User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Lightbulb Pitchfork: The Top 20 Songs of the Decade

At the beginning of this past week, Pitchfork began unveiling their top 500 songs of the past decade. And while I must say I was extremely excited to see numbers 500 - 21, the last 20 we're truly what I was waiting for.

I'm a Pitchfork geek; a true indie kid at heart, I'll admit it. I spent the entire morning (Pitchfork is located in Chicago and my time zone is 9 hours ahead) refreshing Pitchfork's homepage over and over and over again, until that little link that said "20 - 1" would flash up in a spectacular array of white HTML...

...Okay, maybe not that spectacular, but for me it was. Anyway, finally at around 9:00 this morning, my time, the link finally lit up and I was possibly the first person to click it... And alas, here is the list.

I have to say, I was a little surprised with their choice of the number one song. But, hey, I guess they were just trying to show people that Pitchfork actually does have a pretty diverse catalogue of music. I mean, the list itself is quite diverse in its selection of songs, considering the fact that it's Pitchfork and they're quite guilty of indie debauchery sometimes.

Anyways, I have to say I enjoyed the lists and although they could've been a little better with their selection, I would say it's quite accurate. Now I don't want this thread to become another "let's invade this and rip the opening post into shreds by debating it until its basically moot" thread. If you've just come here to do that, then feel free to gtfo (or if you are a female unit, then feel free to do this, instead. )

Well, this has been fun. I just wanted to notify ya'll of this, and hope we can have some PEACEFUL discussion about the list. Yeah? Yeah.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post

At the beginning of this past week, Pitchfork began unveiling their top 500 songs of the past decade. And while I must say I was extremely excited to see numbers 500 - 21, the last 20 we're truly what I was waiting for.

I'm a Pitchfork geek; a true indie kid at heart, I'll admit it. I spent the entire morning (Pitchfork is located in Chicago and my time zone is 9 hours ahead) refreshing Pitchfork's homepage over and over and over again, until that little link that said "20 - 1" would flash up in a spectacular array of white HTML...

...Okay, maybe not that spectacular, but for me it was. Anyway, finally at around 9:00 this morning, my time, the link finally lit up and I was possibly the first person to click it... And alas, here is the list.

I have to say, I was a little surprised with their choice of the number one song. But, hey, I guess they were just trying to show people that Pitchfork actually does have a pretty diverse catalogue of music. I mean, the list itself is quite diverse in its selection of songs, considering the fact that it's Pitchfork and they're quite guilty of indie debauchery sometimes.

Anyways, I have to say I enjoyed the lists and although they could've been a little better with their selection, I would say it's quite accurate. Now I don't want this thread to become another "let's invade this and rip the opening post into shreds by debating it until its basically moot" thread. If you've just come here to do that, then feel free to gtfo (or if you are a female unit, then feel free to do this, instead. )

Well, this has been fun. I just wanted to notify ya'll of this, and hope we can have some PEACEFUL discussion about the list. Yeah? Yeah.

I wasn't surprised. That was their #1 song of the first half of the decade, wasn't it? They love oddball hip-hop (as do I). "B.O.B." would certainly make my Top 20.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

"Paper Planes" was in Slumdog Millionaire? I'll have to see that movie again..
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    infj

Not nearly as bad of a list as I was anticipating. Pitchfork can really rub me the wrong way most of the time, but it was nice to see them paying homage to some of the most popular songs of the decade (which are often popular for good reason).

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Wow I must be out of touch. I've maybe heard of 3 of those stongs, and they were all the hip hop ones which I don't really like. Although I recognized Animal Collective because my friends went to see them last week in NY.

Phantonym

This is fantastic! This proves it, I am certainly no melomaniac. I've only heard three songs from the top ten

MBTI
    ESFJ

It was nice to see The Walkmen make the Top 20. That song is fantastic, and they played my house in college, right as their first album was about to drop. Cool guys.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am surprised that so many people say they have only heard three songs or so in the Top 10. OutKast, M.I.A., Missy Elliott, Radiohead, Beyonce and Jay-Z? They aren't exactly obscure.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

The Missy Elliott song is the only one in the top 10 I haven't heard of.

Honestly, who listens to Missy Elliott?
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    Honestly, who listens to Missy Elliott?
    People who like to get their freak on