User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 94

  1. #71
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunshinebrighter View Post
    I couldn't take it seriously. Thought you were telling someone they are a musical elitist when they don't have your views after you talked about subjectivity. A hypocritical troll. Turns out you are just super anal.

    Either way. This is my last post. Go ahead and call everyone you come across a "musical elitist" when they use the common wording of "it's bad". Good luck with your mission of cleaning the world of pedestrian talk.


    Actually, I've seen him troll before, and I don't think that's what he was doing here. I think he had extremely valid points, and for the record, your wording did make you seem a bit elitist. I thought so in the beginning, too. I'm not an NT, but I'm a lit major and I'll tell you that one of the most important factors in communication is clarity. If you're going to get pissed off every time someone misunderstands you, perhaps you should make an attempt to be better understood.

  2. #72
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Leave it to ISTP to contribute meaningful content.
    At least I don't spend hours of my time trying to prove my desperate opinions to randoms on a forum.

  3. #73
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    "Elitist" shouldn't be a dirty word. Especially if it means "someone who delineates between good and bad in art" as it seem to mean in this thread.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #74
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    "Elitist" shouldn't be a dirty word. Especially if it means "someone who delineates between good and bad in art" as it seem to mean in this thread.
    Pure mercury thinks that elitist is not a dirty word: quel surprise!

    I'd still love to see your supposedly "objective" argument for Usher being better than Panic! at the Disco.

  5. #75
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    At least I don't spend hours of my time trying to prove my desperate opinions to randoms on a forum.
    lol Se argument: "Oh YEAH? Well you're a loser!"
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  6. #76

    Default

    This thread is quality entertainment.

    I especially like the part where the Nickelback fan argues against corporate, bland music.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  7. #77
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    lord knows you can't ever question an INFP's feelings, or you're just an asshole!
    DON'T YOU DARE EVEN GO THERE, MAN. :steam:

  8. #78
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Pure mercury thinks that elitist is not a dirty word: quel surprise!

    I'd still love to see your supposedly "objective" argument for Usher being better than Panic! at the Disco.
    Several reasons.

    1) Quality songwriting - Usher has had songs written by people like Jermaine Dupri, Babyface, Seal, and the Avilas, who can put together excellent contemporary R&B songs. He co-writes, but usually leaves it up Panic! at the Disco tend to write shoddy pop songs with lots of studio flourishes, but no real hooks. The oversinging and stuffed-to-the-gills lyrics are infuriating.

    2) Singing - Usher is a talented (but not amazing) vocalist who always make appropriate choices for the material. His voice is elastic and supple enough to do both ballads and upbeat, dancefloor-oriented songs well. Brendon Urie make really bad choices often. The whining, the constant changes in pitch and speed. It's exhausting to the ear.

    3) Style - Usher is an engaging star. He sings, dances, acts, and writes. He puts on excellent live performances, and he is discerning in his projects. Panic! at the Disco manage to try way too hard while not breaking any new ground. They assimilate their influences in the worst ways. They have the literary aspirations (and lengthy song titles) of The Smiths without the ringing hooks of Johnny Marr or wry, knowing observations of Morrissey. They have the glammy image of Bowie, T. Rex, et al. without the cleverness or ironical appropriation of rock history. They have the guitar attack of punk rock without the confrontational stance or back-to-basics aesthetic. Overall, it's a mishmash of lightweight mainstream rock, studio gadgetry, and bratty punk. Given their clear influence by him, it's not surprising how much Panic! at the Disco are like a bad Chuck Palahniuk novel: nothing shocking or unsettling, just cringe-inducing and sad.

    P.S. Here is some side-by-side comparison.


    [YOUTUBE=8AZxUtZ2ZgI]Panic! at the Disco - Lying Is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes off[/YOUTUBE]


    [YOUTUBE=8ylrlxQz5So]Usher - You Make Me Wanna[/YOUTUBE]



    This isn't even close.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #79
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Several reasons.

