• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Role-playing games and MBTI

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm surprised there is no thread already about this. Or maybe there is, but then it's older than page 5; I didn't search all the way.

I play pen-and paper RPGs. But I think computer based/online RPG's could feature here also, as all these RPGs have something in common:

You create a character.

So - which MBTI type is your character? Is it anything like you?

Me: eNTP. Character: ENTJ, with really outspoken E and J.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I also play pen & paper RPGs. I mainly GM. In a campaign I'm supposed to be playing in sooner or later I will be playing an elven paladin. ExFJ. He has a guilty past and slaughtered innocents for a political agenda, but has since repented. Only now his guilt destroys him and it has manifested itself in visual and audible hallucinations.

I can try and type the players' characters in my campaign I'm running now (evil, criminal underworld theme in an arabic-esque city):

Ulric Al-Hazar: iSTJ. Assassin. Highly religious (it drives his values). Devoted to finishing what he sets out to do.
Nae'thril: ISTP. Man-hunter. As a woman she is at a disadvantage in the city above, but not in the underworld where gender doesn't really matter much (everyone is killed equally)
Drelloc Lunfellow: ISTP. greedy halfling. Doesn't mind killing for money. Has a missing left hand with a spring-loaded dagger inside (inb4 assassin's creed).
Azeem Jarrah: INTp. Wizard. Extremely selfish. Goal is to find his mentor's murderer. Causes lots of inter-party paranoia.
Girdle Skleesbak: ESTP. Dwarven demolitionist. Addictive personality. Likes blowing shit up. Extremely crude and blunt.
John Kimble (lol): iNtp. Necromancer. Likes talking to others and analyzing them. Hasn't been incredibly developed (player just started playing with us again).

no feelers in an all-evil party. How sad. Feelers could probably make the most destructive evil characters.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My characters are usually INTJ or ENTP mages. Sometimes I make xSTP fighters.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Strange, I have yet to really think about typing any of the characters I've had... Then again, It's been a while since I've actually role-played too. (very sad about that :cry:)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
It's been years since I've been in a really good role playing group, but I used to design characters of all sorts of types. Looking back the common theme is almost all of them T and often E too.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Usually INXX characters.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tend to play ENTJ characters. Sometimes INTJ.
They get shit done, figure stuff out and they're not weak emo-kids with a sword and a nasty haircut.
Like japanese anime figures tend to be... :D

Anyway, I play pen and paper. I'm actually going to be DM today in an hour or so.
The game is called EON. Really good low fantasy medieval RPG.
The level of realism is almost horrible :D It's a goddamn science, and logic does apply to it.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
John Kimble: Necromancer.

LOL

In pen-and-paper games, I like to play STJ's more often than not (knight or priest). I like it because it really makes life easier in a black and white-way: strong moral code, unbreakable hierarchy, noble deeds, end of story.

(I'd hate my characters IRL though.)

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just got done creating my first RPG character (for a friend), only to find this topic waiting for me. Description of that character:

Name: Lord Henry Snipthread

Appearance: Gloves, monocle, and plum-purple top hat, sported by a gentleman who is twelve feet tall and as many centimeters wide. On the whole, he resembles a coat rack with fancy clothes on it instead of coats.

Stats:
HP - 30
MP - 150
Str - 30
Mag - 150
Def - 30
Agi - 150

Weapon: In spite of the fact that he carries a walking cane, his weapon is his mustache. This mustache is crafted from the fur of a wild beast, and it comes in several varieties depending on the beast of origin. Varieties include mint, bacon, and polka-dots.

Limit Breaks/Abilities:

Gentlemanly Sneeze, an attack that whips up a tornado to blow the opponents off-screen for a few turns. During this time, you can recover in the usual manner or flee from battle.

Civilized Discourse, in which Lord Henry speaks of all manner of highbrow topics. The enemy will find this so impressive that they'll be hard-pressed to harm the gentleman and his comrades. The enemy's attack will drop by 50% for a length of three turns.

Curling of the 'Stache will cause Lord Henry to curl his mustache when in peril. By doing this, he summons a group of butlers which divide themselves between attacking the enemy and throwing themselves before their lord in order to prevent his injury. There are four butlers in all, and each time one of them blocks an attack or performs an attack of their own (this happens once a turn), that butler gets expended.

By nodding a Negative Nod, Lord Henry deals damage to one enemy equal to that which he and his comrades have sustained. Recovered damage doesn't count.

