123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Angry The Mist - Ending Scene

Watched it randomly last night. So, apart from being one (seriously) frustrating film to watch, which had me smack my head against the sofa a few times through - what ruined everything about it was the damn ending! Corrupted beyond belief, what the hell?!!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8uPYulh05I"]The Mist, Ending.[/YOUTUBE]
    [Be Advised: 15-rated, contains gore.]

... Think the makers need to get themselves some mannequins.

(For those whom watched it - feel free to share your opinions to it. Cheers.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I rented it once when there wasn't anything else to rent. I didn't have high hopes for it, but I did hope that it would be somewhat enjoyable. I like it when stories contain a "real world gone awry." However, this film was simply too unrealistic to be believable. In order to suspend disbelief, if you're going to have something totally unbelievable in your story, like some mystic mist that comes out of nowhere, then the other elements of the story have to be believable. For example, the plot, the characters, etc.

Remember the guy with the gun in the store who sold himself as an "expert marksman?" I don't remember why he was a good shot, whether he was a hunter, or he was in the army, or what, but he was not a good shot. This is just one example of a hundred little things that were completely unrealistic about the story. A lot of horror films suffer from this kind of "don't go in there, oh now she went in there ahhh!" syndrome. In real life, you would never go in there. You would turn around, and leave.

What I would like to see is a horror movie where they turn around and leave instead of going in there, then something gets them anyway. This kind of realistic behavior coupled with realistic character motivations would really help suspend disbelief of the otherwordly elements of such stories...

To comment on the ending specifically: Thankfully, the entire movie leading up to the ending is so disappointing that it softens the blow of the ending. However, if you are even thinking of renting this film, watch the ending posted above first. The film is so pointless that there's nothing to spoil, and I gaurantee you that after seeing the ending you won't be watching the film...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've heard about the ending and it turned me off from ever seeing the film.
    I did like the novella a great deal... including the ORIGINAL ending.

What's funny is that, while King is known as a "horror" writer, a lot of his (best) writing involves hope. Unfortunately, even he tends to drop into schlock when it comes to transferring things to the big screen.

Remember the guy with the gun in the store who sold himself as an "expert marksman?" I don't remember why he was a good shot, whether he was a hunter, or he was in the army, or what, but he was not a good shot. This is just one example of a hundred little things that were completely unrealistic about the story. A lot of horror films suffer from this kind of "don't go in there, oh now she went in there ahhh!" syndrome. In real life, you would never go in there. You would turn around, and leave.
    I agree. The best movies let the characters make GOOD decisions... or they end up having GOOD reasons for entering some dubious locations... but the horror finds them anyway.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I've heard about the ending and it turned me off from ever seeing the film.
    I did like the novella a great deal... including the ORIGINAL ending.

What's funny is that, while King is known as a "horror" writer, a lot of his (best) writing involves hope. Unfortunately, even he tends to drop into schlock when it comes to transferring things to the big screen.
    The novellas ending wasnt exactly hopeful either, it just left more to the imagination (about what seemed like their inevitable fate) which was perhaps even more terrifying. And it was Frank Darabonts movie, not Kings. Actually the few that King directed himself were among the worst (Maximum Overdrive being one off the top of my head).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I thought the entire thing was fantastic and probably one of the best endings ive ever seen to a movie.

I hate this sense that people think all good movies end "beautifully" or with the good guys on top. The end to The Mist made the movie for me, it was like a hammer blow to the head you just didnt see it coming. I keep hearing how so many people hated it just for the ending. I personally loved it.
    SDMF

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    I thought the entire thing was fantastic and probably one of the best endings ive ever seen to a movie.

I hate this sense that people think all good movies end "beautifully" or with the good guys on top. The end to The Mist made the movie for me, it was like a hammer blow to the head you just didnt see it coming. I keep hearing how so many people hated it just for the ending. I personally loved it.
    For me, the ending does not have to be happy, it just has to provide the pay off. This is something that all stories should do, regardless. For example, I really enjoyed Gilliam's version of Brazil vs. the producer's version. The reason I didn't enjoy the Mist ending is that there was no pay off...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

See I felt the movie was an emotional roller coaster of sorts and instead of getting off at the end the ride blew up in your face. Completely unexpected and thought as well as emotionally provoking. I got what I wanted out of the movie and was very pleased.
    SDMF

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Apart from the ending in Saw V, this was another that had me go a little mad - and it was just not the ending, but most part of the film was going quite dry. For those that watched it; to name Mrs. Carmody as one of the characters that affected it. I personally don't think there was much detail to the way things were building in the film -and I didn't like the part where the soldier got stabbed by that small-time mob. Things were flying about everywhere.

... None the less, the ending was the worst thing I have ever encountered - it dismissed everything that makes things seem more 'real'. Pathetic.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I dont watch movies for a since of "real"ness their suppose to be what takes the mind out of the real world not re-afirm the limits of reality.
    SDMF

MBTI
    INTP

Really? I thought the end was pretty funny. Made me laugh.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.