User Tag List

Thread: Alternative Halloween Movies

Default Alternative Halloween Movies

Greetings; this thread is for the posting of "alternative" Halloween movies. Because when you go to the movie rental store, things like "Halloween" and "Nightmare on Elm Street" will already be gone, and you don't want to end up with something like "Leprechaun." So, in this thread we post thrillers/chillers/non-traditional horror films, or films that people are less likely to rent that are more likely to be on the shelf when you get there.

My pick off the top of my head would be "Identity." This film stars John Cusack, Ray Liotta, Amanda Peet, Alfred Molina, Clea Duvall, Jake Busey, John C. McGinley, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Carmen Argenziano, Marshall Bell, Rebecca De Mornay, and others. As you can see, there is a very solid cast here. You won't recognize some of the names, but put them with the face and you'll go "Ah, they've been in tons of things." I enjoyed the non-obvious casting choices such as Amanda Peet and John C. McGinley (the arch nemesis doctor from Scrubs). This film starts off with a standard slasher/thriller plot, but then gets a bit weird starting around the second act. The "twist" isn't obvious in general, but many people will figure it out. Still, it's a fun twist and the ending is done very well. This movie would be a good choice this Halloween because it's an engaging, entertaining film with a good motif for this Hallow's Eve, and it is likely to be on the rental shelf when you get there.

I give it 3.5/5 stars.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"

Something strange like Oldboy or 2001: A Space Odyssey would be cool to watch for Halloween. Also at Kmart/Walmart/whatever they often sell totally unknown horror movies as cheap as a dollar. I've gotten some good ones too, Cien Gritos De Terror is one of my favorites, but I also found Night of the Living Dead in one of those bins, and you can't go wrong with a classic like that.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Junior Member Array shadowself17's Avatar

I highly recommend Let The Right One In. It's one of the best, most thrilling and most original vampire movies I've ever seen, it's a very beautiful movie too. Don't be scared off by the fact that it's Swedish though, or you're really missing out.

Click for Rotten Tomatoes consensus

Another one I'd recommend is Pan's Labyrinth. It's a very disturbing fairy tale like story, and it's another amazing (and coincidentally also foreign) horror film.

Click for Rotten Tomatoes consensus

Also some Kubrick films like A Clockwork Orange or The Shining would be good choices as well.
    "I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people." - John Lennon

Trick R' Treat. It's unique in that, more than a horror movie, it's about the spirit and love of Halloween. Oh, and the cost of forgetting that spirit or breaking the rules of Halloween night. Consider it a sort of Halloween version of a Christmas Carol.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Away with the fairies Array Southern Kross's Avatar
    4w5 so/sp

I second Let the Right One in, Pan's Labyrinth and Old Boy

Here are some films I found quite chilling for various reasons:

Les Diaboliques (the film that stylistically inspired Hitchcock's Psycho)
    The Night of the Hunter
    Lost Highway
    The Hole
    Dark City
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte