• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most overrated musical act of all time?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Sooooo. . . The Sex Pistols?
That's the point, why do you think Mr Rotten was a little annoyed at a sizable portion of his "fans"? Beacuse of image? No. It's because instead of actually thinking, they simply followed him with a "**** yeah" which is exactly what he never wants.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Okay after reading what's fallen after the posts yesterday, a few issues...

1. Yes I am posting my honest opinion, evaluated empirically and measured against the same yardstick as yours.
2. Fair dues, yours is bigger... I mean I'd argue the ruler is bent but I'd seem whiney
3. How on earth can anyone expect to calm or even point out that someone is being a little too emotional by getting all emotional?

Jeez you can tell the age gap a mile off with some people.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And about the Beatles--if you don't enjoy their music, that's fine; you have a right to your own musical tastes. But if you don't think they were an amazing band, you're just incorrect.
I thought we were going on our opinions of how much we liked the bands, not how "important" they are.

When I say that a band is overrated, I am saying very generally that there is a great disparity between how much I like the band and how much everyone else seems to like the band. Because you are right about the other stuff being more objective.

Last edited:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I think the gold medal goes to AC/DC and Guns 'n' Roses. These are two good bands and honestly nothing more. I'm not taking a shot at them, I enjoy some of their music, it's just that I don't think they deserve the acclaim and critical lauding that they always seem to get from people.

AC/DC has great guitarwork and some good songs, but other than that, it's just the same "hard rock riff" formula with a somewhat-melodic solo thrown in at the end. And Guns 'n' Roses is just another hair band.

Nope, no way is Guns N' Roses overrated. Their variety is great, they're my personal favorite band of all time.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Perhaps from an objective view point it would be possible to say that all groups who have any form of prestige are over rated. After all if past the point of making music that is capable of pleasing a listener then isn't it all just opinion and hot air? Thus pretty much every band you can think of is over rated.

Sorted.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I love music. My collection is vast so I just can't say any band/performer is overrated. it goes against my music lovin' upbringing and all that is moral and good in the world. some of you should be ashamed.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
That's the point, why do you think Mr Rotten was a little annoyed at a sizable portion of his "fans"? Beacuse of image? No. It's because instead of actually thinking, they simply followed him with a "**** yeah" which is exactly what he never wants.

I was just trying to point out that it's totally possible to be a band put together to sell clothing AND make some great music.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I was just trying to point out that it's totally possible to be a band put together to sell clothing AND make some great music.
You took "girl or boy band designed to sell clothing instead of music" and came up with sex pistols?

What's in that blue stuff? And where is it commonly available?

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
Coldplay.

Maybe not of all time, but they're up there, and they're current. I will refuse to believe that their lyrics have any substance, ever, though it's hard to do that because they make good music boring by the way they go about doing their songs, and tbh I really haven't listened to much of their lyrics.

+1 Radiohead rippoff

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Who is Radiohead?
facepalm.jpg

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I thought we were going on our opinions of how much we liked the bands, not how "important" they are.

When I say that a band is overrated, I am saying very generally that there is a great disparity between how much I like the band and how much everyone else seems to like the band. Because you are right about the other stuff being more objective.

That's kind of the problem with this thread. Half the people are evaluating based on personal like/dislike as compared to their friends, and half are evaluating based on importance/actual ability to live up to the hype/reverence shown.

Carlos Santana

YES.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
So the determining factor for what's "good music" is purely r.a's personal taste as to what he finds enjoyable.

I see...it must fun to have that level of clout! Rolling Stone must be beating down your door.

its pretty amazing to be me, i must admit.:sombrero:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
You took "girl or boy band designed to sell clothing instead of music" and came up with sex pistols?

What's in that blue stuff? And where is it commonly available?

Well, they were put together by a clothing store owner who was trying to capitalize on the burgeoning punk rock scene.