User Tag List

First 13212223242533 Last

Results 221 to 230 of 388

  1. #221
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I'm starting to recognize how pointless this thread is. Every post is just "ZOMG THIS ARTIST DOESN'T MEET MY PERSONAL EXPECTATIONS FOR WHAT GOOD MUSIC SHOULD BE LOL"

    which is pretty meaningless. If you're going to critique music, do it as objectively as you can by comparing the artist to other artists in a similar genre during a similar time period.

    Frankly, most of you have a very parochial mold for what characteristics you expect "good music" to have and so you end up dismissing the vast majority of music by judging it in terms of some other genre that you like better. If you assume that all good music is supposed to sound like Lynyrd Skynyrd, of course Radiohead doesn't interest you. That doesn't make them bad; it makes you ignorant for saying so.

    If you simply don't enjoy an entire genre, your opinion that x prominent artist from that genre is "overrated" or "bad" is just utterly meaningless, because you don't like that genre in the first place and so you have no idea how to evaluate the performance in meaningful terms.

    It's like hearing 15 year old metalheads ramble on about how much the Beatles suck because when they listen to music they're looking for one very specific set of characteristics (in this case, fast, technically difficult, aggressive playing, chunky modern production EQd toward drums and guitars, and dark/menacing lyrics) and everything else just gets labeled "bad" because they don't understand how to judge a piece of music in the context of its own genre.

    Not fitting your genre preferences doesn't make music bad. Stacking up poorly next to other artists in the same genre from the same time period in terms of objective critique does...if I hear another ISFP whine that "Radiohead sucks" for reasons that boil down to "they don't sound like AC/DC", I'm going to stab someone in the fucking eye.

    "I listened to the whole Radiohead record, but I couldn't find one rockin' pentatonic blues riff, super cranked reverb-soaked arena drum beat, rippin' 128th note shred solo or lyric about gettin' drunk and lovin' my girl in my new '68 Chevy! This band SUCKS!" fucking

    /rant
    Upon reviewing this new evidence, I'd like to change my answer to Radiohead.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  2. #222
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Upon reviewing this new evidence, I'd like to change my answer to Radiohead.
    Not enough songs about drunken debauchery?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  3. #223
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    You've come here just to start a fight
    You had to piss on our parade
    You had to shred our big day
    You had to ruin it for all concerned
    In a drunken punch-up at a wedding

  4. #224
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    You've come here just to start a fight
    You had to piss on our parade
    You had to shred our big day
    You had to ruin it for all concerned
    In a drunken punch-up at a wedding
    haha wow you pwned me, nice work

    Regarding Radiohead though, they're pretty inconsistent and have a fair number of songs that I don't much care for, but that's what happens when you experiment so much...you're bound to go wrong sometimes. But when they go right they do so much better than all their competitors that they're worthy of the adoration they get.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  5. #225
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Radiohead doesn't suck. Radiohead fans suck.

    It's like entry level music snobbery for people who haven't discovered indie rock yet.

  6. #226
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I'm starting to recognize how pointless this thread is. Every post is just "ZOMG THIS ARTIST DOESN'T MEET MY PERSONAL EXPECTATIONS FOR WHAT GOOD MUSIC SHOULD BE LOL"

    which is pretty meaningless. If you're going to critique music, do it as objectively as you can by comparing the artist to other artists in a similar genre during a similar time period.
    A compacted response rant:

    There is no such thing as objective music criticism! There is no universal standard of musical quality! Literally - NONE! It does not work that way. Maybe it used to, back when there were fewer musical genres in Western society (and that was hundreds of years ago!!!), but it certainly doesn't now. This is how musical debates go, in my experience, regardless of what type of music you're talking about:

    Person A: I love _____ music.
    Person B: Really??? But they're terrible!
    Person A: I don't think they are. I like them because they have ____ and _____ and they use a lot of _____ and a small amount of ______.
    Person B: See, I hate that.

    No objectivity there. The only way there can be objective music criticism is if there's an objective set of standards that bands/musicians must follow in order to be good, and there isn't one.

    /rant
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  7. #227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Cheap shot? Not if Radiohead is actually overrated.
    Hah! I think it is, because the way it was put it brings into question the capacity to rate the band in the first place. Anyway, like I said, it is more about the fandom surrounding the band than the band itself. The Beatles were overrated in their heyday. That is why they said they could fart on stage and the audience would applaud.

  8. #228
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    A compacted response rant:

    There is no such thing as objective music criticism! There is no universal standard of musical quality! Literally - NONE! It does not work that way. Maybe it used to, back when there were fewer musical genres in Western society (and that was hundreds of years ago!!!), but it certainly doesn't now. This is how musical debates go, in my experience, regardless of what type of music you're talking about:

    Person A: I love _____ music.
    Person B: Really??? But they're terrible!
    Person A: I don't think they are. I like them because they have ____ and _____ and they use a lot of _____ and a small amount of ______.
    Person B: See, I hate that.

    No objectivity there. The only way there can be objective music criticism is if there's an objective set of standards that bands/musicians must follow in order to be good, and there isn't one.

    /rant
    fail
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  9. #229
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    fail
    Okay, there's rationally debating your point, and then there's pointless trolling. This post proves which one you prefer.

    Screw this thread.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  10. #230
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Okay, there's rationally debating your point, and then there's pointless trolling. This post proves which one you prefer.

    Screw this thread.
    Sim plays his little guitar and gives people music lessons rather than deliver pizza. (Delivering pizza was his old job.)
    And because he plays his little guitar and gives music lessons, he thinks it gives him the right to tell off everyone in this thread.
    If you start a thread on pizza, he will 'slap you around' on that topic as well.
    After all, he is an "expert" in music and pizza.

Similar Threads

  1. The Most Difficult Video Games of All Time Sort By Category
    By Mal12345 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2015, 12:49 AM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-18-2013, 02:24 AM
  3. Worst Music Video Of All Time
    By highlander in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 10-20-2012, 09:07 AM
  4. Most underrated musical act of all time?
    By r0wo1 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 08:17 AM
  5. The 5 Most Bad Ass Presidents of All-Time
    By swordpath in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO