First 16242526272836 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    the most overrated band to me is pink floyd.. especially within the context of someone telling me how "deep" they are if you listen to the wall while watching fantasia or whatever along those lines.

they were kind of cool with syd barrett though.
    Blasphemy. Pink Floyd was genius.

I don't know about being deep, but they were incredibly innovative.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    So rather than complaining about music critique on the internet, I should complain about music critique on the internet?
    As usual, you miss the point. This thread is not controlled by you, or anyone.
    If you want some type of control, then go start a blog.
    This is a forum thread where people can say whatever they wish, as long as they are not breaking some forum policy.
    That means, they can say whatever they want about music without you moaning about proper critique methods.

Just because you don't like the underlying reasons people may have for their music choices, doesn't mean it's wrong.

I don't see anything wrong with someone commenting that a piece of music didn't move them.
    I don't see anything wrong with someone commenting a poem, or painting didn't move them.
    Art, in any form, has the ability to move people. (Except you, perhaps.)
    You're so busy putting everything from people to music in little Ti boxes, it makes me wonder how the hell you enjoy anything in life.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    Pink Floyd was genius.
    I don't know about being deep, but they were incredibly innovative.
    Innovative? Hell, yes. I also think Gilmour's voice was quite unique - haunting.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I mostly agree with simulatedworld too.

I don't know crap about some areas of music (jazz, world music, rap) and so I don't feel I'm qualified to pass judgment on something in those areas other than noting if I liked something I heard.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    As usual, you miss the point. This thread is not controlled by you, or anyone.
    If you want some type of control, then go start a blog.
    This is a forum thread where people can say whatever they wish, as long as they are not breaking some forum policy.
    That means, they can say whatever they want about music without you moaning about proper critique methods.

Just because you don't like the underlying reasons people may have for their music choices, doesn't mean it's wrong.

I don't see anything wrong with someone commenting that a piece of music didn't move them.
    I don't see anything wrong with someone commenting a poem, or painting didn't move them.
    Art, in any form, has the ability to move people. (Except you, perhaps.)
    You're so busy putting everything from people to music in little Ti boxes, it makes me wonder how the hell you enjoy anything in life.
    Your point is to inform me that people have the right to say what they want to?

Great, thanks for that update. I also have a right to tell them I think their opinions are stupid. I never suggested that people don't have a right to share their opinions--telling them I think their opinions are dumb or misplaced doesn't mean I support removing their right to express them. I don't know why you think exercising my equally valid right to shoot down their opinions implies that I believe they should be censored.

People who make that argument are typically out of intelligible things to say on the topic..."OMG IT'S MY OPINION AND I HAVE A RIGHT TO IT!!!!!11" usually translates to, "I don't have any real basis for saying this, but I'm pissed!"

Also, you really don't get Ti. Next.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Sim seems to be an expert in a lot of things with no room for other opinions. What an amazing man!
    There's a difference between a legitimately informed, differing opinion, and an uninformed idiot mouthing off about something he doesn't know anything about.

Anyone who says the Beatles were bad falls into the latter category. When I have this sort of discussion with people on this forum, you'll notice that I'm open and courteous with people who actually know what they're talking about. If I'm self-righteously correcting you on a subject I've put a lot of study into, it's because you don't know enough about that subject to have a meaningful opinion on it, so I don't care to waste my time indulging your ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I don't know crap about some areas of music (jazz, world music, rap) and so I don't feel I'm qualified to pass judgment on something in those areas other than noting if I liked something I heard.
    Smart man.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Sim's world of music.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

That's your comeback?

That's your comeback?
    You once told me how much it pisses you off when you take the time to type out a post to me, and then I blow it off.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Your point is to inform me that people have the right to say what they want to?

Great, thanks for that update. I also have a right to tell that I think their opinions are stupid. I never suggested that people don't have a right to share their opinions--telling them I think their opinions are dumb or misplaced doesn't mean I support removing their right to express them.
    Interesting how these Jaguar/simulatedworld debates always go. It's the same every time, and nothing ever gets solved. I would comment on more of these statements, but there's really no point, and nothing good would come of it, so I'm not going to bother.

Also, I would try and address the OP, to compensate for all the thread derailing I've helped to do, but I've overthought the concept of judging good/bad music to the point that my head hurts every time I think about it.

I will say, though, that everyone has their own music-judging scale, and there is definitely emotion involved in what musical styles people like, so trying to rationally convince them that certain music is good when they hate it, or vice versa, is not going to work.

That's your comeback?
    That's kind of how I felt about the "fail" post. But there you go. We all have our moments.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    You once told me how much it pisses you off when you take the time to type out a post to me, and then I blow it off.
    I find that I become desensitized to that as your posts get increasingly lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Interesting how these Jaguar/simulatedworld debates always go. It's the same every time, and nothing ever gets solved. I would comment on more of these statements, but there's really no point, and nothing good would come of it, so I'm not going to bother.
    It usually goes something like this:

Sim: [a bunch of Ne and/or Ti and/or Fe crap]
    Jag: [insistence that Ne/Ti/Fe is stupid]

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Also, I would try and address the OP, to compensate for all the thread derailing I've helped to do, but I've overthought the concept of judging good/bad music to the point that my head hurts every time I think about it.

I will say, though, that everyone has their own music-judging scale, and there is definitely emotion involved in what musical styles people like, so trying to rationally convince them that certain music is good when they hate it, or vice versa, is not going to work.
    You just have to be able to separate the two. There's bad music that I like and great music that I dislike; the only thing that bothers me is when people think the two are the same thing.

That's kind of how I felt about the "fail" post. But there you go. We all have our moments.
    Well, I guess you got me there.

Interesting how these Jaguar/simulatedworld debates always go.
    Nothing new.

I find that I become desensitized to that as your posts get increasingly lazy.
    Blah blah blah. Same bullshit as always.