I'm having a pretty consuming creative binge at the moment, and thought I'd stop in and ask how many of you creative peeps can relate to this? How much of this rings true to you?:
1. When you get REALLY inspired, it is better than drugs and you will spend a long period of time only half listening to people because all you are doing is sitting there indulging in the imaginings inside your head.
2. When you're on a creative binge; food, water, chores, certain hygiene rituals, loved ones, etc. cease to be 'necessity' and get shoved under the heading of 'distractions that annoy me'
3. People around you think you've gone batshit crazy, start worrying incessantly about your mental state, and won't fucking listen when you say "I'm so friggin' happy right now".
4. As soon as you say "I'm taking some time just to create", every Tom, Dick, and Harry pops out of the woodwork at the same time to say "Hey! You want to do something?" and will not accept "working on my creative' project as a valid excuse to turn them down. You get the feeling they are just there to sabotage your dream.
5. You're so passionately in love with, and so fiercely loyal to, what you are creating that you will bite the ass of anyone who dares criticize it. There is a very important grace period that needs to pass before you're open to the opinions of others. During that grace period, your creation is "just fucking beautiful and awesome".
6. You feel pain as well as joy when creating, and hate the motherfuckers who scoff at the notion that it's like giving birth in a way. They don't understand how much of yourself you're actually milking to then pour into your work. You surround yourself with other creative people who understand just to spare yourself the trifle natterings of the 'non-creative folk'.
7. One minute you are so high on the creative process that you're almost delirious, then when it wanes off and freezes up, you get pissy and depressed. One minute you want to get yourself a T-shirt that reads "I'm such a fucking genius", then the next you want a T-shirt that reads "I'm doomed to mediocrity, fuck my life".
8. Whether or not you believe in the supernatural/religion/God(s), you start getting attached to certain 'power objects' or talismans to be with you during the creative process. This could be a hat you HAVE to wear, a charm you wear around your neck, a 'magic pen', a coffee mug, or pretty much anything. You keep these objects near you, and freak the fuck out if they somehow get lost or sullied in any way.
9. You start sleeping only when you have to and begin to get really familiar with the phrases "What day is it?" and "Wait, what month is it?" and "Time is an abstract concept, I don't need that shit".
10. When finished with a project, you cry like a little girl all by yourself and take awhile to cradle it to your bosom in private before revealing it to the world.