User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, I usually stock up on healing items, level up my characters 3-5 levels on regular enemies, and check my recent loot and local weapon/armor stores for equipment upgrades before heading to the next segment of the adventure (acquiring however much money I need to get said equipment and supplies). This almost always works.

As for my fighting style, I usually don't waste time with stat boosters or stat drainers (I see those as ways of working around bad equipment and being underleveled if you want to struggle through unprepared, which they usually turn out to be in most games). I go for raw offensive power, preferably high-level spells and good weapons. Basically, I just try to dispatch the enemy as quickly as possible. I also usually just focus on healing and/or reviving my characters if the damage gets too bad, rather than trying to prevent damage, which is usually futile.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    two
    Socionics
    ESE

I've recently developed a tendency to try to keep everyone at exactly the same level. I'll sacrifice efficiency to give the low level guy a kill for xp. It can be a little tedious sometimes but I like being able to count on everyone. Although for this to work I've been doing a lot of grinding, not letting the main damage dealers have more xp requires me to do a little more work.
    -There is nothing either good nor ill but thinking makes it so.

MBTI
    INTP

Basically plan out character development first. In games with multiple party members, I use the age-old formula of a tank, a melee backup tank, a glass cannon (archer or offensive magic), and a support/defensive mage. I usually don't bother letting the lowest-leveled character get the kill for xp. Games usually do a good job of exp distribution, so level lag never gets too bad. The only time I grind the lowest-level character is to get him a useful skill, never for the sake of level equality alone.

In games with just one character, it depends on how the skill tree works. If raising one skill does not exclude raising another (like in Oblivion or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (which I know isn't pure RPG)) then I don't really worry about it. Whatever skills gets trained most is obviously the one I need most. If raising one skill excludes raising another (like WoW. Especially WoW) then you really have to plan out your skill tree. Identify the most useful skills and get them as quickly as possible.

Strangely enough, I'm not so much of a completionist. I'm more of a beat-the-game-as-efficiently-as-possible kind of player. I only do side-quests for the rewards, and not really for the story. The only games where I don't have this just-beat-the-game mindset are point-and-click adventures like The Longest Journey (since the story is the whole point. But I have no qualms about using a walkthrough once the game degenerates into a pixel-hunt.).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    How would you get rid of a ant infestation?

A. Do it yourself
    B. Call for help
    C. Nuke!!

Answer: C, I like using nuke to kill ants.
    Nuke to kill anthill!...max leveling up well beyond necessary...its called overkill...an under using tools and over expending other resources...limits energy in other diverse and more expansive investments. Are you like that in real life? Never use a slegehammer to crack a nut/kill a fly.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    I played FFXII, but never finished it. I thought it was the worst Final Fantasy. Ok, maybe my wording isn't correct, its a well made game but I would fall asleep playing it for some reason. I'm waiting for FFXIII to come out, it's going to be awesome...i hope.
    Agreed.

I usually blow through the game as quickly as possible, saving the exploration for later runthroughs. For some reason, however, I managed to level myself up to 99 before beating FFVII. Thank you W-Item Elixir trick.

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

I usually advance the story as much as I can, as soon as I can. This means equipping the best weapons/magic I can as quickly as possible. That lets me continue to brute-force my way through the game.

Usually I'll get stuck at certain points where the same baddies will kill my character over and over again. That's the signal to settle down and concentrate on leveling up for a while, so that I can take them on and advance that story!

Yes, and it's hard to switch characters when your main group is two digits above the others in terms of level.

Sometimes I'll let my brother take over because he has the patience (and the strategy guide) to level up all characters and develop their maximum abilities.

MBTI
    INXP

RPGs? With real people, dice, paper.

Videogames are OK, but the real thing rocks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

What Geoff said since I'm over RPG's nowadays gave the board and dice a go and it went rather well.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

When I have more autonomy, I will probably try the dice, paper, real people thing. (My poor husband will be further perplexed and mildly embarrassed by my geekiness, I'm sure. Who knew you could be geekier than an INTP?)

Right now, I'm not sure how I play. I only play WoW and keep mostly to my main toon. I am always working on improving my gear and learning how to be a better part of whatever team I'm on, though I am by no means hard core. Normally, I heal and it is an enjoyable challenge.

I am adequate for my current level of play, but eventually, I'd like to move up to raiding.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Ive been trying to stay away from RPGs because they eat up my time. But KOTOR online and Mass Effect 2 look like two RPGs which will be hard to resisit.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"