• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What about literature/movie genres?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Which genre do you prefer?

I have a love/hate relationship with fantasy.
Love: magic, dragons, dwarves, elementals...
Hate: prophecies!, bombastic language, the One, pure-hearted...

I love dystopic science fiction (eg. 1984 by Orwell).

I kind of like historic fiction.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Like dystopian science fiction too (i.e. A Clockwork Orange). Ever since my Dad read me the tales of Narnia loved fantasy yet have not read any in a while still look for it in the movies. I However enjoy prophecies/the One (to make things worse see myself as having a destiny and being either the One or one of the few). Notice I like historic fiction too, especially if the author has done their homework. Robert Graves I Claudius is one of my favs.

I notice I am enjoying more untraditional nonlinear storytelling of recent (e.g. Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting; special note book much different than how the movie was presented)

With movies am always looking out for a great psychological thriller or something cutting edge.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
My favorite genres are:

biography
autobiography
creative non-fiction
dystopian sci-fi
surrealism
Noir
"cult"
"camp"
costume drama
psychological horror
documentary
"special interest"
"experimental"

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Books:

I mainly read classic literature and literary fiction. If it's not great, I usually don't want to waste my time with it. I do enjoy page turners, but finding well written ones is hard.

I tend to dislike genre fiction (I REALLY dislike fantasy and sci-fi), and I have a hard time finding new books I like. I particularly like books that reveal some sort of truth about people, even if it's light-hearted and comical, and books which are thought-provoking. Character development and insightful/clever writing is more important to me than plot also. I dislike contrived plots.

Movies:

I love old, classic movies; especially old romantic comedies, musicals, and suspense. Writing was just much better. Those genres tend to disappoint me in new films.

Also: Whimsically romantic movies, smart comedies (not vulgar), psychological thrillers, some crime capers, and period dramas. A tragic tinge appeals to me.

I dislike fantasy/sci-fi, action, horror, very violent movies, very vulgar comedy, and cheesy romantic movies (ie. the Notebook, barf!). I'm not a snob at all though. It just needs a degree of cleverness to it.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Books:

Mostly self-help, pop psychology, neurology, political, technical, or historical.

Movies:

Mostly science fiction, fantasy, historical, or comedy.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have no major preferences, except I avoid Space Fiction and High Fantasy. I avoid Space Fiction because I feel that the writers focus too much on world building and science. When I read, I like to explore the human condition and enjoy some genuine drama, not learn about how a society gained the power to travel through time. I shun High Fantasy because it's mostly Lord of the Rings fanfiction, and I have trouble stomaching the grandiose prose.