• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Keyboard Amp or PA Speakers

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
I ordered a MicroKorg XL a couple days ago, mainly for the vocoder, and I was wondering which would be better in the long run: a keyboard amp or a decent set of powered PA speakers?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I ordered a MicroKorg XL a couple days ago, mainly for the vocoder, and I was wondering which would be better in the long run: a keyboard amp or a decent set of powered PA speakers?

If it were me, I'd get a nice pair of active/powered PA speakers and a small mixer.

Then you have stereo sound and the ability to patch in other audio sources instead of running it all through a keyboard amp.

I have an Access Virus KC and a Motif ES Rack. I use Mackie HR-824s as my nearfield monitors but have a pair of Carvin PM15A active PA speakers that I use for DJ gigs. I've plugged the Virus KC straight into the Carvins as well and just controlled the volume from the synth.

There's nothing like tweaking arpeggiated synth sounds with filter sweeps and every other effect in real time at a sickeningly loud volume. It's good clean fun! :D

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
awesome, thanks for the reply dude

You're quite welcome!

If you haven't already checked out this site, you must do so:

TweakHeadz Lab Electronic Musician's Hangout

All you could ever want to know about home music production, live gigging, software, hardware, recording, etc. For free!

The articles on this site are quick and easy to read, and very informative. I poured over them for more than a year until I got my rig setup just right, and now it's all fun and games. :newwink: