User Tag List

123 Last

Default MBTI and strategic tastes

Since I am pretty sure I am not the only one that likes strategy games of any kind on this forum I am often wondering about this.
    I know that every real strategist must think in "the end justifies the means" but I am still sure that there must be some personal preference in this matters .

So I am wondering which fractions do you prefer in RTS games Plus what exactly do you "do with" that fraction? IF someone wants to open a question about strategy games that are not RTS they are free to do so.

My first RTS was Dune2. Fraction : House Ordos

In first C&C I prefered GDI becuse of range and air units.

In tiberian sun : I have still prefered GDI simply becuse of air units. To be specific because of carryall.

In Tiberuim wars : I shifted to NOD because GDI has become too "massive".
    While scrin simply lack the subtly.

In warcraft 1 and 2 I was human but in warcraft 3 I swiched to Night elf simply because of range, stealth, transformation and base mobility.

In Starcraft I was mostly Terran but I enjoyed playing as Protoss as well.

In later versions of Dune I am remained "loyal" to house Ordos.

When it comes to Red alert 1 I sided with the Allies. Same thing was with Red alert 2. However I liked Yuri as a fraction as well when it showed up.

In red alert 3 I am divided between Allies and The empire of the rising sun.

When it comes to SW : Empire at war I prefered overpowered Zann Consortium. So alternative was Rebelion.

In C&C generals : superweapon , airforce , stealth general.

Universe at war : Novus (because of obvious reasons)

So in general I think that my tactic can be discribed as " Drive the other guy insane" or "Everything works for me as long as I don't have to go into direct/fair fights "

What other people/types do when it comes to this ?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Defense. dun dun dun dundundun DEFENSE... dun dun dun dundundun DEFENSE! dundundun

From read alert to age of empires:
    -build the most indestructible defensive webs (tesla coils or bombard towers)
    -once I had wore the opponent down enough (they keep sending units and losing them), I would build either an entire army of trebachets or Bomber Jets (and not waste money on much else)
    -I would then use whatever form of artillery to completely overwhelm the most important building. Eventually the opponents will is broken because they have lost the town center or the construction yard.
    -I only like to do one attack, having to return multiple times just drains your morale

Im not a slave to this strategy. If the opponent has multiple bases, isn't attacking me as much as I need for them to wear themselves down, or if my defense isnt holding:
    -send out "armies" of resource gatherers at the expense of building my own army, so that I can horde the resources (the best is to gather from the ones near their bases extremely quickly early in the game).
    -build multiple castles or factories per base, churn out about 3 maximum clicked groupings....then as im attacking, start the next wave of unit construction. (this # provides best balance of sustainability...having less than multiple huge waves can be inefficient).

I guess in summary:
    1. Defense + WMDs
    or
    2. resources + continuous waves

Theres just nothing like having 50 trebechets deploy in a circle around their most important building, and with one fell swoop (literally one rock launch) watch it go to rubble! Shock and Awe!

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I play a game of annoying people. For example I will deceive them by sending 1/5 of my army or so to attack one side of their base, and while their whole army is over there I will take a chunk out of their base. I'm all about not losing units and conserving resources. I like to balance defense and offense. I like being crafty in my gameplay and shifting strategies just to throw my enemy off.

I also like to attack them as early as possible and kill some of their workers to hinder them. Again, just to be annoying. I like to wear people down. I usually use the race/faction that has quick and cheap units, for instance I used the Zerg in Starcraft.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I haven't played RTS in a long time, but back in middle school when I used to play Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds I always built up my walls immediately, made sure my base was running as up-to-date and efficiently as possible, while creating an army of soldiers and some back-of-the-line heavier weapons, completely lined up and organized. If there was the fog-of-war thing preventing me from seeing other bases, I'd send out reconnaissance early, or try and make allies and plant some of my forces in their base so I could see what was going on over there safely...If possible I'd invest in some sort of spynet so I could see everything at all times. I was more of an observer, build first attack later type. Base perfectionist, didn't really win much though

My inner NTJ comes out in those games. Man, I really want to play one again.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I love strategy games, but for some reason RTS rank near the bottom. I think the RTS I can remember playing are Warcraft 1&2, some Starcraft and Shogun:Total War. I don't really have specific strategies I keep from game to game, other than my overall strategy to find assymetries in the game balance and exploit them. I also try to figure out what the other guy is doing and come up with the best counter strategy. For example if he likes infantry then I build archers. If he likes archers then I build cavalry, etc.... When in doubt I build versatile units. If it's a resource game, then I steal his resources. If he plays an aggressive game I lay traps. If he plays a defensive game then I dominate the rest of the map before taking him out.

Overall though I'm just talking about what I do against a computer which is relatively easy to beat. For multiplayer strategy I do similar things, but I'd much rather play a board game over a computer game.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

hey, what are some good RTS games out now? any suggestions?

MBTI
    SEXY

Hmm, I like "World In Conflict" It is more of a tactical RTS.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I like the Total War series (not totally RTS), I hate empire building, I prefer empire destroying instead. So I usually play as a smaller nation with bigger neighbour/s and try and break them down, once my nation ever gets too big and powerful I start getting bored.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Phantonym

I haven't even played RTS for years. Good memories. I used to try to gather lots of resources to build up a strong economy and create some basic defense lines. I didn't have enough patience to go on for hours, I got bored fast. My main goal was to build a large army and then when I had had enough, go in and trash the enemy bases

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    Defense. dun dun dun dundundun DEFENSE... dun dun dun dundundun DEFENSE! dundundun
    Me too!

I focus on defense exclusively until the opposition runs out of resources.

And I also make extensive use of units that convert enemy units. Like the monk in Age of Empires. I fukin' love monks!

Its also quite fun to play this way.
    Dishonest ISFPs make me sad.