Thread: Good pieces?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Default Good pieces?

I am now beginning on the violin, and I'd like advice on some violin solos I should try playing. It doesn't matter how easy or hard they are, I just need some sort of goal, otherwise I am completely lost.

I normally go to my band director for such, because she plays every instrument...except for the strings.

Come to think of it, any solos/pieces which come to mind for any instrument are welcome, for those who are musically enlightened.

The List of the Suggested!
    1. Vivaldi, Spring from The Four Seasons
    2.Brahms, Hungarian Dance No. 5
    3.Saint-Seans, Danse Macabre
    Last edited by Antimony; 10-28-2009 at 05:30 PM.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I am now beginning on the violin, and I'd like advice on some violin solos I should try playing. It doesn't matter how easy or hard they are, I just need some sort of goal, otherwise I am completely lost.

I normally go to my band director for such, because she plays every instrument...except for the strings.

Come to think of it, any solos/pieces which come to mind for any instrument are welcome, for those who are musically enlightened.
    Cool, I used to play the Violin. I always enjoyed playing Vivaldi's "Spring from the four seasons", not in the last place because it's relatively easy (not for beginners) and I just love listening to it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Why did you stop? And I should look into that. I think I may have played a bit of a simpler version of it, with just the solo. Thanks

Oh, I just had an idea! I am going to make a list in the OP of any suggestions. Convenient

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I've played violin for ages, and I absolutely loved playing the Bach Double, or Bach's Concerto for Two Violins (In D Minor, if i recall correctly)

I know that it's a duet, but playing one part on its own is still pretty entertaining, and even playing along with a cd is great fun. And it's relatively easy, yet it sounds impressive. Nice mix.

Brahms Hungarian Dance No. 5 is also really popular and as long as you don't try to learn one of the virtuosic versions, it's relatively simple. It's great if you're into really dramatic dynamics.

And Danse Macabre by Saint-Seans is absolutely amazing, although it's not a solo piece and it probably isn't much fun to play on its own. However if you haven't heard it, I strongly encourage you to have a listen. Being the music nerd I am, I can;t get over how amaing it is that someone has made a diminished 5th sound so good.

However the pieces you'd like really depend on the genre. When I was first starting, I really loved Baroque. If you like baroque, I have a long list o_O

MBTI
    SEXY

Why did you stop? And I should look into that. I think I may have played a bit of a simpler version of it, with just the solo. Thanks

Oh, I just had an idea! I am going to make a list in the OP of any suggestions. Convenient
    As a true INTP I got bored with playing the violin after I mastered it. I then proceeded to pick up the trumpet, later I started playing guitar, and now, in addition, I also play bass-guitar. I think I am able to keep playing these last two instruments for so long because I don't follow lessons and can play what I want when I want, also I never had my own violin or trumpet, but I do have my own guitar and bass.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Danse_Macabre View Post
    I've played violin for ages, and I absolutely loved playing the Bach Double, or Bach's Concerto for Two Violins (In D Minor, if i recall correctly)

I know that it's a duet, but playing one part on its own is still pretty entertaining, and even playing along with a cd is great fun. And it's relatively easy, yet it sounds impressive. Nice mix.

Brahms Hungarian Dance No. 5 is also really popular and as long as you don't try to learn one of the virtuosic versions, it's relatively simple. It's great if you're into really dramatic dynamics.

And Danse Macabre by Saint-Seans is absolutely amazing, although it's not a solo piece and it probably isn't much fun to play on its own. However if you haven't heard it, I strongly encourage you to have a listen. Being the music nerd I am, I can;t get over how amaing it is that someone has made a diminished 5th sound so good.

However the pieces you'd like really depend on the genre. When I was first starting, I really loved Baroque. If you like baroque, I have a long list o_O
    I will have to go through Baroque, being that I am just now starting. I played Hungarian Dance with my Orchestra, only it was No. 1 and not No.5. I love the dynamics of it though. Thank you very much

I wouldn't mind a list of the Baroque pieces you like.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

A piece I can highly recommend: Sergej Rachmaninoff, Vocalise (op. 34 Nr. 4, IIRC)
    There are lots or arrangements, including violin + piano (PM me if you like to have the piano part some time ).

You might want to check out the Free Score Project as well, if you haven't heard of it yet
    Sorted by composer names and instruments - pretty neat. They're always adding new stuff.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Oh wow, thanks a lot! I am really trying to crack down on my violin playing...trying to master it, get into the youth orchestra, etc, with my ego taking a hit every time I see a prodigious 11 year old.

And I looked up the piece...can't seem to find it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

You need to learn to play this piece first:

YouTube - Revenge of The Nerds Talent Show

--------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro