• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game recommendation for all

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hi! I haven't bought new games much in the last years, like 10 years or so. I bought them all the time previously. But, I'd like someone to recommend a game for me. Actually, I think we all can share our recommendations, given what each person wants :)

-I play warcraft 3 a lot! almost entirely team games. It's an incredibly great game with perfectly fine-tuned balance, giving strategical opportunity, teamwork and a social element.
-bought Max Payne 2 for the cinematic story, the mood and the graphics. I wasn't disappointed.
-bought Doom III as it was the last installation of the doom series, which changed the world.. and which I played tirelessly. Both doom I and doom II. These are the most devastating games EVER, period. Doom II was "more of the same" thing, but.. it really, really sucked me in to it's world. I have never ever been so much in a game as then.
-Unreal, back in the 1997 I believe. It had - for the time - incredible, awesome, mind-boggling alien graphics, mood, and of course shooting. It was more of a mellow mood, sometimes slightly troubling mood, but in an artistic, fantastic fashion. Doom was rather frightening as a comparison.
-WoW. It sucked me in for a year. Too repetitive for me, I ended up using bots to play for me.. and 5-boxing, playing with 5 at a time. It required too little of an innovation and too much of categorizing stuff, listing it, comparing, all terrible Si stuff which I did, because I loved the game. But. It isn't the best game for me.
-Command and Conquer. Incredible series. I loved the tech trees.. their predecessor, Dune II, was a strategic marvel of it's time. Just astounding. I organized lan parties for my friends to play the first C&C.
-Descent. There's never been a game like this in my life. True 3d movement - forward, backward, up, down, slide left & right, pitch, roll, yaw. I was extremely adept with the movement system, there is NO OTHER GAME in the world that excited my physical coordination and 3d-understanding that much. It was a journey to another world.
-Civilization I and IV, not the other games. Being a part of epic story that develops right in front of my eyes. Diplomacy, resource allocation, warfare, many strategical layers. Awesome. Just that I don't feel I have the time to learn the whole game (CIV IV) to such extreme extent as I learned CIV I.

So what you'd recommend for me? Almost all the games I have loved are big name games, with extremely high production values. If some game is a bit lacking - i.e. not the best one could have at a time - it's most probable I won't like it. Even though I sometimes do play some sub-par games.

Sacrator

MBTI Type
ENFP
Call of duty 4, Stalker, Fallout 3 @ 2, portal, half-life 2, assasins creed, Mass Effect, Medieval total war II, Prey, Vampire: The masquerade - bloodlines all good games.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Total War: Medieval 2- and its expansions, well worth it. Also there is a lot of user-created mods that are just top of the line (Stainless mod is great)

Supreme Commander- If you are tired of small squad based tactics give this a try, very different, very fun, and very rewarding. HUGE HUGE maps.

Dawn of War- Small tactics based RTS, refreshing change from starcraft/warcraft with a lot of playable races. Not really a good single player RTS, and it has a pretty big hurdle to play online as well but once you find your groove it can be fun.

Are you just checking out PC games? Or do you game on consoles too?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've heard recommendations for both Supremo Commander and Mass Effect, too, so I guess they're great! I'll check some of the others.

It's sad how I have to play FPS in the easy setting now, if I want to finish them in reasonable time. If it's normal, there's many deaths and hard parts, though more excitement. But, more frustration, at times.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
So what you'd recommend for me? Almost all the games I have loved are big name games, with extremely high production values. If some game is a bit lacking - i.e. not the best one could have at a time - it's most probable I won't like it. Even though I sometimes do play some sub-par games.

Production values as a a way to objectify art... :dont: And they still ask me what it is I hate about TJs...

Go read GameRankings why dontcha!

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Seems you like FPS and strategy games for PC.

