User Tag List

12 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default Fair Play and the ethics of sports...

I don't know is someone heard about this, but yesterday, France's soccer qualified against Ireland, againts the course of the match. Unfortunately, it was Thierry Henry's hand that allowed this wonderful score, even if the referee didn't see it.

May be you remember Argentina and Maradonna, who qualified his own team thanks to a similar event. Well, I do not doubt for a second that should have this happened again with nations like Argentina or Italy, everybody would have been pleased and even festive (because everyone knows that Italy's soccer team are the worst cheaters in the world, that's a well established fact).
    But in France, this event is progressively turning into a real tragedy. All the French media are now explaining how unfair this victory was, and how our national team clearly didn't deserve it.

I'm even hearing the possibility that we could replay this match.

France is a very curious nation. Whether in war or in sport, "fair play" has been a very long tradition. Most of the time, it didn't help us a lot, but that's in our culture.

And now, while in theory our team won, it behaves just exactly as it would have lost.
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 11-20-2009 at 03:59 AM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I don't know is someone heard about this, but yesterday, France's soccer qualified against Ireland, againts the course of the match. Unfortunately, it was Thierry Henry's hand that allowed this wonderful score, even if the arbiter didn't see it.

May be you remember Argentina and Maradonna, who qualified his own team thanks to a similar event. Well, I do not doubt for a second that should have this happened again with nations like Argentina or Italy, everybody would have been pleased and even festive (because everyone knows that Italy's soccer team are the worst cheaters in the world, that's a well established fact).
    But in France, this event is progressively turning into a real tragedy. All the French media are now explaining how unfair this victory was, and how our national team clearly didn't deserve it.

I'm even hearing the possibility that we could replay this match.

France is a very curious nation. Whether in war or in sport, "fair play" has been a very long tradition. Most of the time, it didn't help us a lot, but that's in our culture.

And now, while in theory our team won, it behaves just exactly as it would have lost.

So Ireland scored on themselves?
    Please clarify, I wish to make sure I understand this fully...

NOTE: When I was 8, I played soccer in a German community league. I played center halfback, and went to the backfield to try to stop an unexpected advance from the other team's forwards, I got the ball, and while trying to get to spot open enough to pass, I heard my coach yell "Kick the ball to our goalie, he is close to you!" So, I turned around and gave the ball a teeny-tiny kick to the goalie...who missed it...and let it become a goal for the other team.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

No Australians allowed in this thread.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    No Australians allowed in this thread.
    All Australians in are imprisoned in other countries. That continent is filled with kangaroos, koala bears, and cockatoos. Everyone knows that, Quinlan!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    So Ireland scored on themselves?
    Please clarify, I wish to make sure I understand this fully...
    Ireland carried the play for most of the match, and France scored to break a 1-1 tie near the very end. Replays showed clearly that the French player directed the ball with his hand, although the referee did not see it. The Irish government is demanding a replay of the game, and while that won't happen, many on the French side sympathize.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Ireland carried the play for most of the match, and France scored to break a 1-1 tie near the very end. Replays showed clearly that the French player directed the ball with his hand, although the referee did not see it. The Irish government is demanding a replay of the game, and while that won't happen, many on the French side sympathize.
    Hence the refernce to Maradonna and the "Hand of God."
    No instant replay clause as in the NFL then, eh?
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes:

MBTI
    NICE

I don't know whether a replay is a good course of action. The way football is judged is through the referee and the linesmen; sadly video evidence is not allowed, as with other sports - presumably due to "tradition" (I can't think of any other sport that's filmed from as many angles as football, so the infrastructure is there). The action is described in the Huffington Post as:

The game appeared headed to penalty kicks when Florent Malouda sent a free kick to Henry at the post to the right of goalkeeper Shay Given in the 103rd minute. Henry got between defender Paul McShane and Given, stopped the ball with his left hand, then used his hand again and poked the ball with his outstretched right foot in front of the net.

"He almost caught it and walked into the net with it," said Robbie Keane, who had put the Irish ahead in the 33rd minute.

Gallas headed the ball into the net from about 1 yard as Irish players raised their hands in protest at Hansson.

From: Thierry Henry Handball Goal VIDEO: "Le Hand Of God" Goal Puts France Past Ireland

Clearly the problem is in the way the game is reffed. It's very noble of Blackmail! to accept an injustice has been done - fair play - but the same could be said of scores of games played across Europe, all of which cannot be replayed.

The French should enjoy the win; after all, a bit of controversy is part of the game.

But hats of to the French; looks like Henry's been in England too long.

Edit: This bunch don't seem to have the same sporting attitude as our French chums:

BBC News - Egypt recalls Algerian envoy as football row deepens

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Football needs video replays. Football is supposed to be a game of skill, not skill + conning the referee as much as possible. Henry acted a bit of a scumbag really, but so does every footballer from time to time. Some Irish players have come out and said they would have done the same thing given the opportunity, I'm not sure if I could have resisted myself (I'm semi-joking I'm not a cheat).

At the time I was drunk and thought it would still go to penalties when the final whistle went (and I don't remember any of the night after the whistle).
    But in the morning after seeing it on the news, I spent the day quite angry. I was thinking how when they bring the flags out for the opening World Cup ceremony they shouldn't bring out the French flag. Any team playing France in a game should just standstill for 90 minutes and refuse to play them. I felt that noone should speak to the French people in South Africa. I was thinking if I had the choice : that England would lose every match at the World Cup and France were guaranteed not to win the tournament, I would take it. To be honest, I think now (after I've calmed down) if I could make it so that it's impossible for France to win the World Cup, so long as England can't win the World Cup. I'd probably take that.

It's a bit of a shame really, it's a blight on the tournament which is supposed to be a spectacle and a celebration not shady and ultra-competetive. Ireland pretty much deserved to join the party in South Africa even though France are probably the stronger team but oh well that's the way of the world sometimes .

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    But hats of to the French; looks like Henry's been in England too long.
    What do you mean by this?

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by 6.4 View Post
    Any team playing France in a game should just standstill for 90 minutes and refuse to play them.
    Were you around in '98?

MBTI
    INTP

If the team is truly deserving of the title they will win the rematch. The team that wins fairly deserves the prize.