Back Story: Most men live one life; Lord Henry has lived two. His first life saw him as an explorer by the name of Dashly Jones. At the end of Dashly's final adventure, a quest for the Fountain of Youth, he successfully located those waters, whereupon he drank of them. So potent were those waters, however, that his one small sip subtracted more age than he had. In a matter of seconds, he became a child, then a baby, and then was unborn. From there, he went even further and grew up in a strange kind of reverse. This reverse was so reverse-like that even his personality took a sharp turnaround: he became a finicky lord who would sooner choke on caviar than die in a dangerous quest.

At some point it became clear what had happened to Lord Henry, and moreover, that Lord Henry would gradually age until he was reborn as that uncouth explorer. In an effort to prolong his life, therefore, Lord Henry ordered his servants to tie ropes to his arms and feet and then to pull him from either end. He reasoned that since adulthood is intimately connected with an increase in height, this exercise would have a Fountain of Maturity kind of effect. In fact, all that happened was that he got stretched out like a strip of taffy, which explains his peculiar stature.

I imagine him as an ESTJ. If I were to make a character for myself, I would probably let out my inner darkness and create a villainous INTJ. I don't think I would play someone of my own type, because I would find that monotonous.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I tend to play ENTJ characters. Sometimes INTJ.
They get shit done, figure stuff out and they're not weak emo-kids with a sword and a nasty haircut.
Like japanese anime figures tend to be... :D

I hope you're not talking mary-sues. playing flawed characters makes them more dimensional (but by all means do not play an emo, giant sword-wielding anime character).

If we ever do play this other campaign and my paladin dies I'm going to roll up an obese, friar type of cleric who avoids combat altogether.

And in a zombie campaign we're supposed to be running I'm probably going to play a 60-something golfer who is on his way for the nursing home.

The times I've played I've always rolled up characters with little or no flaws. It wasn't very much fun to me. I also like to play characters that are at least two letters different from me....myers briggs-wise anyway. :D

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
These are from 3rd edition of D&D:

Kaltharn: Sun Elf Wizard/Monk, xNTJ. Superior intelligence, very superior. There was only few who could match his intelligence (some demi-god characters, like Elminster). He had this weird zen-like approach, and he knew what you knew. And he was never afraid to tell people what they should do. He was somewhat good at martial arts, but also in spell casting. He always wanted to defeat all his enemies with sheer strength of his mind. This was me probably playing out my feeling of superiority (which I have managed to put aside, by the way :)).

Mal Lutoc: Dwarven Fighter, ISTP. He used to be a highly loyal and able king's servant until malevontly betrayed by jealous comrades. He lost his faith in everything, and became a raving drunkard, picking up fights at bars. He was cruel, brutal and rude. Very good at close-quarter combat, and very persistant. But he never gave a damn about anything. This was me probably trying to fight the world that didn't understand me. :D
(This character was actually used for roleplaying through IRC... it was a fun experience. :)

I also made character to Mass Effect... I decided beforehand that he was a highly loyal military personel and very xenophobic (only humans in my party). He was pro-human in every possible way. And I made him look like Bruce Willis. :D

EDIT: Has anyone ever thought of actually including typology into RPG? I have few times thought that these 8 functions could stand for primary abilities, and that skills would be derived from them.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
My favorite old D&D character was quintessential INFJ, but this was long before I knew anything at all about typology, so it's not like I molded my character with the intent of it being INFJ. I'd sell my soul to replace it with the soul of an INFJ...

Factotum

MBTI Type
INTP
The concepts of my characters generally look close to ESFJ (I try to make them a bit different to me...). Usually I fail to be an extrovert, though.

Clydesdale

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm a male INFP.

My favorite character that I've ever played was a female ENFP. Well, I think she was ENFP. I first imagined Cassie Drake under the D&D 3.5 rules. She was a naive, wildly idealistic Dragon Shaman full of boundless encouragement for her fellow party members. She had denied her craving to see and change the world all her life growing up as the sheltered daughter of a minor noble, until a chance encounter with a topaz dragon inspired her to make a greater difference by fleeing her arranged marriage (to a man whom she was repulsed by) and becoming a champion of freedom.

I enjoyed her so much that I later played her again in D&D 4e as a Warlord, and I actually had a friend do full color art of her. I keep the picture in a frame on my dresser to remind me that as scary as it is sometimes to try to change things for the better, if I avoid problems, I'll have little (if any) say in whether or not my situation gets better at all.