• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most underrated musical act of all time?

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
This is in response to the most overrated musical act of all time thread... and the purpose here is not to show off your knowledge of indy bands...

I personally feel its the barenakes ladies, every member is very talented, their music is fun and can really make you think. They are pretty big (A couple of number 1s?) but they aren't considered on paar with several not so worthy bands. They would definitely deserve more of a spotlight if they got it!

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Barenaked Ladies are a good band, although I've only listened to a bit of their music.

I also feel like Modest Mouse is a tad underrated. Don't get me wrong, they went kinda mainstream with 2004's "Float On," but that's about the only song any non-familiar listener can name.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Every obscure band that I like, of course.

Ah ha I was wondering how long it would take before somebody responded like this ;) I underestimated you...

metaphours said:
I also feel like Modest Mouse is a tad underrated. Don't get me wrong, they went kinda mainstream with 2004's "Float On," but that's about the only song any non-familiar listener can name.

Modest Mouse was way big when I was in high school, but then again that was right around 2004. And I havent heard much of them since, they did kinda drop off.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think more people ought to know of the brilliance that is ben harper.

this is him with piers faccini...but it's a good one.
[youtube=rIoO8SE1pGY] :) [/youtube]

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Let's see. . . Afghan Whigs, Urge Overkill, Split Enz/Crowded House, Galaxie 500/Luna, Deep Purple, Screaming Trees, (pretty critically lauded but) The Replacements, Chic, Badfinger, Big Star (same as Replacements), and a bunch more.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
The Cardigans should make an underrated list, too. Bettie Serveert, The Zombies, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Martin Sexton, lots more. Oh, and all of Michael Head's career. Pale Fountains, Shack, Michael Head & the Strands.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Gene Vincent

genevincent-2.jpg

{with the Beatles}

DDgene_beatles.JPG

Eddie Cochran

eddiecochrandl2.jpg

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I second Barenaked Ladies. I had their avatar for a bit if anyone can remember. :D

Phish is a little overrated, but because they should be. There's some pure talent. Their best stuff is live because it is a lot of improv. which shows creativity. Their songs are diverse, and their sound is unique. In my opinion.

Lady X- thank you for bringing up Ben Harper.
I was just introduced to him not too long ago, which is surprising. Talk about soulful. He's so full of talent, and Ground on Down is probably one of his best song, in my opinion.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young is brilliant, and even though you hear a lot of them on the Oldies Stations now (sigh), they are still the essence of talent.

The Dandy Warhols are a great mixture of alternative and chill out music. I don't think I've met a lot of people who actually know of them, but they are great.

Frank Zappa. Enough said

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AueGN0b_dGo"]The Dandy Warhols[/YOUTUBE]
Tell me if you like their stuff.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVdUyN25aSI&feature=related"]The Dandy Warhols II[/YOUTUBE]

Agnosco311

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
Lady X- thank you for bringing up Ben Harper.
I was just introduced to him not too long ago, which is surprising. Talk about soulful. He's so full of talent, and Ground on Down is probably one of his best song, in my opinion.

Both of you... def on point... the only song I was familiar with was Burn One Down when I was smoking a lot of pot during highschool (not really my scene anymore) but I didn't pick up Fight For Your Mind until recently and I can't listen to the album without first listening to Ground On Down... its such an emotional song and he isn't afraid to do some unorthodox things with his voice.

He's also got the sickest Maori tatoos

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is way harder for me than the overrated thread, because I'm wondering how obscure I can get, and to what degree is it reasonable for me to expect others to know these musicians?

Well let met say one that isn't really obscure, but is under appreciated.
Little Richard. You know, James Brown, Elvis Presley, all of the Beatles, etc.. One super-praised musician after another, has cited Little Richard as a major influence on their work and as an inspiration to play music. But you know, I never really hear people sitting around talking about how great he is, or famous organizations like Rolling Stone giving him much accolades.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Eddie Cochran

eddiecochrandl2.jpg

Is he Rockabilly?

Onewithsoul said:
Phish is a little overrated, but because they should be. There's some pure talent. Their best stuff is live because it is a lot of improv. which shows creativity. Their songs are diverse, and their sound is unique. In my opinion.

I had a buddy that really liked Phish! I wanted to look into them but totally forgot! Thanks!

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Is he Rockabilly?

I had a buddy that really liked Phish! I wanted to look into them but totally forgot! Thanks!

No problem! Phish is so refreshing. It's completely bohemian when it comes to generic music. It's what music should really be- freaky, crazy, chill, unique, creative, blissful, inspiring, etc etc.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is he Rockabilly?

Indeed! :yes: One of the very first. Came out of a country/western background like many of them (Elvis, Gene, Roy Orbison, etc). Toured with a lot of great performers including Little Richard (Magic!). Died tragically in a car accident at age 21, so his promising career was cut way short.

I love his dirty gravelly up-all-night-smoking-and-drinking voice.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Autolux and Talk Talk are very good bands that are also very underrated.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
One of the greatest bands of the '80s and early-'90s, but most people outside of the British Isles don't know them. :doh:

[YOUTUBE=-cme2q0N7nM]The Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored[/YOUTUBE]

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd also like to include Echo and the Bunnymen.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Brian Eno and David Byrnes

new--
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DQyusKTAh4"]Strange Overtones[/YOUTUBE]

Talking Heads-
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnAvTTaJjM"]Burning down the House[/YOUTUBE]

You can't beat it, in my opinion.