• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

V

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So this new show starts tonight. I haven't done any looking into it and wasn't interested at all until I realized who was starring in it last night.

morena-baccarin.jpg
Morena Baccarin.

Very sad that she has short hair now. But I still almost...

ANDY%20SAM%20JIZZ.jpg

Anyone else going to be following the show? I got caught up on Flash Forward last night too. It's pretty good.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I will DEFINITELY be watching. Let's reconvene tomorrow!!!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I knew they were considering making a movie of Kenneth Johnson's sequel book to the original V, but I didn't know until very recently they were making a series that remakes the entire story. I'll still probably check it out, but it's disappointing to me that they decided to change things when the original story was pretty awesome the way it was.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds cool. I'm going to watch tonight. I need an interesting series to start watching.

Edit: Ohmygosh I just looked it up. I'm so excited! :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
The last thing I need is another show to watch, but I will definitely be watching. I loved the original miniseries, although the weekly series kind of sucked. I have no idea who this new alien chick is, but I know she's no Jane Badler. Mmm.

v.jpg

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I predict hoards and hoards of men having a crush on this woman because she is hot, alien (=weird, different), and in charge!

You heard it here first!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The last thing I need is another show to watch, but I will definitely be watching. I loved the original miniseries, although the weekly series kind of sucked. I have no idea who this new alien chick is, but I know she's no Jane Badler. Mmm.

v.jpg

Agreed on all counts. I liked the first episode enough to keep watching for now. And I read they're only doing 4 episodes in the fall, more won't air til after the winter olympics.

I thought the pace was a little too fast, but then that's typical of most modern drama shows. I think the original miniseries set an incredibly high standard though, I have to view the new one as kind of its own entity because if I spend too much time comparing it to the original, it will come off as a pale imitation. I have the DVDs of the original and The Final Battle, and have re-watched them quite often and never get tired of them. The scene with Julie making her "The visitors are NOT our friends! They've come to rape our planet and kill us!" speech and tearing off the side of John's fake face is one of the most memorable TV images of my childhood.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I was kind of disappointed. First of all, the only thing it shares in common with the original is the name and the fact that giant spaceships have bad intentions. Even "V" means something different. And when giant spaceships appear overhead, two nerds are going to argue over the originality of Independence Day? Really?

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I was severely disappointed. The dialogue was terrible and the writing was just pathetic. There was no strong story and too many presumptions with no explanations. I was actually pissed off watching this last night. Bummer.

What really made me angry was the interviewer being asked not to say anything negative and him not even asking her WHAT would be considered negative, especially since they are coming in peace and trying to help aid us.

And did anyone catch that ONE line when they explained why they were here? Something about being far away from their home planet??

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought it was great. They're making us wait to get our questions answered. I especially liked the idea of the traitor aliens! :cheese:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
advanced race of alien attacks resistance cell.
1- sends some advanced SUPER VISIBLE flying equivalent of a shrapnel bomb
2- Rush like madmen with knives, yes, you heard that right, stupid knives.

How did they even manage to invent fire?

I really felt like they were in such a hurry that they had to make everything excessively straightforward. Too bad. I also think I could have written a better script with 2 fingers up my ass, but hey, I never say no to a sci fi flick :laugh:

The 'leader of the aliens' lady displayed some great acting, perfect equilibrium of 'stereotypical warm human bodylanguage and a vague 'fake' vibe. I liked the very last scene of the first episode, when she's looking at new york from her spaceship and blinks, it was both perfectly 'normal' and somewhat reminiscent of 'a reptile'. (though I didn't like how it meant assuming that human experience of bodylanguages applies to an alien species)

The teenager visitors fan is the cliché everybody hoped to avoid but expected to see.

That whole bs theological 'but how can there be aliens and men in god's universe', i mean, get over the 15th century already. Using bad ethnocentered religious ideas to hint at the visitors not fitting their own picture or something just seemed quite dumb.

Also, while i get the old 'lizard men from space' theme fitted perfectly back in the heighties I'd have liked them to at least not basically hint at the Vs being evil 'because they don't really look exactly like humans'. Again, ethnocentered and stupid and somehow never bothers people until you use the 'racism' word and everybody starts screaming, green undertones and scales doesn't make them biblical snakes.

Even if they wanted to use the highly shaky idea that the Vs come from a similar environnement and that some biological law make the 'lizard-like sentient species' a quasi rule in the absence of extinction events; assuming ANY relevant shared traits between our perception of the our reptiles' and the personalities of the Vs would be like assuming we act and think like our long gone rodent ancestors, preposterous.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
That whole bs theological 'but how can there be aliens and men in god's universe', i mean, get over the 15th century already. Using bad ethnocentered religious ideas to hint at the visitors not fitting their own picture or something just seemed quite dumb.

Oh don't get me started on the young hot priest telling the older one to be wary of false idols :)doh:) and them both tossing around the lord's name in vain. Classic.

The worst piece of writing and acting was when that dude wheeled himself into the room with the priests, only to stand up dramatically. Rolled my eyes till they almost fell out of their sockets...

It was laughable that the aliens required that the kid's ask their parents to sign waivers if they are under 18.

I did like that the FBI partner and the very hot Morris Chestnut were one of the Others, though.

MBTI Type
INTJ
The 'leader of the aliens' lady displayed some great acting, perfect equilibrium of 'stereotypical warm human bodylanguage and a vague 'fake' vibe. I liked the very last scene of the first episode, when she's looking at new york from her spaceship and blinks, it was both perfectly 'normal' and somewhat reminiscent of 'a reptile'. (though I didn't like how it meant assuming that human experience of bodylanguages applies to an alien species)

I agree with this. She was the best/only really good thing about it. She really nailed the "not human trying to act human" thing, and she even looks a bit reptilian. But still hot. The F-15 crash and the lifeless pilot in the parachute was pretty cool, too. Still very disappointed.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
It was laughable that the aliens required that the kid's ask their parents to sign waivers if they are under 18.

Actually I thought that was the only part that made some sense

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'll probably give it a chance for a while. I was a fan of the original miniseries (and even the TV series - hey, I was young, and it was the only sci-fi on TV) so I was pretty excited to see it come back, but, I don't know how it'll work long-term. It seemed shallow in a lot of ways - or rather it just tried to cover too much in the allotted time for anything to seem more than coincidental. Will have to wait and see how much of that was due to it being the pilot and trying to cram a lot of events in a one-hour show and how much of it was due to sloppy, poorly plotted writing.

I agree with some of the just awful scenes... the horribly done totally played out cliche of the guy in the wheelchair standing up bit, the "super advanced aliens attack a clandestine meeting with knives and crowbars", and horny-teenager-goes-gaga for alien-PR-flack in particular. Not to mention the incredible coincidences... like Mom and son finding each other in Manhattan during the rush, and son just happening to get invited (seemingly on a whim, out of a city of millions) on a little jaunt to the mothership.

Morena Baccarin (of whom I wasn't particularly a fan in Firefly) did do a great job. She's no Jane Badler (camp-cheese extraordinaire), but she was actually somewhat believable, for being an alien trying to pass as human. And I like Elizabeth Mitchell, so I'll give it a few more episodes. On DVR.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Elizabeth Mitchell - she still doing that put-upon, wan smile?