• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most overrated musical act of all time?

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Epic lol @ people disagreeing with others' views in this thread. I thought it would be granted that it is all subjective and based on the individual's opinions.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The Beatles
Elvis
Pink Floyd
Most old metal - I'm thinking Def Leopard (though some of it's good)
Bob Dylan
Jimmy Hendrix (seriously someone mucking about on a guitar is not THAT good is it?)
Whoever that tone deaf shite is who did tubular bells
" " " " " " " " " " " The war of the worlds
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Jay Z, 50 pence + pumped up girly +whomever else with a name like a schoolyard nom de guerre.
Did I mention Andrew Lloyd Webber already?
Whomever wrote those sickly sweet salute the flag songs that make me want to puke all over the stars and stripes the kind of concoction that DOES stain and somehow magically transposes itself onto all other representations of that flag.
Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Simon and Garfunkel
Every last boy or girl band designed to sell clothes instead of music.
That arsehole Andrew Lloyd Webber..
M&M (and no I don't care how he spells it or if he's got a frickin daughter!!!)
Cher
Barbra Streisand (TWICE)
The Rat Pack (I use immodium.. they use music... ho well)

Gimmie more time and I'll think of some more...

Oh I almost forgot... Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Epic lol @ people disagreeing with others' views in this thread. I thought it would be granted that it is all subjective and based on the individual's opinions.

Welcome to the INTJ side of life...

You are entitled to your opinion... you're just wrong is all.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I kinda hope that's just a clever little joke for the irony value.

I kinda REALLY hope that, in fact.

A lot of people feel that way. They're still wrong, though. ;)

Unfortunately it's impossible to say this without sounding horrifically condescending, but please trust me when I say I don't expect ISFPs to appreciate the value in Radiohead.

Not that that's a bad thing, just that...it probably factors into your opinion in calling such an obviously talented band "the most overrated"...just shows that you're missing a lot of context.

This is another case as with Nirvana or Pearl Jam that the hardcore fanatics overrate the band, but the general music-educated public and the critics have gotten it right.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

That's when you are SUPPOSED to disagree. It's kinda silly to argue over things that are objective, demonstrable facts. How ridiculous would be an argument that Kid A sold more copies than Thriller did?

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is another case as with Nirvana or Pearl Jam that the hardcore fanatics overrate the band, but the general music-educated public and the critics have gotten it right.
I've never met anyone who LOVES Pearl Jam.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't forget Creed, Merc.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah I know. Anyone who openly rips on The Beatles is an ignorant bastard and doesn't know anything about music.

If you can't take what you're given, why the **** did you start this thread...

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

I'm 27. If you are ever around white dudes between about 32 and 40, you'll be around some serious Pearl Jam fans. Do you have file sharing software? Search "pearl jam live" sometime. Guys in backwards baseball caps are sharing that stuff like Deadheads did 20-30 years ago.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
If you can't take what you're given, why the **** did you start this thread...
To discuss the most overrated musical artists - like it says in the title. I didn't make this thread to rip on The Beatles because they're a fantastic band that completely deserves the acclaim it receives, but that's just my opinion.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Don't forget Creed, Merc.

Well, I really am never around people who think they were a great band. Although I just started a new job for a music placements company, and there are a lot of bands who list Creed and Alter Bridge (come on, ALTER BRIDGE?) as influences on their sound.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To discuss the most overrated musical artists - like it says in the title. I didn't make this thread to rip on The Beatles because they're a fantastic band that completely deserves the acclaim it receives, but that's just my opinion.

*lol*

*ahem*

Anyone want to take this...

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm 27. If you are ever around white dudes between about 32 and 40, you'll be around some serious Pearl Jam fans. Do you have file sharing software? Search "pearl jam live" sometime. Guys in backwards baseball caps are sharing that stuff like Deadheads did 20-30 years ago.
LOL.

MBTI Type
INTJ

Not to sound condescending, but that's probably a function of your age. I was in college when Pearl Jam hit it big, and trust me, I have several friends and acquaintances that think they're the best band in the world. Eddie Vedder inspires Jim Morrison/Kurt Cobain levels of worship. Personally, I always thought they were pretty good, but I liked Nirvana and Soundgarden better among the grunge bands.

I think age has a lot to do with the disrespect for the Beatles, too. They were as much a cultural force as a band, and if you are too young to remember, it's hard to fathom how much they influenced the direction of popular music. They basically invented the paradigm of the rock band (or at the very least brought it first success.) You rarely hear bands say that the Beatles are one of their influences. That's because they're an influence on every band, even if it's not consciously.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree with you about GnR, Appetite was probably the most sublime hard rock album during that era of hard rock. However, I do agree with you about ACDC. Also, I don't like KISS. There's not one song I like, and how they're as popular and revered as they are, I'll never be able to understand.

I will get killed for saying this, but I don't like the Beatles either. I'd never consider them overrated because I know they changed music, but I just can't get into them.

jock! i'm appalled!

[youtube=kNGNLo8K6Fk] :D [/youtube]
look how cool they are!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

If you want unpolluted dialogue exchange, separate your critical opinion from the realm of fact and proceed. Otherwise, this thread should be titled "Agree With Metaphours or Suffer His Indigent Judgmental Ire."

Who cares if people rip the Beatles? Does it lower the band in your estimation? Does it make them less seminal? No? Then ramp down.

I don't personally *LIKE* the Beatles, I don't relate to them, and I don't buy their music, but I would never contest their position in the formation of modern rock music, just like I wouldn't contest Elvis (do you see me attacking Xander?) or early country/rockabillies like Johnny Cash or guitarists like Link Ray or Dick Dale for pushing the evolution of the amplifier just to accommodate their style without exploding.