• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most overrated musical act of all time?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
:rolli:

Oh come on now, nobody likes a cynical ENFP.

(though I guess the very premise of this thread is a little cynical)

Well of course I'm going to be cynical of people who do things for the wrong reasons.

You like the Beatles because you think their stuff means something in life...not because you think it does shit to your rep.

My name is ONEWITHSOUL...You've got to mean things.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Well of course I'm going to be cynical of people who do things for the wrong reasons.

You like the Beatles because you think their stuff means something in life...not because you think it does shit to your rep.

Nah, I agree with you there, I just think you overestimate the amount of people who adopt music or a lifestyle because it's "cool". If the music were genuinely bad or the lifestyle impractical to maintain and people were still adopting both, I would agree with you. That's what I mean by your cynicism my dear, your negative assessment of your peers which places you above them because you do not see yourself as a follower of trends.

:shrug:

People likes what they likes. The Beatles are quite overrated, but I don't think that "peace" and "love" are "in" any more than "eating" and "being kinda nice" are "in".

Or maybe I just operate in a different world, because I cannot imagine respecting someone more because they like the Beatles, let alone because they are wearing a Beatles shirt. Frankly that's the dumbest shit I've ever heard, so I am going to give this generation the benefit of the doubt and trust that it does not happen as much as some believe it does.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Nah, I agree with you there, I just think you overestimate the amount of people who adopt music or a lifestyle because it's "cool". If the music were genuinely bad or the lifestyle impractical to maintain and people were still adopting both, I would agree with you. That's what I mean by your cynicism my dear, your negative assessment of your peers which places you above them because you do not see yourself as a follower of trends.

:shrug:

People likes what they likes. The Beatles are quite overrated, but I don't think that "peace" and "love" are "in" any more than "eating" and "being kinda nice" are "in".

Or maybe I just operate in a different world, because I cannot imagine respecting someone more because they like the Beatles, let alone because they are wearing a Beatles shirt. Frankly that's the dumbest shit I've ever heard, so I am going to give this generation the benefit of the doubt and trust that it does not happen as much as some believe it does.

You're right about my negativity..and it's hard to admit it.

But as far as love and peace being 'in', I don't think I am wrong.

So many people wear it on t-shirts and earrings and almost every clothing apparel (at least, where I go to school), and it just seems to diminish it's sincerity and cramps the meaning. Not to be, but in general. And the more it is common, the less it means, because obviously a lot of these people still refuse to actually mean any of it. Care to disagree, I am stating the facts as I see them.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You really think I dislike Radiohead because, quite ironically, I'm trying to fit in?

I dislike Radiohead not because I see other people hating them (actually, I don't know a lot of people who dislike it), I dislike it because I actually and honestly really hate the music. It is too over-the-top-trying-to-sound-artistic.

But thanks for checking.

That was quite an extrapolation. I didn't since those things about you. I meant what I said... which is that a lot of people here have called Radiohead overrated, so I don't see a reason to single anyone out for it. :huh:

Anyhow, radiohead is one of my favorite bands. I like the way they sound. I don't read too much into the motives behind their music or what I think their goals are, and I actually don't care if a song means absolutely nothing.

and no. I didn't notice. My hatred has sky rocketed because of how popular it is. Radiohead this..Radiohead that. People think it gives them a good rep. if they make their interest public.

I think it's wrong to dislike something for it's fanbase. A fanbase defines whether or not something is overrated, but to actually adjust your estimation of the music's quality itself just because it's popular seems misplaced.

This thread reminds me of my brother's girlfriend. When people don't like the music she likes, she acts like they have bad taste. When they like the music she likes, she acts like they are posers who don't really like it the way she does. I cannot tell you how I annoying I find this.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That was quite an extrapolation. I didn't since those things about you. I meant what I said... which is that a lot of people here have called Radiohead overrated, so I don't see a reason to single anyone out for it. :huh:

Anyhow, radiohead is one of my favorite bands. I like the way they sound. I don't read too much into the motives behind their music or what I think their goals are, and I actually don't care if a song means absolutely nothing.

I think it's wrong to dislike something for it's fanbase. A fanbase defines whether or not something is overrated, but to actually adjust your estimation of the music's quality itself just because it's popular seems misplaced.

Ok, I respect that. You like Radiohead because you like the music. So many people aren't like that- that's my point.

And I personally do not like the music, and that is my opinion. But I don't hate it. I guess my frustration is directed at everyone who pretends to like it, so I apologize for directing that at the music, that is my error.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
You're right about my negativity..and it's hard to admit it.

But as far as love and peace being 'in', I don't think I am wrong.

So many people wear it on t-shirts and earrings and almost every clothing apparel (at least, where I go to school), and it just seems to diminish it's sincerity and cramps the meaning. Not to be, but in general. And the more it is common, the less it means, because obviously a lot of these people still refuse to actually mean any of it. Care to disagree, I am stating the facts as I see them.

