• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most overrated musical act of all time?

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree that Metallica sucks. And I especially dislike Metallica fans. They are such wannabes.

Jimi Hendrix's song 'Hey Joe' I listen to over and over again. I tried others but just couldn't like them. However, I do realize he is respected for his guitar skills and innovations. So I guess he deserves the fame.

One of these:

Pink Floyd
The Rolling Stones
Nirvana
Led Zeppelin

David Bowie
Alanis Morissette
The Clash
The Who
Pearl Jam
Queen

Please tell me you are joking. Esp at Queen. That man's voice and the music the band produced and the number of music they produced was just too good to be included here.

screw you

I'll echo:

Radiohead
Green Day
U2
Guns'n'Roses
Kiss
The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
Nirvana

I think most of them are talented, and I may even like some singles, but overall, I think they get more applause than is warranted.

I notice a trend for people my age & younger to really like Foreigner and Journey. I don't know if it's supposed to be ironic, but they're getting more cred than they deserve also....(and I personally cannot stand them)

Screw you too woman!!!!!

However, regarding the Beatles I must admit it's funny their music style died with them. So it could be that their band's fame and the boy band effect have a huge influenze on their fame. However, they did produce plenty of nice songs, more that 30 I would say and certain classics don't even fall into their category, which is sling or something.

which street are you walking on?

I searched posts by you in this thread for your opinion on this subject. Please contribute. You would probably know a lot regarding this subject.

Also, will anyone kill me if I mention Dr.Dre?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Miles Davis thinks you need some learning, but you aren't anywhere near ready, yet.

20130301_miles_davis_91.jpg

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Overrated is in the eye of the beholder.

That being said, I don't understand the appeal of Bob Dylan. That voice... is like... a cheese grater to my brain.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Overrated is in the eye of the beholder.

That being said, I don't understand the appeal of Bob Dylan. That voice... is like... a cheese grater to my brain.

Well, the thing with Dylan is that nobody has ever thought he was a good singer, in fact he chose that style because he's about the lyrics. There are way more Bob Dylan cover hits than Bob Dylan hits. Ironically, I initially liked him because I was amused you could just honk into a microphone and have a great career.

He can kinda sing if he chose to:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, the thing with Dylan is that nobody has ever thought he was a good singer, in fact he chose that style because he's about the lyrics. There are way more Bob Dylan cover hits than Bob Dylan hits. Ironically, I initially liked him because I was amused you could just honk into a microphone and have a great career.

He can kinda sing if he chose to:

His voice also sounded decent around New Morning era.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Guns 'n' Roses
Kiss
Bon Jovi

I can't put Metallica on the list as I once saw them at a festival and they were pretty good. How can that last line sound more British?

My uncle once saw Ozzy Osborne live and he was bored shitless. Half of the time he was just asking the crowd to clap their hands.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, especially any album after Songs About Jane. And Adam Levine is pretty hot but I find his attractiveness overhyped too. :shrug:
"Payphone" makes me want to put my fist through a wall.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"Payphone" makes me want to put my fist through a wall.

Ironically you have my Queen Mariah to thank for the popularization of incorporating rap and hip-hop into pop music. :D But with people like Airy Gorgonzola and Ingrown Azusa, copying the format doesn't always ensure it will be a quality record.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, especially any album after Songs About Jane. And Adam Levine is pretty hot but I find his attractiveness overhyped too. :shrug:

If Maroon 5 had stopped after Jane or been able to sustain at that level, they'd be bar none one of the the best alt rocks act out there. There are two things that even remotely validate their musical career since that point:

This cover of "Maps", and;

a song that was on an album with tree on the front cover. I can't remember what it's called, but there's 50 credits in it for whomever can find it.

(And my undying love and affection, ect)

Jaguar

Please tell me you are joking. Esp at Queen. That man's voice and the music the band produced and the number of music they produced was just too good to be included here.

Mercury's vocal range was amazing.

Crabs

Permabanned
Too many to name. Kanye West and The Beatles are at the top of my list. Most pop shit, classic rock, country, rap/hip hop and metal. I'm starting to like Jazz though.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People don't overrate maroon 5 do they?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Too many to name. Kanye West and The Beatles are at the top of my list. Most pop shit, classic rock, country, rap/hip hop and metal. I'm starting to like Jazz though.

I can't believe I forgot to list Kanye. The emperor is naked.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i prefer tupac the actor to tupac the rapper. def don't think he's the greatest rapper of all time, he verged on corny and his voice was affected and grating.

sticking with hiphop: 50 cent, TI, jay-z