User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drag Me to Hell

Hexis is right, it's a good movie but it's not really a horror film. If you're familiar with the Evil Dead movies and Army of Darkness you'll recognize a lot of things that were carried over in to this movie.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    I loved Drag Me To Hell, I thought it was pure genius. And for those of you who didnt like it you probably saw it with the expectations that it was suppose to be terrifying. It wasnt, it was done in the same style as the Evil Dead series. Yeah it contained horror in it but in the end it was more of a comedy. Partly serious but at the same time poking fun at those old black and white horror movies.
    Thanks for the heads-up, I know what to expect now. If I remember correctly, the commercials were probably responsible for the misapprehension that many people have; the previews did not mesh with the over-the-top title at all.

Senior Member Array AutumnReverie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    If I remember correctly, the commercials were probably responsible for the misapprehension that many people have; the previews did not mesh with the over-the-top title at all.
    Basically the same problem people had with "The Village". It actually was a very good movie (in the drama suspense category), but everyone said it sucked because it was marketed as a horror film and that's what they expected.

Perhaps people should start basing their opinions of movie on the actual movie and not what category it was filed under or perhaps these movies should just be categorized/promoted correctly. "Scream" wasn't a horror film either. It was written as a comedy poking fun at slasher films, but because of the amount of blood it was slapped with the "horror" label.

I LOVED this movie. And not in an ironic bad way. It's one of the best horror movies I've seen. It was scary, but the interesting thing was that it was scarier to listen to than to watch. Instead of the cliched "covering your eyes" reaction, you wanted to cover your ears. The sound was phenomenal. Sam Raimi has a way of making things work that have no business working.

EDIT: I should add that I'm not generally a fan of horror movies. I think 90% of them suck, because they're either not scary or they're just dumb.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Senior Member Array

I've been trying to convince people this movie was awesome since I saw it. It got a 95% on Rottne Tomatoes, which is saying something.