• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

<New> Super Mario Bros. Wii

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh so it's actually the same as the first one?

Both the Wii and the DS versions are entirely new games. The one for the Wii is better than the one for the DS, IMO, but I enjoyed both.

It most closely resembles Super Mario 3 and Super Mario world - to the point of even having ghost house levels with hidden exits, the Koopa Kids from Mario 3, airship levels, and a few levels with Yoshi.

Basically, it's a throw back to people like me that grew up on Super Mario 1-3 and Super Mario World. If you buy them, just make sure "New" is in the name.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Can someone tell me how to know the difference between the <new> mario game and an old one? I don't want to order an "old" one by mistake if I go to pick up the game.

the main difference is that they use the words "new" and "wii" in the title.

also, the ICE FLOWER.

and the random fuck penguin suit...

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
I just bought a DS with new mario. The first game I ever played was mario on the NES. good times.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Can someone tell me how to know the difference between the <new> mario game and an old one? I don't want to order an "old" one by mistake if I go to pick up the game.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the only Wii game with a red box. That would be the easiest way to tell. Also it has 4 player multiplayer.

There is also a similarly named game on the DS, but it is a totally different game. And there is Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii which is 3D mario, but I doubt these are the games you are looking for. (Actually from what I understand they are all good games, but the one in the red box is what this thread is talking about.)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We just decided to get a Wii for ourselves for Christmas, and I of course got that game. Long time Mario fan.

Also, I hear that this is the first Mario game since the 1983 Super Mario Bros. Arcade game to feature simultaneous multiplayer gameplay.
That wasn't "Super" yet; just "Mario Bros". That game didn't scroll; it was just one static screen like older games, so it was easier to have multiplayer.

Multiplayer on the scrolling "world" game is cool. Previously, you could only have simultaneous play on the special mini-games, including remakes of Mario Bros. This new game even has the Mario Bros board, in the Coin Battle mode, and when you clear it, you go up a pipe into a classic gray-green blocked underworld. (The regular game underworlds are never done like this anymore, though).

I think the new games have too much junk leftover from SMB3 and especially SMBWorld. Before those, it was just run forward and jump. Now, you're dealing with world maps, self-scrolling levels with platforms running on tracks, and phallic-like ramrods in the castles (doing 6-Tower right now, and I don't know how I'll ever get past Morton. Might have to go back somewhere and get a propeller hat). Some of the new

Here's my take on the evolution of the series:
BDMNQR Essays: Super Mario

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
*Raises hand* I've been going back and slowly collecting all the coins.

I've collect all the coins. The ones in Star World are murder, but since you haven't collected all the coins you wouldn't know that yet would you... :banana:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you get anything worthwhile for collecting all the ones in Star World?

I think I've finished the first 5 worlds. I dislike World 6 so I've been slacking.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP

I think I've finished the first 5 worlds. I dislike World 6 so I've been slacking.

Worthwhile is relative as this is a video game after all... :coffee:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's my take on the evolution of the series:
BDMNQR Essays: Super Mario

I scanned through this blog. That is an interesting take on the series. :) I especially found it interesting that parts of the arcade version of SMB were different from the NES version. I never knew that. I had only played the arcade version a few times, and then I got an NES shortly afterward and it seemed like the same game to me. At the time I thought it was really cool that my home version was just as good as the arcade version, which was not true for Atari 2600 games.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks.
The two versions do look pretty much the same, but 1-4 is the first level you will encounter that is different.

I've pretty much played through most of the levels, some not completing, and some using the Super guide. In battling Koopa, I keep slipping up in the area where he's as big as the whole screen and you have to wait for his fire to blast a path through the walls.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I've seen it being played at Best Buy... All I can say is that I give it props for going back to the classic 2-D style game play. I'm sure it's fun.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP

Did you ever find out?

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Touch me, get dizzy? :huh: wtf? I bathed!

All that to say, I'm really looking forward to this; feels like it's gonna be a great piece of Wiiwear.

That level rocks! You touch a spore (named Fuzzy) and Yoshi starts to act like a drunken idiot. The animation on his face is hilarious.

Mario Galaxy was simply amazing -I´m eagerly waiting for the second Mario for Wii.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I had a blast playing this. I played it co-op with a friend, and let me tell you, you'll never want to murder your friend more if you actually *try* to beat the game on co-op.

I was superior at the game, he had used several continues by world 3, whereas I'd amassed like 20 extra lives and very seldom died. I think he got frusterated with my skills and he sold it before I could beat it. :(

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I had a blast playing this. I played it co-op with a friend, and let me tell you, you'll never want to murder your friend more if you actually *try* to beat the game on co-op.

I was superior at the game, he had used several continues by world 3, whereas I'd amassed like 20 extra lives and very seldom died. I think he got frusterated with my skills and he sold it before I could beat it. :(

Heh this game is great! On co-op I don't see how I can have so much fun and yet be so frustrated at the same time. "Look you killed me...again!" LOL! :D

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
This is a fun game. It takes the best of many of the old games and rolls it into one.
I think the Ice flower and the penguin suit are cool additions.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I completely finished the game a few weeks ago. Even got all the star coins. (NEVER thought I'd ever beat 9-7; let alone get all the coins off of it). All it gives you for collecting the ones in World 9 is a fourth star in the "Select Game" screen. Getting all the star coins in 1-8 gave you three stars.

Now, I just play random levels for fun.