• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Good pieces?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am now beginning on the violin, and I'd like advice on some violin solos I should try playing. It doesn't matter how easy or hard they are, I just need some sort of goal, otherwise I am completely lost.

I normally go to my band director for such, because she plays every instrument...except for the strings.

Come to think of it, any solos/pieces which come to mind for any instrument are welcome, for those who are musically enlightened.

The List of the Suggested!
1. Vivaldi, Spring from The Four Seasons
2.Brahms, Hungarian Dance No. 5
3.Saint-Seans, Danse Macabre

Last edited:

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I am now beginning on the violin, and I'd like advice on some violin solos I should try playing. It doesn't matter how easy or hard they are, I just need some sort of goal, otherwise I am completely lost.

I normally go to my band director for such, because she plays every instrument...except for the strings.

Come to think of it, any solos/pieces which come to mind for any instrument are welcome, for those who are musically enlightened.

Cool, I used to play the Violin. I always enjoyed playing Vivaldi's "Spring from the four seasons", not in the last place because it's relatively easy (not for beginners) and I just love listening to it.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why did you stop? And I should look into that. I think I may have played a bit of a simpler version of it, with just the solo. Thanks :)

Oh, I just had an idea! I am going to make a list in the OP of any suggestions. Convenient :D

Danse_Macabre

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've played violin for ages, and I absolutely loved playing the Bach Double, or Bach's Concerto for Two Violins (In D Minor, if i recall correctly)

I know that it's a duet, but playing one part on its own is still pretty entertaining, and even playing along with a cd is great fun. And it's relatively easy, yet it sounds impressive. Nice mix.

Brahms Hungarian Dance No. 5 is also really popular and as long as you don't try to learn one of the virtuosic versions, it's relatively simple. It's great if you're into really dramatic dynamics.

And Danse Macabre by Saint-Seans is absolutely amazing, although it's not a solo piece and it probably isn't much fun to play on its own. However if you haven't heard it, I strongly encourage you to have a listen. Being the music nerd I am, I can;t get over how amaing it is that someone has made a diminished 5th sound so good.

However the pieces you'd like really depend on the genre. When I was first starting, I really loved Baroque. If you like baroque, I have a long list o_O

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Why did you stop? And I should look into that. I think I may have played a bit of a simpler version of it, with just the solo. Thanks :)

Oh, I just had an idea! I am going to make a list in the OP of any suggestions. Convenient :D

As a true INTP I got bored with playing the violin after I mastered it. I then proceeded to pick up the trumpet, later I started playing guitar, and now, in addition, I also play bass-guitar. I think I am able to keep playing these last two instruments for so long because I don't follow lessons and can play what I want when I want, also I never had my own violin or trumpet, but I do have my own guitar and bass.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've played violin for ages, and I absolutely loved playing the Bach Double, or Bach's Concerto for Two Violins (In D Minor, if i recall correctly)

I know that it's a duet, but playing one part on its own is still pretty entertaining, and even playing along with a cd is great fun. And it's relatively easy, yet it sounds impressive. Nice mix.

Brahms Hungarian Dance No. 5 is also really popular and as long as you don't try to learn one of the virtuosic versions, it's relatively simple. It's great if you're into really dramatic dynamics.

And Danse Macabre by Saint-Seans is absolutely amazing, although it's not a solo piece and it probably isn't much fun to play on its own. However if you haven't heard it, I strongly encourage you to have a listen. Being the music nerd I am, I can;t get over how amaing it is that someone has made a diminished 5th sound so good.

However the pieces you'd like really depend on the genre. When I was first starting, I really loved Baroque. If you like baroque, I have a long list o_O

I will have to go through Baroque, being that I am just now starting. I played Hungarian Dance with my Orchestra, only it was No. 1 and not No.5. I love the dynamics of it though. Thank you very much :)

I wouldn't mind a list of the Baroque pieces you like.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A piece I can highly recommend: Sergej Rachmaninoff, Vocalise (op. 34 Nr. 4, IIRC)
There are lots or arrangements, including violin + piano (PM me if you like to have the piano part some time ;)).

You might want to check out the Free Score Project as well, if you haven't heard of it yet :)
Sorted by composer names and instruments - pretty neat. They're always adding new stuff.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh wow, thanks a lot! I am really trying to crack down on my violin playing...trying to master it, get into the youth orchestra, etc, with my ego taking a hit every time I see a prodigious 11 year old.

And I looked up the piece...can't seem to find it.