Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default I personally think...

...that Evan Almighty is better than Bruce Almighty.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    ...that Evan Almighty is better than Bruce Almighty.
    One is a sequel of the other, and a sequel is never better than the original. Why do you think it was better?

The first one went into all sorts of different possible uses and responsibilities of divine power, and the second one is just about a guy building an ark. Who wants that kind of reality? I mean, I could build an ark and cause a flood if I had enough money.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I guess I have a thing for miniatures and massive CGI, which was more prominent in Evan.

And Evan Almighty didn't have Jim Carrey.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    One is a sequel of the other, and a sequel is never better than the original. Why do you think it was better?
    I'm sure you're just waiting for this but Spiderman II, X-Men 2, Batman Begins better than originals. Some people argue Empire Strikes Back as well as Aliens and T2. Godfather II also goes on the list. 28 Weeks Later, Austin Powers second installment was better than the first. Didn't see Evil Dead 2 but it gets praised as exceeding the original. What about The Road Warrior? Good case for that. Toy Story 2 also gets mentioned in this argument. Perhaps Dawn of the Dead exceeding Night of the Dead. Halloween II should also be included on the list.

It's not a foregone conclusion that the sequel will suck but I'd agree most are horrendous. Evan Almighty wasn't as good as the first. No way.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yes- evil dead 2 IS better than the origional- and evil dead 3 is the best of the three! some sequels are definitly better!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Sequels better than their predecessors:
    • Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    • Aliens
    • Resident Evil: Apocalypse (still dreadful, but marginally better than the first)
    • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (still the best of the franchise)
    • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek: First Contact
    • Toy Story 2
    • Batman Forever (the best of the Burton/Schumacher films)
    • Scary Movie 3
    • The Mummy Returns
    • and that's just a few...

I must protest, though, that Terminator 2 was in no way better than the original. The same goes for X-Men 2, which was long, boring, and confusing, and the first Austin Powers was the only one of those films that was halfway decent. And Batman Begins was rather unimaginative compared to the other four. (Yes, Batman & Robin was incredibly imaginative precisely because it was so ridiculous.)

MBTI
    INTJ

Sequels better than their predecessors:
    • Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    • Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    • Aliens
    • Resident Evil: Apocalypse (still dreadful, but marginally better than the first)
    • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (still the best of the franchise)
    • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek: First Contact
    • Toy Story 2
    • Batman Forever (the best of the Burton/Schumacher films)
    • Scary Movie 3
    • The Mummy Returns
    • and that's just a few...

I must protest, though, that Terminator 2 was in no way better than the original. The same goes for X-Men 2, which was long, boring, and confusing, and the first Austin Powers was the only one of those films that was halfway decent. And Batman Begins was rather unimaginative compared to the other four. (Yes, Batman & Robin was incredibly imaginative precisely because it was so ridiculous.)

Though Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets has made more money than the other Potter films, I don't think it's the best of the series. I think Azkaban, Goblet, and Phoenix are all better than the first two movies.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. M View Post
    Though Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets has made more money than the other Potter films, I don't think it's the best of the series. I think Azkaban, Goblet, and Phoenix are all better than the first two movies.
    Azkaban was hackneyed. People only liked it because the director was both non-American and non-British. Goblet was okay -- much more in vein of the first two. Order was played like a two-hour montage.

MBTI
    INTJ

Azkaban was hackneyed. People only liked it because the director was both non-American and non-British. Goblet was okay -- much more in vein of the first two. Order was played like a two-hour montage.
    Actually, I liked Azkaban because it was (at the time) my favorite book of the series. Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets both suffered from feeling overlong, and the child actors were a bit too green. By the time of the third movie, they seemed to have grown into their characters. That, combined with the pace of the movies speeding up and better story telling in general in the books, caused the later movies to be better than the earlier ones (in my humble opinion, of course )

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Azkaban was my favorite book, also. That's how the movie became disappointing. I also hated the way everything became modernized after Chris Columbus's films. The first two films had a very conservative '40s-ish style that was absent from the rest of the series.