• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite retro gaming system?

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
I remember when Zelda came out for NES. Sparkling gold colored cartridge. So new, crazy looking!

I think every kid stayed home for at least two weeks straight. LOL

And how the heck did every kid in America know with the NES and SNES to take the cartridge out and blow in it and put it right back in to make it work? We didn't have internet back then to figure that out! But every kid knew! Kids nowadays are soft. :D

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I remember when Zelda came out for NES. Sparkling gold colored cartridge. So new, crazy looking!

And how the heck did every kid in America know with the NES and SNES to take the cartridge out and blow in it and put it right back in to make it work? We didn't have internet back then to figure that out! But every kid knew! Kids nowadays are soft. :D
It happened through word-of-mouth, that's how. People figure out that kind of stuff now easier though because the internet has become like the new word-of-mouth. I also speculate that's how people figured out how to calibrate the NES light gun by pointing it directly into a lightbulb and pressing the trigger a few times, although I don't know how well that worked.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Hey, remember this commercial?

YouTube - Zelda Commercial

LOL! haha

I vaguely remember some commercial with Ganon shown for like a milisecond...I think??? and Nintendo Power commercials, that Nintendo magazine. lol

I actually sent in my high score on Gradius to Nintendo Power Magazine. up up down down left right left right A+B. :glasses: :glasses::glasses::glasses:

*edit* man looking at these commercials on Youtube, i don't remember ANY of these NES commercials for some reason! And I don't remember seeing ANYONE with that NES robot. actually it doesn't surprise me i don't remember, when I saw Transformers the Movie (the 80's one) a few years ago again, it was like i was watching it all over again... weird.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
It happened through word-of-mouth, that's how. People figure out that kind of stuff now easier though because the internet has become like the new word-of-mouth. I also speculate that's how people figured out how to calibrate the NES light gun by pointing it directly into a lightbulb and pressing the trigger a few times, although I don't know how well that worked.

Dood, its like... it doesn't work, and you want it to work, so u sit there and you blow inside the nintendo bc its hot, you blow inside the cartridge bc its hot or dusty, and if not, you turn it on and off, or go let it cool down for 5 minutes, but no matter what, you must make it work! haha and viola, blowing into the cartridge seems to work pretty well. who knows why? maybe its the dust? no one ever really knew why that worked... everyone just knew to do it.

you can't believe high scores from duck hunt, ppl can just go up to the screen and shoot the duck 1 inch away. lolz

MFJAGgernaut-B

MBTI Type
INFP
The N64 no doubt set what would become the standard for video games everywhere, and it's prowess is still influential to this day.

Actually, N64 was a result of Nintendo panicking upon realizing that contracting an SNES CD add-on to Sony would give Sony rights to half of Nintendo's games library. By the time Nintendo backed out of the deal, Sony had already finished drawing up the plans, which eventually turned into the PlayStation, which creamed both N64 and Sega's Dreamcast. Now PlayStation, Nintendo, and new-challenger Microsoft all run on optical discs, and even the portables have finally weaned off cartridges.

So in a way, I guess you're right.

On topic, I'll have to give props to the good ol' PC. Anybody play Raptor: Call of the Shadows?

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Did anyone here have a Sega Saturn? My buddy had one, but he had different tastes in games than I did. From what I understand, there were quite a few beautiful sprite-based games on that one.

I loves me some sprites. :D

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did anyone here have a Sega Saturn? My buddy had one, but he had different tastes in games than I did. From what I understand, there were quite a few beautiful sprite-based games on that one.

I had a Dreamcast...

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

The first Legend of Zelda is on my short list of best games ever made. It was so different than any game that came before it. The game was about exploration and you saved your progress as you went. There was no score whatsoever. You collected items as you went and most of them were significant gameplay enhancements. These seemed like totally foreign concepts when it was released and Nintendo had to make sure to include hints with the game, because they were afraid people just wouldn't "get it".

I really think the combination of it and Super Mario Bros. killed the arcade. Super Mario Bros. showed you can have the same quality of game at home as at the arcade. Legend of Zelda showed you can have a totally different experience at home that you can't get in an arcade.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Sprites??

Pshaw...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUe9ASlu9Us"]Shenmue Saturn Version[/YOUTUBE]

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ

Haha, so true.

I loved playing Spacewar on the Atari, but the first gaming system I owned was a Gameboy, and then an SNES. I'd have to say the Gameboy was my favorite because of it's portability. I loved playing Kid Icarus and Paperboy on that thing. Wow.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think I would have to say SNES: FFVI, Super Street Fighter II, Donkey Kong Country, Earthworm Jim, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, even Wolfenstein 3D/Doom (sure, the PC versions were better, but if you didn't have a PC that would play these games then the SNES was a pretty good alternative since these first FPS titles didn't present the need to aim within the vertical axis).

However, when I was very young we had an Atari 5200. I still have it, although the paddles don't work. (The paddles were the first "analogue" controllers.) The paddles wore out after a ridiculously short usage period. After very little use, they are basically useless. The 5200 was great because it had superior verions of some great 2600 games such as Pitfall 2, River Raid, Pac-Man, Qix, Kangaroo, etc.

My grandparents had an Atari 2600 which I now have. (Needs a new RF converter though I think.) I remember playing a single game of Asteroids for about 4 hours straight, before simply quitting. I loved that game. Best 2-note soundtrack ever... :D

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have Virtual Boy. It's a very cool stereoscopic 3D game system and the only one ever made. I got it cheap when it went on clearance and I got a bunch of games for $5 each.

nxpnsv_virtualboy-full.jpg

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
286 pc, 10Mhz. The only PC I ever owned that could run Deathtrack, which is the most awesome game ever created for its time, at its intended normal speed.

But if you go purely console wise. I seemed pretty happy with my Sega Mastersystem II and the Neo Geo. It's a shame I threw all my Neo Geo stuff away. That stuff would have been worth a lot now as I owned two of the more rare Neo Geo games. :)