• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most overrated musical act of all time?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Black-Eyed Peas (W.... TH?!)

Shakira

Kanye West

Britney Spears (by a long mile)

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I can't get into radiohead. I wonder why they're so popular?
They're fucking brilliant once you finally do get into them. They sat in my iTunes library for about a year before I realized how great they are. However, some people, decide to ignore their greatness ;)

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Coldplay... I don't understand the craze but everybody seems to love them.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let me think... Some have been mentioned here.

Michael Jackson.
Nirvana.
Frank Sinatra.
Nine Inch Nails.
AC/DC
The Sex Pistols (any credit is too much)

The Rolling Stones.

Others will likely come to mind later. This is all subjective of course. How long do you think it will take before some people start arguing like there is an objective basis for all of this?

EDIT: Pink is right! It is amazing how succesful Shakira's career has been. I do not get it.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
?

I've never heard anyone say anything like "NIN is the new god of rock" or something. To me, Trent Reznor's musical talents are underrated.

Well, that's you pal. I have met lots, and lots, and lots of people that say Nine Inch Nails is one of their favorite musical acts. Trent Reznor is now enshrined, in that 20-20 hindsight organizations like Rolling Stone magazine will always include Reznor's work in "all time greatest" lists. And in my experience, people who really like "NIN" tend to be sensitive, more sensitive than I think is reasonable, to me talking crap about it. Most of the people that do like him (and like I said, I've met a lot) are very prone to calling him a genius, which always makes me want to wretch a little.

Another thing has to be kept in mind, though, is that saying music is overrated is saying what you think the distance is between it's quality and what people say of it. That means if something is extremely acclaimed, I could say it's overrated even though I like it. And even is something is mildly accepted, I could say it's overrated if I think it's complete shit.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bono has become a caricature. It's very depressing and irritating. I can't even watch PBS without him popping up there.

Michelle Branch (cannot sing for toffee)

Evanescence (she, like Shakira, sounds as if she's being strangled)

Kanye West (gets another mention because I can't say it enough)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't agree with you on AC/DC. Overrated by who? Bon Scott era AC/DC and Back in Black were great. Genius. The band knows what they are, the fans know what the band is about. They are a working class band. They are the Jackie Chan of rock. They know what they are about and deliver it.

"People always say we've made the same album 12 times. But they're really lying, it's actually 13 times." Angus Young.

The most overrated band is Radiohead.

I was with you alllllll the way up to the last line. :doh:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Romeo and Juliet. They both die at the end. :D

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
+1.

THANK YOU.

it's just pretentious wannabe Pink Floyd yuppie shit.

Coldplay, also.

I don't know if you looked around, but you might notice that it's the popular thing to call Radiohead overrated. So I don't think there's one person to thank here.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't know if you looked around, but you might notice that it's the popular thing to call Radiohead overrated. So I don't think there's one person to thank here.

You really think I dislike Radiohead because, quite ironically, I'm trying to fit in?

I dislike Radiohead not because I see other people hating them (actually, I don't know a lot of people who dislike it), I dislike it because I actually and honestly really hate the music. It is too over-the-top-trying-to-sound-artistic.

But thanks for checking.

and no. I didn't notice. My hatred has sky rocketed because of how popular it is. Radiohead this..Radiohead that. People think it gives them a good rep. if they make their interest public.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I don't know if it's been said before, but I'd just like to cast my vote for Bruce Springsteen.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
The Beatles, I just don't get it.

It's in.

Beatles Rock Band.

World Peace.

Love everyone.

It's all a trend, and teenage yuppies are destroying it.

I know so many people that go to my school who think it's the coolest thing to wear their Beatles t-shirt 4 out of every 5 days of the week.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
It's in.

Beatles Rock Band.

World Peace.

Love everyone.

It's all a trend, and teenage yuppies are destroying it.

I know so many people that go to my school who think it's the coolest thing to wear their Beatles t-shirt 4 out of every 5 days of the week.

:rolli:

Oh come on now, nobody likes a cynical ENFP.

(though I guess the very premise of this thread is a little cynical)