Perfectly fair. In fact, I'm of the opinion that there is no way to objective way to define whether or not something is overrated. We can measure roughly how popular something is, but we cannot measure it's value by any external standard. So the discrepancy we see exists entirely in our own minds according to our own standards, therefore, it's impossible to argue with someone about whether or not X or Y band is overrated.

My personal opinion...I like Radiohead, so I don't think they're overrated. I don't like Springsteen (I am incapable of finding anything of value in his work) so I think he is overrated because from my point of view he isn't worth listening to, let alone gushing over.

I suspect that many people who buy band merch want to express their love for a certain style of music, because everyone wants to be recognized for their good taste..right? Like when someone says "I heard about them first" or "I own all of their albums". People want to differentiate themselves and show others that they are also true appreciators of X or Y band. The motivations for wearing merch and not wearing merch are often not too different.

But, rant away my friend. Your opinion is valuable in it's own right, and most of the above is just me thinking and not directed at you.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
It's in.

Beatles Rock Band.

World Peace.

Love everyone.

It's all a trend, and teenage yuppies are destroying it.

I know so many people that go to my school who think it's the coolest thing to wear their Beatles t-shirt 4 out of every 5 days of the week.

Are you sure that's not 8 days? :D

They were before my time but from what I hear they weren't considered that good in their day. Other than in a back street boys kind of way. It's only history that has painted them in a revolutionary light. Agreed they may have changed cheesy pop music, but that's not in the same leagues as rock.

valentine

MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Beatles. I just don't see the appeal.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
:laugh: at it being a "trend" to be a Beatles fan. If so, the trend has lasted around 45 years now. ;)

MBTI Type
INTJ
My vote goes with the anti-Radiohead rabble.

(Dis?)honorable mentions to The Velvet Underground, The Doors and The Grateful Dead.

And I'm sure like everyone else, I'm horrified to find lots of my favorite bands represented in this thread :D

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
It's in.

Beatles Rock Band.

World Peace.

Love everyone.

It's all a trend, and teenage yuppies are destroying it.

I know so many people that go to my school who think it's the coolest thing to wear their Beatles t-shirt 4 out of every 5 days of the week.

The "Love everyone" is a definite trend. Every hipster within a 5 mile radius wears a "Love is the movement" or "To Write Love On Her Arms" shirt. Or maybe an eye-irritating neon shirt and/or pants.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They were before my time but from what I hear they weren't considered that good in their day. Other than in a back street boys kind of way.

You basically accounted for the Beatlemania, fab four, mop top period of the band, but that's it.

It's only history that has painted them in a revolutionary light. Agreed they may have changed cheesy pop music, but that's not in the same leagues as rock.

No, I assure you, they significantly changed rock'n'roll, and you can find testimony from tons and tons of contemporary and following rock musicians.
You don't have to like the Beatles, but saying they aren't influential, or that they weren't praised in their day, is objectively false.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
+1.

THANK YOU.

it's just pretentious wannabe Pink Floyd yuppie shit.

U2
Coldplay
OK, I'm a Radiohead fan and a Pink Floyd fan, and I have to say the two are nothing alike. They can only be compared by the fact that they both make "art" music, and Radiohead has never once tried to "copy" Pink Floyd. In fact, it was annoying people who listened to their music, were turned off by the hype and wanted someone to compare Radiohead to, just to dispel the fact that they are an amazing band, who made the comparison.

And OneWithSoul, not to call you out or anything, but I dislike the way you act as if something is better just because it did it first. Both Radiohead and Pink Floyd make roughly-considered "art" rock, but just because Pink Floyd did it 20 years before Radiohead did, doesn't make them better OR give you the distinction to say Radiohead are "rip-offs." Something is not better than something else just because it happened way before the other thing did. That's like saying "my oldest son is better than my youngest son, because my oldest son was born first." They're both good on two different levels and in two different timeframes, you can't always compare something old to something new like that.

Usehername

On a mission
Coldplay.

Maybe not of all time, but they're up there, and they're current. I will refuse to believe that their lyrics have any substance, ever, though it's hard to do that because they make good music boring by the way they go about doing their songs, and tbh I really haven't listened to much of their lyrics.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
It would be hard for me to name a single artist. Off the top of my critic's choice head, My Bloody Valentine, Tupac, Pearl Jam, and a good portion of the acid rock/psychedelic era like Janis Joplin/Big Brother and the Holding Company, The Jefferson Airplane, and some of The Doors' output are all overrated by a lot of people.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

Do people really overrate them, though? More popular than their talent would deserve, maybe, but it's not as if people are running around calling them the greatest rock band of all time. They really didn't put out anything of consequence after 1978, save for maybe "Lick It Up."