User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP

Default What about literature/movie genres?

Which genre do you prefer?

I have a love/hate relationship with fantasy.
    Love: magic, dragons, dwarves, elementals...
    Hate: prophecies!, bombastic language, the One, pure-hearted...

I love dystopic science fiction (eg. 1984 by Orwell).

I kind of like historic fiction.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Like dystopian science fiction too (i.e. A Clockwork Orange). Ever since my Dad read me the tales of Narnia loved fantasy yet have not read any in a while still look for it in the movies. I However enjoy prophecies/the One (to make things worse see myself as having a destiny and being either the One or one of the few). Notice I like historic fiction too, especially if the author has done their homework. Robert Graves I Claudius is one of my favs.

I notice I am enjoying more untraditional nonlinear storytelling of recent (e.g. Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting; special note book much different than how the movie was presented)

With movies am always looking out for a great psychological thriller or something cutting edge.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

My favorite genres are:

biography
    autobiography
    creative non-fiction
    dystopian sci-fi
    surrealism
    Noir
    "cult"
    "camp"
    costume drama
    psychological horror
    documentary
    "special interest"
    "experimental"

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Books:

I mainly read classic literature and literary fiction. If it's not great, I usually don't want to waste my time with it. I do enjoy page turners, but finding well written ones is hard.

I tend to dislike genre fiction (I REALLY dislike fantasy and sci-fi), and I have a hard time finding new books I like. I particularly like books that reveal some sort of truth about people, even if it's light-hearted and comical, and books which are thought-provoking. Character development and insightful/clever writing is more important to me than plot also. I dislike contrived plots.

Movies:

I love old, classic movies; especially old romantic comedies, musicals, and suspense. Writing was just much better. Those genres tend to disappoint me in new films.

Also: Whimsically romantic movies, smart comedies (not vulgar), psychological thrillers, some crime capers, and period dramas. A tragic tinge appeals to me.

I dislike fantasy/sci-fi, action, horror, very violent movies, very vulgar comedy, and cheesy romantic movies (ie. the Notebook, barf!). I'm not a snob at all though. It just needs a degree of cleverness to it.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Books:

Mostly self-help, pop psychology, neurology, political, technical, or historical.

Movies:

Mostly science fiction, fantasy, historical, or comedy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I have no major preferences, except I avoid Space Fiction and High Fantasy. I avoid Space Fiction because I feel that the writers focus too much on world building and science. When I read, I like to explore the human condition and enjoy some genuine drama, not learn about how a society gained the power to travel through time. I shun High Fantasy because it's mostly Lord of the Rings fanfiction, and I have trouble stomaching the grandiose prose.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]