User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Do people really overrate them, though? More popular than their talent would deserve, maybe, but it's not as if people are running around calling them the greatest rock band of all time. They really didn't put out anything of consequence after 1978, save for maybe "Lick It Up."
    +1. I love Kiss, but I would never call them a "good band". They're mediocre musicians at best with maybe an album's worth of truly great material over a career of 20+ albums. I see them as more of a winking performance art thing. The marketing & merchandising machine, the proclamations of greatness...it's all just romping around in the playground of rock and roll. Some of today's bands could stand to look like they're having a good time, or at least like they're not being stretched on a rack. On the whole, rock music is kind of stupid (though I'm not trying to say it pejoratively) and they just don't mind embracing it.

He's right. People have to think you're good for you to be overrated. That's why I'd never include people like Nickelback or Britney Spears on a list like this.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    +1. I love Kiss, but I would never call them a "good band". They're mediocre musicians at best with maybe an album's worth of truly great material over a career of 20+ albums. I see them as more of a winking performance art thing. The marketing & merchandising machine, the proclamations of greatness...it's all just romping around in the playground of rock and roll. Some of today's bands could stand to look like they're having a good time, or at least like they're not being stretched on a rack. On the whole, rock music is kind of stupid (though I'm not trying to say it pejoratively) and they just don't mind embracing it.

He's right. People have to think you're good for you to be overrated. That's why I'd never include people like Nickelback or Britney Spears on a list like this.
    Yeah, you could make a 80-minute mix CD of KISS that would be pretty great, but it would basically be highlights from Alive!, Destroyer, and Love Gun. They were certainly about the experience more than the musical innovation.

Is Sufjan Stevens still praised by critics or do they think he sucks now? Because he isn't very good.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    The Velvet Underground, The Doors and The Grateful Dead.
    Good calls, all. The Doors, especially. I'll also agree with Nirvana and Coldplay.

I think AC/DC and GnR were mostly just appreciated for what they were--I'm not sure most hair bands aspired to true artistic greatness or anything. It was mostly just fun, loud guitars and chasing after slutty girls.

I don't hate her or anything, but Norah Jones was vastly overrated when her breakout cd hit, and people acted like she was the second coming of Billie Holiday.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'll echo:

Radiohead
    Green Day
    U2
    Guns'n'Roses
    Kiss
    The Rolling Stones
    The Beatles
    Nirvana

I think most of them are talented, and I may even like some singles, but overall, I think they get more applause than is warranted.

I notice a trend for people my age & younger to really like Foreigner and Journey. I don't know if it's supposed to be ironic, but they're getting more cred than they deserve also....(and I personally cannot stand them)
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes grey_beard liked this post

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Let's see here....

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Radiohead [One of my favorite bands]
    Green Day [Hate them]
    U2 [Fond of them]
    Guns'n'Roses [Not very fond of them]
    Kiss [Really not interested]
    The Rolling Stones [Not terrible, but, mehhhh]
    The Beatles [One of my favorite bands]
    Nirvana [Dislike them]
    Interesting patchwork there.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I'll echo:

Radiohead
    Green Day
    U2
    Guns'n'Roses
    Kiss
    The Rolling Stones
    The Beatles
    Nirvana

I think most of them are talented, and I may even like some singles, but overall, I think they get more applause than is warranted.
    I disagree with pretty much all of these, except maybe 2000s Radiohead, U2 (awesome band, really inconsistent album by album), and Nirvana (like a few other bands, the true fanatics overrate them).

I notice a trend for people my age & younger to really like Foreigner and Journey. I don't know if it's supposed to be ironic, but they're getting more cred than they deserve also....(and I personally cannot stand them)
    I think that this is a phenomenon we see with all trends. A subgenre comes along and gets megapopular, people get sick of it and slag it off for years and years, then people go back and realize that not all of it was terrible. The pendulum swings too far in the other direction a lot of the time, though, and popular-but-moderately-talented artists start to be treated with more importance than they warrant. People got sick of disco and then it was totally made fun of through the '80s and into the '90s, then people went back and realized that a lot of disco was actually quite good. Then it happened with AOR and then hair metal. Foreigner and Journey weren't awesome bands, but I'd much rather hear "I Wanna Know What Love Is" or "Wheel in the Sky" than most of the mainstream rock put out now. Again, these are bands who can put together a pretty kickass Greatest Hits, but they aren't godlike geniuses.

MBTI
    INTP

I really like Foreigner and Journey, but like merc says, it was just good radio rock. I don't think anyone's ever really made the case that they were "important," or the voices of their generation, etc. Both had really good lead singers, and Foreigner had some fun guitar and sax work.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    STFU

coldplay
    U2
    aerosmith
    kiss
    kanye west
    carlos santana
    poison
    vampire weekend
    modest mouse
    sublime
    red hot chili peppers
    philip glass
    guns n roses
    nine inch nails
    grateful dead
    the rolling stones
    oasis
    arcade fire
    flaming lips
    amy winehouse

and

dubstep
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am seeing an inordinate amount of people calling The Rolling Stones overrated. Everyone knows they've been pretty bad for the past 25 years. Everyone ought to know they were FUCKING AWESOME the 20 years before that.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I would've also said KISS several years ago, but they're not even getting as much attention these years to call them "overrated."

Nirvana probably also, though they have some really good songs, their fame is probably in the "overrated" category.

I hadn't even heard about Radiohead until the years when I started spending more time online, when internet became a normal thing, and I noticed everyone was talking about them. I thought..."Who?"

Linkin Park was the most overrated from my teenage years. I guess the reason for their fame was just that there weren't any better bands at the time.

AC/DC I would disagree. They are definitely "generic hard rock," and when I think of a "template" for plain-old hard rock, I think of them. I don't know, that's what I like about the music, it's the perfect "standard rock."
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.