User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Best Anime TV Series?

I just watched the whole Dragon Ball Z saga, all 276 episodes.
    Now I'm watching Dragon Ball GT, which is great!
    So what should I watch after that?
    What are the best anime tv shows besides Dragon Ball, Speed Racer, and Kimba the Lion? Anything good dubbed in English or subtitled?
    Oh, I just remembered I wanted to watch Space Battleship Yamato. That should be cool.

Does anybody know the title of that old black and white Japanese movie (live action) where a giant samurai statue comes to life and starts attacking stuff? I think it probably had a giant robot too.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Serial Experiments Lain
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Ghost in the Shell
    Death Note

Though that's just my taste... I don't know if someone with your tastes would like those.

If we're talking about action variety. I've just included the opening scene but some really good action ones would be:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WhXPricbTs"]Claymore[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OuRajFzMYI"]Samurai Champloo[/YOUTUBE]

For the more non serious lighter comedy. One of my greatest suggestions would be

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9ZNixv5-E"]Nodame Cantabile OP[/YOUTUBE]
    A romantic comedy anime about musical college. Basically about an IXTJ and an EXFP developing a bond.

For a more serious ones with some underlying messages behind it. There's so many but some would be...

[YOUTUBE="qcjLT-EOrPA"]Welcome to NHK OP[/YOUTUBE]
    About a social outcast (Japan has a problem where people lock themselves away)

[YOUTUBE="VTEMxvCbem0"]Kaiba Opening Song[/YOUTUBE]
    Err... Storyline for this is a little wack, but essentially it explores the mind/body problem and what memory is.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSf-oQiiX0o"]Kino's Journey Movie OP[/YOUTUBE]
    A traveller exploring different societies (Example: What a place would be like if everyone had telepathy. Or a society constantly searching to create a culture.)

[YOUTUBE="CxY0ALI7izo"]Haibane Renmei opening[/YOUTUBE]
    Slow paced anime exploring what appears to be rather christian like themes...

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I personally really really like Claymore and Wolf's Rain.

They are nothing like DBZ though and I personally dislike DBZ, and absolutely don't like One Piece. Taste just differ I guess. :P

The closest to that type of anime that I don't 'dislike' and has parts I did enjoy is Bleach. It's not a masterpiece of seriousness, coolness, plotness, character development and emotionness as Claymore and Wolf's Rain. And has some weird fillers and has hard to follow timelines because of it. And it has a tiny bit of ecchi but very mild and quite acceptable as well, and has a good transition between the 'lame' parts and the more serious parts. And is also humorous during the 'lame' parts and actually makes it work on a more intellectual level without being too cliché. As well as being fairly helpful towards character development. So all in all, not a bad anime with pretty cool fights and some neat storylines. But definatly not my favorite.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ

Just because I mentioned DBZ, it doesn't mean that's all I like.
    It's just that it's hugely popular, so I was exposed to it because of that.

But I saw an episode of "Lucky Star" recently and I definitely don't like that.
    It's incredibly boring. But for some reason it's popular with 4chan.

Wow Kai, some of these are my favorites

Apart from Kino's Journey, Kaiba, Haibane Renmei and Wolf's Rain, I recommend...

1. GitS SAC
    2. Monster
    3. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    4. RahXephon

AWESOME shows.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Oh, and also, I hate dubbed anime's personally. Especially since anime's are usually based on fantasy worlds. Japanese language with subtitles just seems to fit much better. Also, dubbed anime's often distort quite some sentences to fit the screenplay, and you're often left with quite lame dialogue, whereas the subbed version has a much more interesting dialogue. For me, dubbed takes away quite a bit of quality.

Just my two cents. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Code Geass and Lelouch rule all.

Lucky Star is popular because it's otaku/geek bait. I love it myself because of the numerous hilarious references. Similarly, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is awesome.

Here is a Lucky Star clip that illustrates everything that I love about it:
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhjhjVpaAVk"]Lucky Star Awesomeness[/YOUTUBE]

I can't think of a "best" series, just series from various genres that I really enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by TSDesigner View Post
    Just because I mentioned DBZ, it doesn't mean that's all I like.
    It's just that it's hugely popular, so I was exposed to it because of that.

But I saw an episode of "Lucky Star" recently and I definitely don't like that.
    It's incredibly boring. But for some reason it's popular with 4chan.
    Lucky Star contains alot of Otakuism references and in general is just crazy silly. If you haven't really watched much anime, and don't really identify with gaming geeks then it's best to steer clear of these sort of anime.

BTW for Weeaboos... Genshiken is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Here is a Lucky Star clip that illustrates everything that I love about it:
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhjhjVpaAVk"]Lucky Star Awesomeness[/YOUTUBE]
    Haha. That purple haired person Tsukasa's pretty amusing with the Chomp Meat HP! Along with the "Not released" part... =.=

I couldn't get into Lucky Star, but I hear it changes after the first few episodes from the "What sort of food do you eat?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Lucky Star contains alot of Otakuism references and in general is just crazy silly. If you haven't really watched much anime, and don't really identify with gaming geeks then it's best to steer clear of these sort of anime.

Haha. That purple haired person Tsukasa's pretty amusing with the Chomp Meat HP! Along with the "Not released" part... =.=

I couldn't get into Lucky Star, but I hear it changes after the first few episodes from the "What sort of food do you eat?"
    Yeah. It is really silly, but awesome. I used to game, so most of the gaming conversations are hilarious to me. The rest of the anime references everything, including SHnY (tonnes of them), Maria-sama ga miteru, Code Geass, Hatsune Miku, individual seiyuu, cosplay cafes, anime conventions, eroge and harems. Pure otaku bait.

Tsukasa's the airhead. I still crack up every time at "Tsukasa, press enter". I think the chocolate cornet conversation pretty much puts everyone off... But by the end, you really come to care about the characters. I wish there was more.