• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pitchfork: The Top 20 Songs of the Decade

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
p2k_tracks_header.jpg

At the beginning of this past week, Pitchfork began unveiling their top 500 songs of the past decade. And while I must say I was extremely excited to see numbers 500 - 21, the last 20 we're truly what I was waiting for.

I'm a Pitchfork geek; a true indie kid at heart, I'll admit it. I spent the entire morning (Pitchfork is located in Chicago and my time zone is 9 hours ahead) refreshing Pitchfork's homepage over and over and over again, until that little link that said "20 - 1" would flash up in a spectacular array of white HTML...

...Okay, maybe not that spectacular, but for me it was. Anyway, finally at around 9:00 this morning, my time, the link finally lit up and I was possibly the first person to click it... And alas, here is the list.

I have to say, I was a little surprised with their choice of the number one song. But, hey, I guess they were just trying to show people that Pitchfork actually does have a pretty diverse catalogue of music. I mean, the list itself is quite diverse in its selection of songs, considering the fact that it's Pitchfork and they're quite guilty of indie debauchery sometimes.

Anyways, I have to say I enjoyed the lists and although they could've been a little better with their selection, I would say it's quite accurate. Now I don't want this thread to become another "let's invade this and rip the opening post into shreds by debating it until its basically moot" thread. If you've just come here to do that, then feel free to gtfo (or if you are a female unit, then feel free to do this, instead. ;))

Well, this has been fun. I just wanted to notify ya'll of this, and hope we can have some PEACEFUL discussion about the list. Yeah? Yeah.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
p2k_tracks_header.jpg

At the beginning of this past week, Pitchfork began unveiling their top 500 songs of the past decade. And while I must say I was extremely excited to see numbers 500 - 21, the last 20 we're truly what I was waiting for.

I'm a Pitchfork geek; a true indie kid at heart, I'll admit it. I spent the entire morning (Pitchfork is located in Chicago and my time zone is 9 hours ahead) refreshing Pitchfork's homepage over and over and over again, until that little link that said "20 - 1" would flash up in a spectacular array of white HTML...

...Okay, maybe not that spectacular, but for me it was. Anyway, finally at around 9:00 this morning, my time, the link finally lit up and I was possibly the first person to click it... And alas, here is the list.

I have to say, I was a little surprised with their choice of the number one song. But, hey, I guess they were just trying to show people that Pitchfork actually does have a pretty diverse catalogue of music. I mean, the list itself is quite diverse in its selection of songs, considering the fact that it's Pitchfork and they're quite guilty of indie debauchery sometimes.

Anyways, I have to say I enjoyed the lists and although they could've been a little better with their selection, I would say it's quite accurate. Now I don't want this thread to become another "let's invade this and rip the opening post into shreds by debating it until its basically moot" thread. If you've just come here to do that, then feel free to gtfo (or if you are a female unit, then feel free to do this, instead. ;))

Well, this has been fun. I just wanted to notify ya'll of this, and hope we can have some PEACEFUL discussion about the list. Yeah? Yeah.

I wasn't surprised. That was their #1 song of the first half of the decade, wasn't it? They love oddball hip-hop (as do I). "B.O.B." would certainly make my Top 20.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
"Paper Planes" was in Slumdog Millionaire? I'll have to see that movie again..

shimsham

MBTI Type
infj
Not nearly as bad of a list as I was anticipating. Pitchfork can really rub me the wrong way most of the time, but it was nice to see them paying homage to some of the most popular songs of the decade (which are often popular for good reason).

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Wow I must be out of touch. I've maybe heard of 3 of those stongs, and they were all the hip hop ones which I don't really like. Although I recognized Animal Collective because my friends went to see them last week in NY.

P

Phantonym

This is fantastic! :holy: This proves it, I am certainly no melomaniac. I've only heard three songs from the top ten :rofl1:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
It was nice to see The Walkmen make the Top 20. That song is fantastic, and they played my house in college, right as their first album was about to drop. Cool guys.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am surprised that so many people say they have only heard three songs or so in the Top 10. OutKast, M.I.A., Missy Elliott, Radiohead, Beyonce and Jay-Z? They aren't exactly obscure.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
The Missy Elliott song is the only one in the top 10 I haven't heard of.

Honestly, who listens to Missy Elliott?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Missy Elliott song is the only one in the top 10 I haven't heard of.

Of all those songs, you've never heard "Get Ur Freak On?" :thelook:

Glad to see Gnarls Barkley on there; "Crazy" was definitely a standout. And The Rapture only because "Don Gon Do It" is simply amazing.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
In my opinion, only about 10% of music from the last decade is worth listening to.

Hip/hop, rap, dance, pop, fruity emo love-music, I'm on a fucking boat music, etc etc, is all a bunch of shit that I don't waste my time with.

but that's just my opinion! so don't let it get you all worked up you vulnerable fucks.

Two thumbs up for Daft Punk!

