User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    enfp

I remember when Zelda came out for NES. Sparkling gold colored cartridge. So new, crazy looking!

I think every kid stayed home for at least two weeks straight. LOL

And how the heck did every kid in America know with the NES and SNES to take the cartridge out and blow in it and put it right back in to make it work? We didn't have internet back then to figure that out! But every kid knew! Kids nowadays are soft.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    I remember when Zelda came out for NES. Sparkling gold colored cartridge. So new, crazy looking!

Hey, remember this commercial?

YouTube - Zelda Commercial

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

And how the heck did every kid in America know with the NES and SNES to take the cartridge out and blow in it and put it right back in to make it work? We didn't have internet back then to figure that out! But every kid knew! Kids nowadays are soft.
    It happened through word-of-mouth, that's how. People figure out that kind of stuff now easier though because the internet has become like the new word-of-mouth. I also speculate that's how people figured out how to calibrate the NES light gun by pointing it directly into a lightbulb and pressing the trigger a few times, although I don't know how well that worked.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Hey, remember this commercial?

YouTube - Zelda Commercial
    LOL! haha

I vaguely remember some commercial with Ganon shown for like a milisecond...I think??? and Nintendo Power commercials, that Nintendo magazine. lol

I actually sent in my high score on Gradius to Nintendo Power Magazine. up up down down left right left right A+B.

*edit* man looking at these commercials on Youtube, i don't remember ANY of these NES commercials for some reason! And I don't remember seeing ANYONE with that NES robot. actually it doesn't surprise me i don't remember, when I saw Transformers the Movie (the 80's one) a few years ago again, it was like i was watching it all over again... weird.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    It happened through word-of-mouth, that's how. People figure out that kind of stuff now easier though because the internet has become like the new word-of-mouth. I also speculate that's how people figured out how to calibrate the NES light gun by pointing it directly into a lightbulb and pressing the trigger a few times, although I don't know how well that worked.
    Dood, its like... it doesn't work, and you want it to work, so u sit there and you blow inside the nintendo bc its hot, you blow inside the cartridge bc its hot or dusty, and if not, you turn it on and off, or go let it cool down for 5 minutes, but no matter what, you must make it work! haha and viola, blowing into the cartridge seems to work pretty well. who knows why? maybe its the dust? no one ever really knew why that worked... everyone just knew to do it.

you can't believe high scores from duck hunt, ppl can just go up to the screen and shoot the duck 1 inch away. lolz

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    The N64 no doubt set what would become the standard for video games everywhere, and it's prowess is still influential to this day.
    Actually, N64 was a result of Nintendo panicking upon realizing that contracting an SNES CD add-on to Sony would give Sony rights to half of Nintendo's games library. By the time Nintendo backed out of the deal, Sony had already finished drawing up the plans, which eventually turned into the PlayStation, which creamed both N64 and Sega's Dreamcast. Now PlayStation, Nintendo, and new-challenger Microsoft all run on optical discs, and even the portables have finally weaned off cartridges.

So in a way, I guess you're right.

On topic, I'll have to give props to the good ol' PC. Anybody play Raptor: Call of the Shadows?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Did anyone here have a Sega Saturn? My buddy had one, but he had different tastes in games than I did. From what I understand, there were quite a few beautiful sprite-based games on that one.

I loves me some sprites.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    Did anyone here have a Sega Saturn? My buddy had one, but he had different tastes in games than I did. From what I understand, there were quite a few beautiful sprite-based games on that one.

I loves me some sprites.
    I had a Dreamcast...

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The first Legend of Zelda is on my short list of best games ever made. It was so different than any game that came before it. The game was about exploration and you saved your progress as you went. There was no score whatsoever. You collected items as you went and most of them were significant gameplay enhancements. These seemed like totally foreign concepts when it was released and Nintendo had to make sure to include hints with the game, because they were afraid people just wouldn't "get it".

I really think the combination of it and Super Mario Bros. killed the arcade. Super Mario Bros. showed you can have the same quality of game at home as at the arcade. Legend of Zelda showed you can have a totally different experience at home that you can't get in an arcade.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENTp

Neo Geo