User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    :rolli:

Oh come on now, nobody likes a cynical ENFP.

(though I guess the very premise of this thread is a little cynical)
    Well of course I'm going to be cynical of people who do things for the wrong reasons.

You like the Beatles because you think their stuff means something in life...not because you think it does shit to your rep.

My name is ONEWITHSOUL...You've got to mean things.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

My Signature is of the Beatles song Tomorrow Never Knows.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Well of course I'm going to be cynical of people who do things for the wrong reasons.

You like the Beatles because you think their stuff means something in life...not because you think it does shit to your rep.
    Nah, I agree with you there, I just think you overestimate the amount of people who adopt music or a lifestyle because it's "cool". If the music were genuinely bad or the lifestyle impractical to maintain and people were still adopting both, I would agree with you. That's what I mean by your cynicism my dear, your negative assessment of your peers which places you above them because you do not see yourself as a follower of trends.

People likes what they likes. The Beatles are quite overrated, but I don't think that "peace" and "love" are "in" any more than "eating" and "being kinda nice" are "in".

Or maybe I just operate in a different world, because I cannot imagine respecting someone more because they like the Beatles, let alone because they are wearing a Beatles shirt. Frankly that's the dumbest shit I've ever heard, so I am going to give this generation the benefit of the doubt and trust that it does not happen as much as some believe it does.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Nah, I agree with you there, I just think you overestimate the amount of people who adopt music or a lifestyle because it's "cool". If the music were genuinely bad or the lifestyle impractical to maintain and people were still adopting both, I would agree with you. That's what I mean by your cynicism my dear, your negative assessment of your peers which places you above them because you do not see yourself as a follower of trends.

People likes what they likes. The Beatles are quite overrated, but I don't think that "peace" and "love" are "in" any more than "eating" and "being kinda nice" are "in".

Or maybe I just operate in a different world, because I cannot imagine respecting someone more because they like the Beatles, let alone because they are wearing a Beatles shirt. Frankly that's the dumbest shit I've ever heard, so I am going to give this generation the benefit of the doubt and trust that it does not happen as much as some believe it does.
    You're right about my negativity..and it's hard to admit it.

But as far as love and peace being 'in', I don't think I am wrong.

So many people wear it on t-shirts and earrings and almost every clothing apparel (at least, where I go to school), and it just seems to diminish it's sincerity and cramps the meaning. Not to be, but in general. And the more it is common, the less it means, because obviously a lot of these people still refuse to actually mean any of it. Care to disagree, I am stating the facts as I see them.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

You really think I dislike Radiohead because, quite ironically, I'm trying to fit in?

I dislike Radiohead not because I see other people hating them (actually, I don't know a lot of people who dislike it), I dislike it because I actually and honestly really hate the music. It is too over-the-top-trying-to-sound-artistic.

But thanks for checking.
    That was quite an extrapolation. I didn't since those things about you. I meant what I said... which is that a lot of people here have called Radiohead overrated, so I don't see a reason to single anyone out for it.

Anyhow, radiohead is one of my favorite bands. I like the way they sound. I don't read too much into the motives behind their music or what I think their goals are, and I actually don't care if a song means absolutely nothing.

and no. I didn't notice. My hatred has sky rocketed because of how popular it is. Radiohead this..Radiohead that. People think it gives them a good rep. if they make their interest public.
    I think it's wrong to dislike something for it's fanbase. A fanbase defines whether or not something is overrated, but to actually adjust your estimation of the music's quality itself just because it's popular seems misplaced.

This thread reminds me of my brother's girlfriend. When people don't like the music she likes, she acts like they have bad taste. When they like the music she likes, she acts like they are posers who don't really like it the way she does. I cannot tell you how I annoying I find this.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    That was quite an extrapolation. I didn't since those things about you. I meant what I said... which is that a lot of people here have called Radiohead overrated, so I don't see a reason to single anyone out for it.

Anyhow, radiohead is one of my favorite bands. I like the way they sound. I don't read too much into the motives behind their music or what I think their goals are, and I actually don't care if a song means absolutely nothing.

I think it's wrong to dislike something for it's fanbase. A fanbase defines whether or not something is overrated, but to actually adjust your estimation of the music's quality itself just because it's popular seems misplaced.
    Ok, I respect that. You like Radiohead because you like the music. So many people aren't like that- that's my point.

And I personally do not like the music, and that is my opinion. But I don't hate it. I guess my frustration is directed at everyone who pretends to like it, so I apologize for directing that at the music, that is my error.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

You're right about my negativity..and it's hard to admit it.

But as far as love and peace being 'in', I don't think I am wrong.

So many people wear it on t-shirts and earrings and almost every clothing apparel (at least, where I go to school), and it just seems to diminish it's sincerity and cramps the meaning. Not to be, but in general. And the more it is common, the less it means, because obviously a lot of these people still refuse to actually mean any of it. Care to disagree, I am stating the facts as I see them.
    Perfectly fair. In fact, I'm of the opinion that there is no way to objective way to define whether or not something is overrated. We can measure roughly how popular something is, but we cannot measure it's value by any external standard. So the discrepancy we see exists entirely in our own minds according to our own standards, therefore, it's impossible to argue with someone about whether or not X or Y band is overrated.

My personal opinion...I like Radiohead, so I don't think they're overrated. I don't like Springsteen (I am incapable of finding anything of value in his work) so I think he is overrated because from my point of view he isn't worth listening to, let alone gushing over.

I suspect that many people who buy band merch want to express their love for a certain style of music, because everyone wants to be recognized for their good taste..right? Like when someone says "I heard about them first" or "I own all of their albums". People want to differentiate themselves and show others that they are also true appreciators of X or Y band. The motivations for wearing merch and not wearing merch are often not too different.

But, rant away my friend. Your opinion is valuable in it's own right, and most of the above is just me thinking and not directed at you.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

It's in.

Beatles Rock Band.

World Peace.

Love everyone.

It's all a trend, and teenage yuppies are destroying it.

I know so many people that go to my school who think it's the coolest thing to wear their Beatles t-shirt 4 out of every 5 days of the week.
    Are you sure that's not 8 days?

They were before my time but from what I hear they weren't considered that good in their day. Other than in a back street boys kind of way. It's only history that has painted them in a revolutionary light. Agreed they may have changed cheesy pop music, but that's not in the same leagues as rock.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILI

Beatles. I just don't see the appeal.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4