    1) Quality songwriting - Usher has had songs written by people like Jermaine Dupri, Babyface, Seal, and the Avilas, who can put together excellent contemporary R&B songs. He co-writes, but usually leaves it up Panic! at the Disco tend to write shoddy pop songs with lots of studio flourishes, but no real hooks. The oversinging and stuffed-to-the-gills lyrics are infuriating.
    Infuriating is a subjective term. I'm not impressed by big names. Using names of famous musicians is not necessarily more impressive in terms of song writing. I'm very impressed that Panic! writes their own songs, even if Seal isn't involved. That's what real musicians do. I love the variety of instruments and styles of music that they employ. Plus, I find their lyrics to be part of the appeal. To me the lyrics are poetic, witty, and clever... not "infuriating." Urie's use of extensive vocabulary is quite frankly refreshing.

    2) Singing - Usher is a talented (but not amazing) vocalist who always make appropriate choices for the material. His voice is elastic and supple enough to do both ballads and upbeat, dancefloor-oriented songs well. Brendon Urie make really bad choices often. The whining, the constant changes in pitch and speed. It's exhausting to the ear.
    I love Brandon Urie's voice. I think his voice is intensely emotional and subtley sexual. He can actually do quite a few different things with his voice, what you call "constant changes in pitch and speed," gives his songs great energy and variety - and on Pretty.Odd. (which you obviously haven't listened to all the way through) his voice is consistently melodic. Again, you're being subjective. Sure, Usher has a nice voice. But it doesn't make his music any easier for me to listen to.

    3) Style - Usher is an engaging star. He sings, dances, acts, and writes. He puts on excellent live performances, and he is discerning in his projects. Panic! at the Disco manage to try way too hard while not breaking any new ground. They assimilate their influences in the worst ways. They have the literary aspirations (and lengthy song titles) of The Smiths without the ringing hooks of Johnny Marr or wry, knowing observations of Morrissey. They have the glammy image of Bowie, T. Rex, et al. without the cleverness or ironical appropriation of rock history. They have the guitar attack of punk rock without the confrontational stance or back-to-basics aesthetic. Overall, it's a mishmash of lightweight mainstream rock, studio gadgetry, and bratty punk. Given their clear influence by him, it's not surprising how much Panic! at the Disco are like a bad Chuck Palahniuk novel: nothing shocking or unsettling, just cringe-inducing and sad.
    This is an extremely emotional appraisal for what is supposed to be an objective argument.

    P.S. Here is some side-by-side comparison.


    [YOUTUBE=8AZxUtZ2ZgI]Panic! at the Disco - Lying Is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes off[/YOUTUBE]


    [YOUTUBE=8ylrlxQz5So]Usher - You Make Me Wanna[/YOUTUBE]



    This isn't even close.
    You're so right. I like the Panic! at the Disco song soooooo much better. It makes my panties wet. Unlike the Usher song, which has merely been played to death on Top 40 radio.

    I'm not saying Usher is worse, because he's obviously talented, but I like Panic! at the Disco much better, and for me Usher's music just blends into a sea of boring R&B....and, no, it's not because I don't like R&B as a rule. I love Al Green, for example.

    It's not that your argument isn't effective, either. Of course you have a well-constructed argument for why you subjectively prefer Usher.

    Objective argument: FAIL.

  10. #80
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    lol Se argument: "Oh YEAH? Well you're a loser!"
    Ne argument: Oh well let me just waste endless hours of my trivial life on proving to the world I'm l33t. Oh FUK MY STOVE IS ON FIRE!.

Similar Threads

  1. Open mic night at the MBTIc karaoke and waffle bar
    By Martoon in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 12:42 PM
  2. panic! at the disco
    By cheap in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 12:08 AM
  3. [NT] NTs are at the bottom of society
    By Jgib5328 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
  4. [Other] A day at the Point...
    By The Ü™ in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 10:56 AM
  5. My avatar at the moment
    By rivercrow in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO