• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Mist - Ending Scene

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
I thought the ending was at least very original. sort of a greek tragedy.
I read the book years ago and think they did a good job for once. I completely agree with Hexis.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I happened upon this movie a week ago!!!!

I was intuitive/perceptive enough to realize within several minutes of watching that is was more than just a horror film, so I looked it up on wikipedia, and read about the fucked up ending, THANK GOD!!!

So, I stopped watching it 20 minutes before it was scheduled to be over.

I spoke to an ISTP who both watched the movie and read the novella, he said that the movie was more fucked up for the protagonist yet more uplifting for mankind, I dunno.

Ugh, just reading about it disturbed the fuck out of me, to be put in that situation...

:sad:

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I actually really enjoyed this movie and the ending. Not to say it was well done, but little things were good.
I also really like those times where you can think "You know what would be really messed up..." and it turns out to be that worst possible scenario. I don't want it in every movie, but it's a bit refreshing from the usual way they end.
I think the only thing i would have changed was the duration of time that passed before the trucks passed him.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've heard whining about this ending before, but I thought it was a good movie with a good ending. That's how a twist ought to be done.

As I've said about other movies, I watch to become/feel engaged, and if some people say they don't like the ending because it's "depressing," then I say the movie-maker has accomplished what he set out to do.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've heard whining about this ending before, but I thought it was a good movie with a good ending. That's how a twist ought to be done.

As I've said about other movies, I watch to become/feel engaged, and if some people say they don't like the ending because it's "depressing," then I say the movie-maker has accomplished what he set out to do.

Well, with me I don't care if the end is depressing (I like the "tragic" British original ending to The Descent far better than the vague American one)... I just hate it when a good story with a good ending is changed needlessly and to lower quality in the translation to cinema. The story was more nuanced with King's treatment.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Right...I never read the book, so maybe that's true.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't mind if a story ending is depressing either. The "Love Conquers All" version of Brazil is an abomination. And it preferred the director's cut of Blade Runner. I didn't think the end of The Mist was depressing: it was simply pointless. That's what I got out of it; others may see something different. That's what's great about art.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Was not impressed with the majority of the movie, but I cried like a little girl at the ending. But I don't give a shit about "real" and I lose myself in stories pretty easily, suspending my disbelief comes naturally to me.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I hated the rest of the movie. So when the ending rolled around, it was kind of a relief. I just wanted it to be over and it was. And in a way it made me feel like I got back at the characters for being so dumb.

+1 for the ending. Pay back's a bitch.
-3 for the movie.

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4
Are people here ever gonna stop whining about the ending of this movie? King himself has said he liked it better than his, that he wished he’d thought of it.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Wow, what a coincidence..I get on TypoC right after getting done watching this movie with some friends in my basement.

As for the movie, I thought the whole Octopus/Bug/Monster thing was a little cheesy. The story could have been a lot more tense and mysterious if they left it at The Mist..a state of unknown fear.

As for the ending, it was in short, terribly depressing. What would I have done? I don't have words..wife's gone..son's dead..everything in my life destroyed..I'd either seek revenge or commit suicide.

edit: I REALLY enjoyed the ending. That is a horror movie ending, and it is definitely appropriate in light of King's psychological terror sense of consciousness in his works. That is exactly how a horror movie should end in my opinion.

Lark

I'm surprised at some of the comments in this thread because I really liked the movie.

I thought that it was one of the best committee siege or group of people under pressure movies there is, the focus and horror is supposed to be in the response of the group to one another as the crisis escalates, they begin knowing that the doomsday preacher is crazy but slowly gravitate toward them an supporting them.

Its the same dynamic on a grander scale that lead to the rise to power of the Nazis as "saviours" of the German people.

I did feel that the ending was predictable and therefore it disappointed a little, it would have been more of a horror perhaps if the mist cleared and he saw utter devastation and death and he was left alive looking for ammo to off himself or go snapped up by a monster. Although I'm pretty optimistic by nature and wouldnt be very quick to believe that all hope is gone until I was literally personally snuffed out.

inebriato

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I felt really fustrated be the ending too. I was angry that he killed them in the first place.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I felt really fustrated be the ending too. I was angry that he killed them in the first place.

I agree with you. It sucked ass. :thumbdown:

I'll never watch that film, and am glad I know in adcance what bullshit I've spared myself from by avoiding it.

Look at what that dumb ass has to deal with now.
There is no way in hell I could ever do that.
My job is to keep my family alive.

If some monster octopus monster from hell is going to kill us, well damn it that's how it goes, but there is no way I consider what that man did acceptable.

I think the whole concept is warped and fucked up. I know its just a movie, but that really pissed me off.

lookingglassworld

MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
3w4
:cry:I started crying and cussing at the screen(A lot of sense that made,not) The end was darkly ironic. I hated that he killed his son only for help just to arrive. That movie could suck all the warmth out of an icecube!! I won't watch that again!!:shock::steam::shock:

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Watched it again. Demented me at what was going on, still.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As for the movie, I thought the whole Octopus/Bug/Monster thing was a little cheesy. The story could have been a lot more tense and mysterious if they left it at The Mist..a state of unknown fear.

Those parts are actually right out of the story, probably some of the most literal parts of what King wrote.

The problem, really, as with much of King's stuff, is that what works really well on paper (because he knows how to weave a narrative) visually does not work well. He's a writer, not a visual artist, and much of his stuff has not translated that well. The better pieces are the ones that focus on psychological horror and stuff that doesn't use a lot of special effects.

In the story, the tentacles, spiders, etc., were really creepy in how he wrote them. He's quite the audial/textual magician, he can take crap and make it look good on a page... but don't expect it to translate well.

edit: I REALLY enjoyed the ending. That is a horror movie ending, and it is definitely appropriate in light of King's psychological terror sense of consciousness in his works. That is exactly how a horror movie should end in my opinion.

King's original ending wasn't anywhere close.

Darabont usually does "feel good" movies too; I took it as his way to give everyone the middle finger and say, "Hey, look, I can be dark too!"

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We watched the Mist a while back... I hated the ending :(

What did they really acheive by ending it that way? "being clever"? Seriously- you spend the whole movie hoping that they'll survive only to have them all get killed in the end and the main character feeling like a monster? If I want to watch something depressing I'll turn on the news- movies are a chance to escape from reality! :thelook: