Thread: V

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I was severely disappointed. The dialogue was terrible and the writing was just pathetic. There was no strong story and too many presumptions with no explanations. I was actually pissed off watching this last night. Bummer.

What really made me angry was the interviewer being asked not to say anything negative and him not even asking her WHAT would be considered negative, especially since they are coming in peace and trying to help aid us.

And did anyone catch that ONE line when they explained why they were here? Something about being far away from their home planet??

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I thought it was great. They're making us wait to get our questions answered. I especially liked the idea of the traitor aliens!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

advanced race of alien attacks resistance cell.
    1- sends some advanced SUPER VISIBLE flying equivalent of a shrapnel bomb
    2- Rush like madmen with knives, yes, you heard that right, stupid knives.

How did they even manage to invent fire?

I really felt like they were in such a hurry that they had to make everything excessively straightforward. Too bad. I also think I could have written a better script with 2 fingers up my ass, but hey, I never say no to a sci fi flick

The 'leader of the aliens' lady displayed some great acting, perfect equilibrium of 'stereotypical warm human bodylanguage and a vague 'fake' vibe. I liked the very last scene of the first episode, when she's looking at new york from her spaceship and blinks, it was both perfectly 'normal' and somewhat reminiscent of 'a reptile'. (though I didn't like how it meant assuming that human experience of bodylanguages applies to an alien species)

The teenager visitors fan is the clich everybody hoped to avoid but expected to see.

That whole bs theological 'but how can there be aliens and men in god's universe', i mean, get over the 15th century already. Using bad ethnocentered religious ideas to hint at the visitors not fitting their own picture or something just seemed quite dumb.

Also, while i get the old 'lizard men from space' theme fitted perfectly back in the heighties I'd have liked them to at least not basically hint at the Vs being evil 'because they don't really look exactly like humans'. Again, ethnocentered and stupid and somehow never bothers people until you use the 'racism' word and everybody starts screaming, green undertones and scales doesn't make them biblical snakes.

Even if they wanted to use the highly shaky idea that the Vs come from a similar environnement and that some biological law make the 'lizard-like sentient species' a quasi rule in the absence of extinction events; assuming ANY relevant shared traits between our perception of the our reptiles' and the personalities of the Vs would be like assuming we act and think like our long gone rodent ancestors, preposterous.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    That whole bs theological 'but how can there be aliens and men in god's universe', i mean, get over the 15th century already. Using bad ethnocentered religious ideas to hint at the visitors not fitting their own picture or something just seemed quite dumb.
    Oh don't get me started on the young hot priest telling the older one to be wary of false idols () and them both tossing around the lord's name in vain. Classic.

The worst piece of writing and acting was when that dude wheeled himself into the room with the priests, only to stand up dramatically. Rolled my eyes till they almost fell out of their sockets...

It was laughable that the aliens required that the kid's ask their parents to sign waivers if they are under 18.

I did like that the FBI partner and the very hot Morris Chestnut were one of the Others, though.

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    The 'leader of the aliens' lady displayed some great acting, perfect equilibrium of 'stereotypical warm human bodylanguage and a vague 'fake' vibe. I liked the very last scene of the first episode, when she's looking at new york from her spaceship and blinks, it was both perfectly 'normal' and somewhat reminiscent of 'a reptile'. (though I didn't like how it meant assuming that human experience of bodylanguages applies to an alien species)
    I agree with this. She was the best/only really good thing about it. She really nailed the "not human trying to act human" thing, and she even looks a bit reptilian. But still hot. The F-15 crash and the lifeless pilot in the parachute was pretty cool, too. Still very disappointed.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I agree with this. She was the best/only really good thing about it. She really nailed the "not human trying to act human" thing,
    "I'd nail that gator"
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    It was laughable that the aliens required that the kid's ask their parents to sign waivers if they are under 18.
    Actually I thought that was the only part that made some sense

... In theory.

MBTI
    INtP

I'll probably give it a chance for a while. I was a fan of the original miniseries (and even the TV series - hey, I was young, and it was the only sci-fi on TV) so I was pretty excited to see it come back, but, I don't know how it'll work long-term. It seemed shallow in a lot of ways - or rather it just tried to cover too much in the allotted time for anything to seem more than coincidental. Will have to wait and see how much of that was due to it being the pilot and trying to cram a lot of events in a one-hour show and how much of it was due to sloppy, poorly plotted writing.

I agree with some of the just awful scenes... the horribly done totally played out cliche of the guy in the wheelchair standing up bit, the "super advanced aliens attack a clandestine meeting with knives and crowbars", and horny-teenager-goes-gaga for alien-PR-flack in particular. Not to mention the incredible coincidences... like Mom and son finding each other in Manhattan during the rush, and son just happening to get invited (seemingly on a whim, out of a city of millions) on a little jaunt to the mothership.

Morena Baccarin (of whom I wasn't particularly a fan in Firefly) did do a great job. She's no Jane Badler (camp-cheese extraordinaire), but she was actually somewhat believable, for being an alien trying to pass as human. And I like Elizabeth Mitchell, so I'll give it a few more episodes. On DVR.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    And I like Elizabeth Mitchell
    Me too.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Elizabeth Mitchell - she still doing that put-upon, wan smile?