• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Daniel Day Lewis

Mole

Permabanned
I watched an interview with Daniel Day Lewis last night.

He was trying to explain what it was like being an actor. But he was trying to explain what it was like from the inside - from his inner point of view.

I thought he was being crystal clear and even going further and showing what it was like - he was showing as well as telling.

But the interviewer, Michael Parkinson, couldn't get it.

He couldn't understand what being an artist was even though he had the genuine article in front of him, showing him.

For Daniel Day Lewis is a genuine artist. And meeting him, you realise how rare this is. And how incomprehensible this is to the non artist.

For to be an artist all you need to do is to get out of your own way.

But this is unthinkable for almost everyone.

And so a genuine artist remains magical and incomprehensible.

Simply because we can't get out of our own way.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Yeah that's definately a part of it. I'm surprised Parkinson wasn't more aware seeing as that's been his profession for decades. DDL is awesome and a real privalidge to hear him talk about his art becasue most artists of exceptional talent don't, for obvious reasons.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For Daniel Day Lewis is a genuine artist.

He sure is. I love his performances. When I watch him I feel his intensity and sincerity.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
daniel day lewis is the real deal. i like how he spent time in italy between acting gigs to be a cobbler. a fucking cobbler. i love that man.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah he's good, but it's a shame that there are so few people everyone can agree is a skilled actor/actress. Popular film should be littered with Philip Seymour Hoffman's, but it's not.

Mole

Permabanned
Yeah he's good, but it's a shame that there are so few people everyone can agree is a skilled actor/actress. Popular film should be littered with Philip Seymour Hoffman's, but it's not.

Sure, and there are so few genuine artists.

Interestingly, I would call Orson Wells a genuine artist.

And it is more than outer skills, it is an inner disposition.

It is taking delight in the art itself, whether it is acting or painting or dancing.

So one gets out of one's way and lets the art speak.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
misused capitalism.

Yeah not very clear. I meant to say that the education system is in place to fuel capatilism. I.e. After the war money was needed to rebuild all that was lost and so on. The edu. system doesn't allow creativity to flourish, only what is essentailly a copying of intelligence. Inevitably that system is not sustainable. And hopefully there will be another creative movement.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
In fact - and Im moving into another topic now- there already is one with the current need for reusing what we consume, people I being creative. If only we could pass this on the our children because unfortunately the government won't change what is taught to our children. But as I said, we can hope, or better still action someone will make the change.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I can only apologize for the appalling grammar. iPhones are great but typing anything is not in it's forte.