First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    Do you mind if I find other links to the images listed on that page so I can add them to the pretty eye candy here?
    Sure, I don't care. I would've linked from a different site if I had known that one would turn out to be such a pain .
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Sure, I don't care. I would've linked from a different site if I had known that one would turn out to be such a pain .
    It's a beautiful site and I can see why you used it, but you're right - what a nuisance.

Here they are (minus Isolde/Salome, because they're already in the thread and Perseus Slaying Medusa because I can't find it elsewhere).

This isn't on the list, but I found it when searching for the Savoy print and had never seen it before. Beautiful:

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

As soon as I find all the images I want, I'm going to post some Belgian Art Nouveau architecture in parts; sgraffito, glass, etc. To start, some Horta.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Ahh, good. I was waiting for the Horta....how about some Guimard? BTW, Our Public Broadcasting had a Documentary on Elbert Hubbard a couple of days ago I believe in The American Masters series. Pretty much bio but still good to see.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    Ahh, good. I was waiting for the Horta....how about some Guimard? BTW, Our Public Broadcasting had a Documentary on Elbert Hubbard a couple of days ago I believe in The American Masters series. Pretty much bio but still good to see.
    I've been collecting some images of Guimard's architecture and iron work for future posting, but have been unhappy with the quality and variety of the images so far. For now, I'm working on Belgian artists and architects, but France is not far behind. Horta, of course, was rightfully first on the list. I'm currently working on Paul Cauchie's sgraffites, but again am running into quality and quantity issues.

I didn't know about the documentary - I'll have to seek it out. I don't know much about Hubbard's life, actually, so the bio focus would work for me.

Feel free to post anything you'd like to contribute, too. If you have some Guimard pics you'd like to share, it would just make my job easier.

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Some Belgian Art Nouveau Sgraffite and Building Facades:
    (I'm going to post Privat Livemont's lithographs separately.)

Paul Cauchie:

Paul Hankar:

Gabriel van Dievoet:

Privat Livemont:

Last edited by BlueSprout; 01-01-2010 at 02:23 PM.

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Depression Ware

Okay, so this is somewhat unrelated, but I've been going through dishes during this holiday season and am now inspired to post about depression glass. My mother inherited and collected it and I have many fond memories of the hundreds of peices I grew up seeing and using every day.

For some background, depression glass/depression ware is the term used for household items, especially dishware, that were cheaply manufactured and sold or given away during the Great Depression. They were colorful and, I think, elegant looking considering how inexpensive they were. When you run your hands along the surface of the patterned glass, you can feel the intricate etchwork. It gives me goosebumps to this day.

^^^
    The ones I grew up with were gold, amber and green as well as Coronation red.

Here are other examples - and please feel free to share if you have memories of depression ware or own any yourself:

Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

¡cataplum!

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Uranium Glass

This thread is going from Se to Si all of a sudden. Again, inspired by looking through family heirlooms, I'm going to post about uranium glass. My family has a small, beautifully crafted art deco figurine. The piece is a nude bather who makes ripples in the water with her toes. Looking at it inspired me to find out more about the material it is crafted from, which is a subtle, translucent green glass made with uranium.

Uranium glass was commonly fashioned into household items, including dishware, from the mid 19th to mid 20th century. It ranges in color from a pale yellow to a striking green, can be semi-opaque or translucent, and glows under UV light. Uranium glass peaked in popularity from the 1880s to the 1920s, varying in color over time as manufacturers altered the mineral content of the formula. Production halted during the WWII and the Cold War because of the increased preciousness of Uranium.

Uranium glassware from the 1900s-1930s often reflected the Art Nouveau and Art Deco aesthetics. I couldn't find as many beautiful examples of the Art Nouveau style, but if I do I will edit this post to include them. Uranium was apparently used to produce some Depression Ware (see previous post) and some Uranium glass is nominally considered Depression glass, though there is nothing compositionally distinct about it.

Here are some lovely Art Deco examples:

Last edited by BlueSprout; 01-02-2010 at 11:49 AM.
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

¡cataplum!

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

I will be continuing to update this thread, though I think I'm officially dropping the Belgian art nouveau project because, as lovely as it is, there are too few good pictures available. I will be posting Privat Livemont's lithographs as promised, however. I'll try to make a post on 'la fee verte' in art nouveau soon as well.

I might start a thread dedicated to just Victoriana, because there are certain lost arts and items, such as hair (mourning) jewelry and carpet balls, that I want to post a little bit about. Is anyone else interested in Victorian art and culture?
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

¡cataplum!

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Émile Gallé:

There is a little about the Anglo-Japanese style/Japonisme that was a part of the Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau movements on the first page of the thread. I'm going to be posting about craftspeople who incorporated the Japanese aesthetic into their work for a little until I'm able to find the material I need for Belgian Art Nouveau.

Here are some enamel and cameo glass vases (and one lamp) by French Art Nouveau artist Emile Galle. His glass reflects his early study of botany and his interest in the Japanese philosophy of emphasizing harmony with nature (as learned through friend and Japanese expatriate Takashima Hokkai).

Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

¡cataplum!