• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most overrated musical act of all time?

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
If you want unpolluted dialogue exchange, separate your critical opinion from the realm of fact and proceed. Otherwise, this thread should be titled "Agree With Metaphours or Suffer His Indigent Judgmental Ire."

Who cares if people rip the Beatles? Does it lower the band in your estimation? Does it make them less seminal? No? Then ramp down.

I don't personally *LIKE* the Beatles, I don't relate to them, and I don't buy their music, but I would never contest their position in the formation of modern rock music, just like I wouldn't contest Elvis (do you see me attacking Xander?) or early country/rockabillies like Johnny Cash or guitarists like Link Ray or Dick Dale for pushing the evolution of the amplifier just to accommodate their style without exploding.
Okay, sorry I "exploded."

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, sorry I "exploded."

I'm glad you're so passionate about music. Just try to grit your teeth through the parts you don't like. Okay? (Envision me, c. 1994, trapped in a deli backroom being forced to listen to deified Hootie and the Blowfish ad nauseum and screaming about there being no justice or God while flinging tabouli salad in a rage).

And I didn't mean YOU exploding, I meant the amplifiers. LOL :D The amplifiers would explode.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm glad you're so passionate about music. Just try to grit your teeth through the parts you don't like. Okay? (Envision me, c. 1994, trapped in a deli backroom being forced to listen to deified Hootie and the Blowfish ad nauseum and screaming about there being no justice or God while flinging tabouli salad in a rage).

And I didn't mean YOU exploding, I meant the amplifiers. LOL :D The amplifiers would explode.
Hahah, that specific event you just mentioned happened the year I was born. :huh:

And what amplifiers?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hahah, that specific event you just mentioned happened the year I was born. :huh:

:doh:

LOL... where's the smiley for strangling young uppity whippersnappers?! :D

Amps: well, early on in the formation of rock, the guitars were limited by their sound range, so Les Paul worked up the first real commercial guitar amp. Surf guitar guys were thrilled because they not only broke huge amounts of strings (they played with special thicker strings to compensate), but they would also turn their amplifiers to slag. Les fixed that. :)

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
:doh:

LOL... where's the smiley for strangling young uppity whippersnappers?! :D
Haha, nice one.

The whole point of this thread is to hone my passion for music. For someone my age, I have quite a diverse taste in music, especially when 99% of teenagers my age's music taste consists of generic, banal, mainstream artists like Soulja Boy and/or Panic at the Disco.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Haha, nice one.

The whole point of this thread is to hone my passion for music. For someone my age, I have quite a diverse taste in music, especially when 99% of teenagers music taste consists of generic, banal, mainstream artists like Soulja Boy and/or Kings of Leon.

I really liked Kings of Leon when I saw them live like five years ago. You should listen to Aha Shake Heartbreak. That's still their best work, IMHO.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I really liked Kings of Leon when I saw them live like five years ago. You should listen to Aha Shake Heartbreak. That's still their best work, IMHO.
Yeah, honestly I've heard extremely mixed opinion about these guys, some saying they're great, and others saying they're garbage, but I never bothered to actually check them out. Maybe I'll do that sometime.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Yeah, honestly I've heard extremely mixed opinion about these guys, some saying they're great, and others saying they're garbage, but I never bothered to actually check them out. Maybe I'll do that sometime.

Then why do you call them banal and mainstream?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Roberta Flack loves Kings. Take that as a ringing endorsement! :D

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You didn't have any misgivings about characterizing a band you've never actually listened to yourself as generic and banal?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Radiohead?!

The Beatles?! :eek:

Seriously people?!

I'm horrified. I don't even know how to respond. That's just wrong on so many levels - blasphemy even. :(

I'm disappointed in you all (especially you Beatles haters :dont:) and I don't care if I sound pretentious and arrogant in saying so (which is saying something) :thelook:

To say a band is overrated doesn't mean you hate them. It may just mean you think they get a ridiculous amount of praise and credit in comparison to other bands who are just as good, if not better. It may also mean that the band doesn't speak to you, even if you can acknowledge they had something significant to contribute to the music world. That's the case with a lot of the bands I listed - mostly good bands (minus a few), but not the 2nd coming, IMO.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
To say a band is overrated doesn't mean you hate them. It may just mean you think they get a ridiculous amount of praise and credit in comparison to other bands who are just as good, if not better. It may also mean that the band doesn't speak to you, even if you can acknowledge they had something significant to contribute to the music world. That's the case with a lot of the bands I listed - mostly good bands (minus a few), but not the 2nd coming, IMO.

Metaphours won't want to hear it, but I firmly believe 2000s Radiohead is overrated. That doesn't make the music bad.