• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mountaineering

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are any of you into mountain climbing? I would be especially interested if anyone has experience of the really extreme stuff (not necessarily meaning Everest...anyone can get dragged up that thing these days!)

I have no experience of it myself (well, except a fairly stiff hike up Mount Snowdon, haha) but I am fascinated by the literature...especially Joe Simpson (Touching the Void, etc). That book, and a fictionalized account of the first ascent of the Matterhorn, written for children, called Banner in the Sky, are mainly responsible for my fascination. The philosophy behind it intrigues me. Most of the people who write those books will say that a lot of the time they're not even having fun...but it is a compulsion...and they feel most alive when close to death...Not sure I agree with the philosophy, but very interesting!

It seems like a really ISTP kind of thing to do, maybe ESTP too but most of the climbers I've read about seem like quite shy solitary types.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Are any of you into mountain climbing? I would be especially interested if anyone has experience of the really extreme stuff (not necessarily meaning Everest...anyone can get dragged up that thing these days?)

It seems like a really ISTP kind of thing to do, maybe ESTP too but most of the climbers I've read about seem like quite shy solitary types.

I love mountain climbing! I have climbed most of the tallest in the Cascades (Northwest US) and a handful of misc stuff. It's an awesome experience, if anyone is interested in trying it I suggest you take a basic mountaineering course. It isn't just glorified hiking. :D

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love mountain climbing! I have climbed most of the tallest in the Cascades (Northwest US) and a handful of misc stuff. It's an awesome experience, if anyone is interested in trying it I suggest you take a basic mountaineering course. It isn't just glorified hiking. :D

That's so cool. And you are an ISTP, so there we go. ;)

Do you have any particularly awesome/frightening experiences you would like to share?

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yeah, I'm a climber too. I've done most of the Presidentials, and I'm getting started on the Adirondacks too. I've done Mt. Washington in snow as well, and skied down Hillman's Highway (ski trail)....that was my favorite experience. I find climbing is best done with a similarly minded partner. (Climbing alone is actually nicer, but for safety reasons, partner = good.).

As for what you're referring to above, it is somewhat true, although I'm not looking for death/near-death experiences. It's a challenge, and an experience. The climbing itself, is not especially enjoyable all the time, it can be tedious. But, the result, I find well worth it. Summiting an above-treeline mountain especially, on a clear day...is pretty spectacular.

As for scary experiences, I don't have much (I'm safe, and insane...odd combination.). Bear tracks quicken the pulse a bit though.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I love mountain climbing, too. I have climbed 23 mountains in the Eastern Alps so far (most of them in the 3000-3500 metres range), although none of them was anything extreme. I think that when you start, it can easily become an addiction. Looking down at the valleys getting smaller and smaller, while the top gets bigger and bigger, is one of the most charging experiences the world can offer.
I don't like danger but I have been in slightly dangerous situations, 3 times, because I like to climb mountains that aren't truly well-known. Each time I was climbing in this small group, called Monti del Sole (Sun's Mountains):

valdo02.jpg

Monti_del_Sole.jpg

As you can see, they're not that tall (2500m); however, their ridges are extremely steep, so there's only a handful of trodden trails; most of them are really small and pass next to 500m deep cliffs. I don't think I'm going there again, though, I'm starting to feel like I have already used up enough of my karma.

The ascent I liked most was up this mountain (Mount Antelao):

Antelao_da_San_Vito.jpg

Safe and beautiful.

I eventually want to try the Matterhorn, although I've heard some horror stories regarding the amount of people that you encounter while going up and down (kind of like a traffic jam).

S

Sniffles

Never done it, since there are no mountains here - but I'd be willing to try it some time. Only concern is what effect such an enviroment would have on me because of my asthma. I don't have attacks, but being in cold weather tends to be hard on my lungs.

I dunno, what would some here say about that?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Never done it, since there are no mountains here - but I'd be willing to try it some time. Only concern is what effect such an enviroment would have on me because of my asthma. I don't have attacks, but being in cold weather tends to be hard on my lungs.

If you go during the summer and during the central hours of the day, it shouldn't really be that cold (around 15°C as long as you don't go over 3500m). Take into account that you might feel the lack of oxigen above 2500m.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP

It's a lot of fun though, even if you can't get above treeline on your hike (below treeline on most mountains in summer is the same as it is at the base of the mountain, or not more than a couple degrees colder.). The biggest thing is just knowing your terrain and the dangers around. For example, Mt. Washington is one of the most breathtaking mountains around on a nice clear day when it's 60F in summer. The catch? If you see storm clouds coming, you'd better bolt for a hut or the base. Basically, above treeline on any given mountain is the most visually stunning by far, but also subject to the most extreme weather, and where rapid temperature changes can occur if something rolls in. Below treeline isn't any more dangerous than hiking through a normal forest (generally). So, if you're more susceptible to bad weather, you just need to be alert and know when to wait for another day. That's honestly the hardest part...knowing when to pack it in, and try again some other time, especially when you're "so close" to getting to where you wanted to reach.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some great pics etc! Thanks! :) Maybe I will actually try some day myself...maybe!