmatches as well as teamplay. Next to WoW, this is the game I spent most time on. I hear there are still some servers active if you look hard enough.

Simulation:
Colonization, Civilization.
Transport Tycoon, god knows how much time I spent on this game (Personally prefer the classic version over the deluxe version).

RPG's:
Arcanum - Totally awesome storyline, many different endings, ability to be just about anything you want to be and still beat the game. (ie. possible to finish the game with only 3 kills / Pacifist. Although not recommended unless you finished the game a few times already. :p )
Fallout/Fallout 2 - Much like Arcanum.
Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 2 LoD expansion. For a game that doesn't change much and rarily has much to offer, it's surprisingly addictive and fun to play.

Racing(ish)/Arcade
Carmageddon - Funsies
Grand Theft Auto 1+2

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Diablo 2 LoD expansion. For a game that doesn't change much and rarily has much to offer, it's surprisingly addictive and fun to play.

make new chars and quit the pvm shit and it changes enough :yes:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
make new chars and quit the pvm shit and it changes enough :yes:

I kept it interesting by going hardcore myself. the PvP aspect of diablo never really pulled me.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I kept it interesting by going hardcore myself. the PvP aspect of diablo never really pulled me.

no wonder if it gets boring if you pvm only, theres no challenge in pvm and hc is stupid because only way you can die is due to lag and when/if you die you lose the char. did you ever get bit more into pvp scene or did you just get owned and then gave up? it takes several years to really know the game

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
no wonder if it gets boring if you pvm only, theres no challenge in pvm and hc is stupid because only way you can die is due to lag and when/if you die you lose the char. did you ever get bit more into pvp scene or did you just get owned and then gave up? it takes several years to really know the game

Never said it got boring. By the way. :p

And no, I didn't ever get owned, I just never really partook, except for hunting down pk players and such. :p

Hardcore isn't just about lag. It's a factor but the most interesting part is dealing with and countering pk's, as well as rolling non cookie cutter builds to get through hell difficulty. My favorite build is a singing barb. It's challenging and requires a lot of strategy. But sure, if all you do is rolling hammerdin's, even hardcore won't be interesting.

PvP is just about bugs and exploiting boring spammable skills from what I've seen. Chargedin for example. I really can't see how diablo pvp can be fun long term. I once made a level 9 pvp char with cow king stuff and such I remember. I played some duels with it for a day or so. Got bored.

I did play the game quite a bit though, had several level 90+ characters on HC ladder (All classes except sorc, disliked sorc playstyle) until I moved on to WoW.

What I meant with the addictive part of the game is that the game isn't that big at all, but just had a great replayability, mainly due to the item system and scarcity of items.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Fps:
Action Quake 2 - Best multiplayer mod ever made, in my opinion. Based on quake 2 engine, but nothing like it. It's the fastest multiplayer first person shooter ever created. Houses deathmatches as well as teamplay. Next to WoW, this is the game I spent most time on. I hear there are still some servers active if you look hard enough.

I'd go Quake Team Fortress. It was my teenage addiction, and only time I've ever been in a clan. Actually, I'm not sure when clans started becoming big, but that has to be one of earlier games. Was also responsible for the rocket and grenade jump, and maybe the birth of real over the internet teamplay in FPS. Pity there aren't any TF servers around still for the OP. I played Quake 2 a bit, but it never seemed as fast and natural as quake.

Other games I liked from that era would be:

Warlords III
Warcraft II
C&C

(slightly older)

X-Com
Syndicate

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Adventure:
Quest for Glory 4, best of the qfg series in my opinion, and best adventure ever to be made, first adventure to include well done voices. John-Rhys Davies as the narrator ftw! (If you have cd version at least).

Thank goodness for another QfG fan. I only played the first four but was completely enamored by them, the sense of humor coupled with the ability to wring pathos (thinking specifically of Katrina and her story arc, I believe).

And yes, I played Doom(s), Quake(s), Need for Speed(s), Civilization(s), Tomb Raider(s), Black & White [the thrill of that game was training your avatar... especially if you went dark and sent the thing out to reap and pillage while all your little worshippers scattered screaming and begging for mercy... mua ha ha ha!]

Carmageddon? OMG... that game was a riot, it made me laugh so much. :)

WoW came in the 2000's.

I have to say that I think Tomb Raider has been massively overhyped and sometimes ruined at various spots of the franchise (nor do I enjoy the movies that much, they're just sort of... there... for me)... but the first two really moved me in ways other games had not up to that time, partly due to the gameplay but also the visual and musical ambiance. It was haunting and beautiful... and nothing beat that first time I was running through Lost World and the T-Rex loomed out of the mist and all I had was two little handguns and a shotgun... That wasn't done better until WoW redid the Lost World landscape even bigger and better, with the prerequisite devilsaur (?) stalking about.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really loved (love still, but overplayed it) masters of orion 2.

It should be easy to find as a torrent. You may need dos box or some fiddling to run it, depending on your version of windows.

diablo 2 is awesome too. Also heroes of might and magic III. I didn't like wc2 myself (prefer wc3) but many of my friends liked it a lot. same thing with heroes of might and magic II.

I'm tempted to check out some of the games listed here.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Unless your computer is truly ancient you should be able to run old school (nes, snes, genesis) console emulators. Those can chew up tons of time, and you may find a gem you missed, or an old favorite to play through again.