User Tag List

First 234

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

When I'm developing my party/characters I like to experiment with different combinations or builds that seem unorthodox to see what I can make come out of it. I don't try to max out levels or anything. In fact I prefer to try to beat the game with out having to take time to grind up a few levels. If I do grind it's becaue I want to unlock some special class or ability or something just to see how it works.

The way I play through the game depends on the game itself. If the story is good I usually focus on following the main plotline. If there are lots of neat places to explore then I'll check them out instead. If it's a really good game I'll see what I can do on my own, and then I'll play through the game a second time looking at a walkthrough so I can look at all the stuff I missed the first time.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I like to play hardcore mode or the most difficult difficulty and play without cheats and sufficiently nerfing myself by allowing my character to develop in a certain way if the game allows for non linear gameplay.

I enjoy being stuck on a tough part, trying to come up with workable strategies to get further in a game. If I don't challenge myself in a game or a game isn't too much of a challenge, I get bored within hours and the game gets shelved.

Most games are too linear to my liking though. There aren't many games like sierra's Arcanum, and if there are, I need to know about them. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

For me, the fun is in finding the perfect build within the confines of the game's system. As one might guess, I'm not the best at actually "role-playing."
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Depends on the kind of RPG.

If it's a single-player, I usually take the tactic of going through just enough story progression to get me to where I can go and start getting all the super-powerful weapons and armor. I'm the kind of person who does all the side-quests forever, gets the best gear possible in the game, and THEN goes and beats the game.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time, for example, I did not beat for two years. And when I did finally progress past the first two temples as adult Link, I beat the Water Temple boss with the Big Goron Sword, Nayru's Love, and Hover Boots.

If it's an MMO, I tend to do a mixture of questing/levelling and exploring with a little bit of sitting around watching the environment thrown in there. At some point in every MMO journey of mine, I try to get to the high-level places when I'm only a mid-level at best. I usually die a lot, but get to the super-hard dungeon that requires a raid to beat. And then I return to my guild/friends and "magically" reveal the best way to get to the dungeon even though I've never raided it before. When I get to the level cap, I usually find myself trying to get the best gear possible even if I don't really use it for anything. (There's an unfortunate trend in MMOs that the best gear stat-wise also is usually the best looking gear.) Eventually, I get bored just before completing my goal of the "best gear evar!11!!" and end up quitting or spending a lot of time sitting around doing nothing or working the market trying to get rich.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I got over my WoW fad by going on a server where I could buy the t1-t7 or whatever gear you needed in the set with cash so I didn't have to instance for frigging ever to get it. But then I used to be a big time RPG person, trying to resist, resist I tells ya!

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Most games are too linear to my liking though. There aren't many games like sierra's Arcanum, and if there are, I need to know about them. :P
    Arcanum was a gem. A bit lacking in polish but still interesting.

Fallout 2 is probably the least linear RPG I've ever played. There is a general plot path that leads you from place to place, sure, but you could walk right from the starter area to the end area and beat it. You're rather unlikely to figure this out the first time through, but there's nothing to stop you if you were curious and lucky enough.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I enjoy torturing myself by trying to do things way too early e.g. Doing every hunt as they happened to show up in FFXII.

It's frustrating as fuck, but the sense of accomplishment is worth it.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    I hoard items and never use them no matter how dire the situation.

Real example:
    Fuck! I'm low on HP and MP, maybe I should use an elixir...I have six, but I might need one later!

*reality check: I'm fighting the final boss*

...*uses the damned elixir.*
    hah I do this too. Save the best for last (or never if I forget I even have it and never use it).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    I hoard items and never use them no matter how dire the situation.

Real example:
    Fuck! I'm low on HP and MP, maybe I should use an elixir...I have six, but I might need one later!

*reality check: I'm fighting the final boss*

...*uses the damned elixir.*
    Yep, me too. I also do this type of thing in real life...
    Quote Originally Posted by RBounce View Post
    I have this habit of trying to pick every single option at once. For example if I have the option to save some blah blah blah town or help destroy it I end up making 2 - 3 save files just to see what each option leads to. Then I choose which outcome I'm more satisfied with and delete the rest of the files. This leads to a wasted half hour of playing the same scene over and over again.
    Games with multiple story lines/endings drive me nuts because I want to see absolutely EVERYTHING.

So...yeah. I'm a story-oriented type of person. I'm not worried so much about maxing out stats and completing the game 100% just to say I did it. (Not that there's anything wrong with doing that.) I usually only do sidequests if there's an interesting story to go along with it (or if the item you get is really super helpful). My brother is the type who wants to complete everything up to the bestiary. I'm not patient enough for stuff like that...I want to move on to the next sto-I mean game.