• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most overrated musical act of all time?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think a lot of people are confused about the topic.

There is a difference between not liking a band and being underwhelmed (yes, I know its not a word) by them. Its not interesting to have people sit here and talk about what bands they hate. Its more interesting to hear about people actually liking a genre or style of music in general, yet feeling unimpressed by a sucessful band that plays within that genre.

For example, someone might like Nirvana and Soundgarden but think Pearl Jam are a bunch of hacks.

I don't mind people saying they don't like the Beatles, that they're not interested in their sort of music, but calling them overrated (which implies that they believe this in spite of some interest and knowledge of rock/pop/60s music) is just plain bizarre.

That said, I don't want to draw this argument out. :D

Last edited:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Right, except that nobody really rates MCR that highly at all, except depressed goth/emo kids in high school. So they're really not that overrated.

And Blink-182 is poor man's Green Day, yet they get just as much credit despite half the talent. Both are probably overrated, but Blink much more so.

The last MCR album was very well-reviewed, and I enjoyed maybe 4-5 songs off it.

MBTI Type
INTJ
The last MCR album was very well-reviewed, and I enjoyed maybe 4-5 songs off it.

Agreed, I liked it quite a bit. It's hard, but I try not to blame a band for its fans. I think that might be the case with MCR, who I think are quite talented. I think Green Day is fantastic as well. Again, I sense that too many people are throwing the baby out with the bathwater when they talk about a band's fans.

Blink on the other hand...

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Agreed, I liked it quite a bit. It's hard, but I try not to blame a band for its fans. I think that might be the case with MCR, who I think are quite talented. I think Green Day is fantastic as well. Again, I sense that too many people are throwing the baby out with the bathwater when they talk about a band's fans.

Blink on the other hand...

As one of the best bands of the past 20 years (Sloan) said: "It's not the band I hate, it's the fans." That is how it is for a lot of artists for me. Like Phish, for instance.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't mind people saying they don't like the Beatles, that they're not interested in their sort of music, but calling them overrated (which implies that they believe this in spite of some interest and knowledge of rock/pop/60s music) just plain bizarre.

That said, I don't want to draw this argument out. :D

I don't assess music intellectually, I care how it makes me feel, the Beatles don't move me whatsoever, I don't understand the reverence given to them. Perhaps I'm just ignorant, could someone explain to me why I should be in awe?

Let it Be is a pretty ok song...

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Are you saying you're incapable of understanding why they're good if they don't move you personally?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Aside from live shows how can particular fans disturb your personal enjoyment of someone's music?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
^ Are you saying you're incapable of understanding why they're good if they don't move you personally?

I'm pretty sure I'm capable, I just haven't bothered yet as they move me so little.

I suppose I rate a band based on how much I like them.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm pretty sure I'm capable, I just haven't bothered yet as they move me so little.

I suppose I rate a band based on how much I like them.

Sure and so do I, and so does everybody.

Some of us, however, also rate it according to critical standards at the same time.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Maybe, but what if they really did believe in and passionately love every second of their generic music?

Would they count then?

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
^ Maybe, but what if they really did believe in and passionately love every second of their generic music?

Would they count then?

mmmm... nope.

i mean, good for them, and may they prosper in their own realities. i mean it.

but we're talking about personal taste, so i say no.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
mmmm... nope.

i mean, good for them, and may they prosper in their own realities. i mean it.

but we're talking about personal taste, so i say no.

So the determining factor for what's "good music" is purely r.a's personal taste as to what he finds enjoyable.

I see...it must fun to have that level of clout! Rolling Stone must be beating down your door.

Because sometimes it's useful to see more than just what's in front of your nose. :laugh:

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
The Doors. I don't understand the obsession with Morrisson or the music of that band.

Nirvana. I still listen to their records and I like them, but I personally never got the whole 'legendary rock band' thing, and still don't.

The Grateful Dead - It's just something I seriously doubt I will ever understand.

Also, I love U2 like madness but can totally understand why folks are like "Um, get the hell out of here with your funny names and distortion pedals", hahahaha.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Jack Johnson maybe? I think all of his songs sound the same...

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
The Doors. I don't understand the obsession with Morrisson or the music of that band.

Nirvana. I still listen to their records and I like them, but I personally never got the whole 'legendary rock band' thing, and still don't.

The Grateful Dead
- It's just something I seriously doubt I will ever understand.

Also, I love U2 like madness but can totally understand why folks are like "Um, get the hell out of here with your funny names and distortion pedals", hahahaha.

Those happen to be 3 of some of my most favorite bands..don'tchyu be hatin' gurl!

And U2 sucks ass.