The only FPS I actually like is Bioshock, and based on what you've said above I think you'd like it too. It's been a while since I've played a strategy game on a PC, but I really liked the Total War series and Heroes of Might and Magic series (but I think that one has been discontinued for a while). On other systems I like these strategy/tactics games: Advance Wars (Nintendo DS), Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP) and Valkyria Chronicles (PS3).

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
Diablo II with expansion. It's almost a decade old and there are still a lot of players online. I'm still playing it.

If only I would have recorded the hours I spent on it. The time would be immense!:D

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm likely to buy a console for the single purpose of playing Brutal Legend. I haven't seen any reviews yet but I am a Tim Schafer fanboy.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think I'll buy a new graphics card for my system, and 6-8 games. That's as many games bought as I've bought in the last 2 years. But I'll only do it after I've graduated (in 2 months).

I've missed more than one important event in my life because of getting too much engaged in a computer game and spending all my time with it.

That's why I'll wait buying the games for few months :D

I think I'll mostly buy what you've recommended now, with perhaps 2-3 some other titles. I heard one good friend of mine recommend Assassins creed. I'll take total annihilation, as well. Halo, Mass effect, Half life 2 seem good, per recommendations. I'll dive in the game world and find the rest myself.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
-Civilization I and IV, not the other games. Being a part of epic story that develops right in front of my eyes. Diplomacy, resource allocation, warfare, many strategical layers. Awesome. Just that I don't feel I have the time to learn the whole game (CIV IV) to such extreme extent as I learned CIV I.

THIS, except that I like part II better than part I.

Also,

Deus Ex: Pure awesome, and a very underrated game from the cyberpunk gender. It is a combination of RPG and FPS, and takes place around 2050. You play as a UNATCO agent trying to unravel the mysteries behind a terrorist group, and find out that the world as you know it is long gone. Amazing storyline, epic techno-classical-jazzy soundtrack, multiple endings, great atmosphere.

I really like Final Fantasy VIII, my favorite part of the FF series. Cool story and characters, with crappy controls, but who cares?

icmlite

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne - play Defense of the Ancients. GREAT competitive map for 5v5, 4v4, really any number of players actually... Just play it!
Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction - literally hundreds of hours of fun in store for you.
CounterStrike - you get to shoot people, and talk shit after you shoot them. Yay!
Disagea (PS2 and PSP) - amazing tactics RPG game with insane amount of replay value, customization, and hilarious game script. You can get Disgaea to work on a PS2 emulator on your PC (if you use a PC).
Final Fantasy IX - I believe it to be marginally better than FFVII, much better characters and less contrived in its treatment of pseudophilosophical questions.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Diablo 2 on ainut hyvä peli, jos pasianssia ei lasketa. Siihen ei vaan heti pääse sisälle niin että sitä tajuais oikeestaan ollenkaan. Ellei sitten joku opeta. Ite oon jaksanu tahkota tota joku 6.5 vuotta ilman taukoja, välillä tosin pelaillu harvemmin, mutta muihin peleihin en oo sortunu.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Nowadays I don't have a lot of time to play games on the computer (not because I have to work all the time, I just prefer to play sports outside), but in the depth of winter I always play a lot the NHL series from EA sports, it's really pure fun if you like ice hockey.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I heard diablo was great, but played it and didn't get into it at all, seemed boring to me. I have always loved Dynasty Warriors, but according to sales and reviews, it's pretty sucky. I have to try to find Dune, I was going to borrow it from a friend ages ago, but he lost it :\

Baldur's Gate was so much fun back in the days, though upon reflection, it'd probably be dissatisfying after you've made all your characters, just like Neverwinter Nights II. I've bought Starcraft, Resident Evil 4 and Dark Messiah recently, and sworn that I wouldn't play them. When I start playing a game, I don't get off willingly... slight problem when things are going on irl, also screws with sleep patterns. It's not fair though, I don't want to miss out on all the latest games, but I'm also quite content to play the older ones that I've missed out on :D

Oh yeah, and Warlords Battlecry III was really cool, strategy, with heaps of different teams and units, and it's so much fun :)