• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you play your RPGs!!

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
How do you develop your character in an RPG? For me, I like to level the main character to max level and just kill everything in one hit.

I did this with Final Fantasy III when i got to level 64 before the opera house when the normal level was only level 15 I believe. Also, I was level 99 before reaching the second world which caused all your character you get to be level 99 lol...

So, how do you develop your character in an RPG.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I like to level everyone up to the max, but I usually have my favorites. In the FF games I have 3-4 faves that I use primarily, but I still like to level everybody up completely to see what new powers and weapons they get. I usually have everybody leveled up before the end of the game because I'm so perfectionistic when it comes to uncovering all the secrets that I'll just scout the whole game forwards and backwards, and by the time this is done, all my characters are pretty much maxed out. You just have to have the discipline to switch out the good characters for the shitty ones when the time comes, so everyone gets their fair chance to level up. In my opinion, you've not completed an RPG until you've uncovered all the secrets and completely maxed out your characters, but I'm kind of neurotic about the whole ordeal. But god I love RPGs. Have you played FFXII yet? I've yet to get around to it still, but I heard it's cool.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I like to level everyone up to the max, but I usually have my favorites. In the FF games I have 3-4 faves that I use primarily, but I still like to level everybody up completely to see what new powers and weapons they get. I usually have everybody leveled up before the end of the game because I'm so perfectionistic when it comes to uncovering all the secrets that I'll just scout the whole game forwards and backwards, and by the time this is done, all my characters are pretty much maxed out. You just have to have the discipline to switch out the good characters for the shitty ones when the time comes, so everyone gets their fair chance to level up. In my opinion, you've not completed an RPG until you've uncovered all the secrets and completely maxed out your characters, but I'm kind of neurotic about the whole ordeal. But god I love RPGs. Have you played FFXII yet? I've yet to get around to it still, but I heard it's cool.

I played FFXII, but never finished it. I thought it was the worst Final Fantasy. Ok, maybe my wording isn't correct, its a well made game but I would fall asleep playing it for some reason. I'm waiting for FFXIII to come out, it's going to be awesome...i hope.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
How would you get rid of a ant infestation?

A. Do it yourself
B. Call for help
C. Nuke!!

Answer: C, I like using nuke to kill ants.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I'd coat myself with the right pheromones, make friends with all the little anties, and then nicely redirect them to my belligerent neighbor's house.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends on the RPG. In Final Fantasy kinds of games I like to be the best I can in that moment, get all of the best stuff. I'm less concerned about levels unless there is a good spell that's coming up.

In games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion I like to get the best things that I can get ASAP. In Fallout 3 I had the Deathclaw Gauntlet at level 3 (one of the things that I specialized in was unarmed and Endurance/Strength, so do the math ;)), and I wasn't even at GNR. Things pretty much got flattened, lol. I also look up how to get various weapons very early, and I do that (I got the Alien Blaster after I got the Deathclaw Gaunlet, so that I could kill the Yao Guai that one shot me on the way to getting the blaster). I did a glitch to get the power armor at level 1 and a follower at level 1. :)

I guess I'm basically about good gear and getting more stuff.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I usually stock up on healing items, level up my characters 3-5 levels on regular enemies, and check my recent loot and local weapon/armor stores for equipment upgrades before heading to the next segment of the adventure (acquiring however much money I need to get said equipment and supplies). This almost always works.

As for my fighting style, I usually don't waste time with stat boosters or stat drainers (I see those as ways of working around bad equipment and being underleveled if you want to struggle through unprepared, which they usually turn out to be in most games). I go for raw offensive power, preferably high-level spells and good weapons. Basically, I just try to dispatch the enemy as quickly as possible. I also usually just focus on healing and/or reviving my characters if the damage gets too bad, rather than trying to prevent damage, which is usually futile.

Kungpowish

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
two
I've recently developed a tendency to try to keep everyone at exactly the same level. I'll sacrifice efficiency to give the low level guy a kill for xp. It can be a little tedious sometimes but I like being able to count on everyone. Although for this to work I've been doing a lot of grinding, not letting the main damage dealers have more xp requires me to do a little more work.

dorcus0

MBTI Type
INTP
Basically plan out character development first. In games with multiple party members, I use the age-old formula of a tank, a melee backup tank, a glass cannon (archer or offensive magic), and a support/defensive mage. I usually don't bother letting the lowest-leveled character get the kill for xp. Games usually do a good job of exp distribution, so level lag never gets too bad. The only time I grind the lowest-level character is to get him a useful skill, never for the sake of level equality alone.

In games with just one character, it depends on how the skill tree works. If raising one skill does not exclude raising another (like in Oblivion or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (which I know isn't pure RPG)) then I don't really worry about it. Whatever skills gets trained most is obviously the one I need most. If raising one skill excludes raising another (like WoW. Especially WoW) then you really have to plan out your skill tree. Identify the most useful skills and get them as quickly as possible.

Strangely enough, I'm not so much of a completionist. I'm more of a beat-the-game-as-efficiently-as-possible kind of player. I only do side-quests for the rewards, and not really for the story. The only games where I don't have this just-beat-the-game mindset are point-and-click adventures like The Longest Journey (since the story is the whole point. But I have no qualms about using a walkthrough once the game degenerates into a pixel-hunt.).

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
How would you get rid of a ant infestation?

A. Do it yourself
B. Call for help
C. Nuke!!

Answer: C, I like using nuke to kill ants.

Nuke to kill anthill!...max leveling up well beyond necessary...its called overkill...an under using tools and over expending other resources...limits energy in other diverse and more expansive investments. Are you like that in real life? Never use a slegehammer to crack a nut/kill a fly.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I played FFXII, but never finished it. I thought it was the worst Final Fantasy. Ok, maybe my wording isn't correct, its a well made game but I would fall asleep playing it for some reason. I'm waiting for FFXIII to come out, it's going to be awesome...i hope.

Agreed.

I usually blow through the game as quickly as possible, saving the exploration for later runthroughs. For some reason, however, I managed to level myself up to 99 before beating FFVII. Thank you W-Item Elixir trick.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
I usually advance the story as much as I can, as soon as I can. This means equipping the best weapons/magic I can as quickly as possible. That lets me continue to brute-force my way through the game.

Usually I'll get stuck at certain points where the same baddies will kill my character over and over again. That's the signal to settle down and concentrate on leveling up for a while, so that I can take them on and advance that story!

Yes, and it's hard to switch characters when your main group is two digits above the others in terms of level.

Sometimes I'll let my brother take over because he has the patience (and the strategy guide) to level up all characters and develop their maximum abilities.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
RPGs? With real people, dice, paper.

Videogames are OK, but the real thing rocks.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What Geoff said since I'm over RPG's nowadays gave the board and dice a go and it went rather well.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
When I have more autonomy, I will probably try the dice, paper, real people thing. (My poor husband will be further perplexed and mildly embarrassed by my geekiness, I'm sure. Who knew you could be geekier than an INTP?)

Right now, I'm not sure how I play. I only play WoW and keep mostly to my main toon. I am always working on improving my gear and learning how to be a better part of whatever team I'm on, though I am by no means hard core. Normally, I heal and it is an enjoyable challenge.

I am adequate for my current level of play, but eventually, I'd like to move up to raiding.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ive been trying to stay away from RPGs because they eat up my time. But KOTOR online and Mass Effect 2 look like two RPGs which will be hard to resisit.