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
In my opinion, only about 10% of music from the last decade is worth listening to.

Hip/hop, rap, dance, pop, fruity emo love-music, I'm on a fucking boat music, etc etc, is all a bunch of shit that I don't waste my time with.

but that's just my opinion! so don't let it get you all worked up you vulnerable fucks.

Two thumbs up for Daft Punk!

Psh, nostalgist.

+ I think the 00's have a bad rep. Think about it, in the early-1970's, no one would have anticipated that 30 years from then, Led Zeppelin would be known as arguably the heaviest rock band of all time. History has taught as that in contemporary times, a lot of people don't value the modern amenities (such as music and film and art/entertainment in general) as much as they do with things that have had the time to swish around in our brains for the past 30 years and get so goddamn lovable.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I would have gone with "Rebellion (Lies)" from The Arcade Fire and "Gossip Folks" from Missy.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
merc's hastily-thrown-together Top 10:

10. "Relative Ways" - . . . And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
9. "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)" - Jay-Z
8. "You Can Have It All" - Yo La Tengo
7. "All My Friends" - LCD Soundsystem
6. "Without Me" - Eminem
5. "Do You Realize???" - Flaming Lips
4. "There Goes the Fear" - Doves
3. "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley
2. "Paper Planes" - M.I.A.
1. "B.O.B." - OutKast

I want to make a Top 20 now.

Last edited:

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
merc's hastily-thrown-together Top 10:

10. "Relative Ways" - . . . And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
9. "Izzo" - Jay-Z
8. "You Can Have It All" - Yo La Tengo
7. "All My Friends" - LCD Soundsystem
6. "Without Me" - Eminem
5. "Do You Realize???" - Flaming Lips
4. "There Goes the Fear" - Doves
3. "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley
2. "Paper Planes" - M.I.A.
1. "B.O.B." - OutKast

I want to make a Top 20 now.
I was wondering why "Izzo" wasn't on there...pretty sure it was released in the '00s.

You should make a Top 20. I want to see what you come up with.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
^That sounds somewhat right.

Here are some more to fill out a Top 100:

"NYC Cops" - The Strokes
"Up the Bracket" - The Libertines
"Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes
"What You Know" - T.I.
"You Are My Face - Wilco
"So Paranoid" - The Warlocks
"The Greatest" - Cat Power
"Oxford Comma" - Vampire Weekend
"Prangin' Out" - The Streets
"Tie Me Down" - Shack
"Can't Get You Out of My Head" - Kyle Minogue
"Afternoon Speaker" - The Sea and Cake
"Remind Me" - Royksopp
"Water" - The Roots
"Portions for Foxes" - Rilo Kiley
"Hard to Beat" - Hard-Fi
"Kids" - MGMT
"Move Your Feet" - Junior Senior
"Good Dancers" - The Sleepy Jackson
"Call on Me" - Eric Prydz
"Tension Head" - Queens of the Stone Age
"One More Time" - Daft Punk
"Back in the Mud" - Bubba Sparxxx (no, really; listen to it)
"Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse" - Of Montreal
"Welcome to the Black Parade" - My Chemical Romance
"Idioteque" - Radiohead
"The First of the Gang to Die" - Morrissey
"We've Got Everything" - Modest Mouse
"Since I Left You" - Avalanches
"The Walk" - The Aislers Set
"If Only" - Hanson (again, for real)
"Song for Shelter" - Fatboy Slim
"Gossip Folks" - Missy Elliott
"Surfing on a Rocket" - Air
"Rebellion (Lies)" - The Arcade Fire
"Disillusion" - Badly Drawn Boy
"Fight Test" - Flaming Lips
"Secret for a Song" - Mercury Rev
"1, 2, 3, 4" - Feist
"Round Eye Blues" - Marah
"Whatever Happened to My Rock N' Roll" - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
"Are You Down" - Lucinda Williams
"21 Questions" - 50 Cent
"Stronger" - Kanye West
"You Are the Light" - Jens Lekman
"Ready for the Floor" - Hot Chip
"Don't Panic" - Coldplay
"Pull Shapes" - The Pipettes
"Jerk It Out" - Caesars
"Stan" - Eminem
"Anthem for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl" - Broken Social Scene
"Juxtaposed With U" - Super Furry Animals
"Danger! High Voltage" - Electric Six (would have been the Single of 2003 if not for. . .)
"Hey Ya!" - OutKast
"We Want Fun" - Andrew W.K.
"Rehab" - Amy Winehouse
"Maps" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
"Feel Good Inc." - Gorillaz
"Peacebone" - Animal Collective
"When the Last Time" - Clipse
"Was It a Crime?" - The French Kicks
"Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand
"Happy Birthday" - Clem Snide
"Fresh Feeling" - eels
"Astounded" - Bran Van 3000
"PDA" - Interpol
"What We Did Wrong" - Duels
"The Rat" - The Walkmen
"Stillness Is the Move" - Dirty Projectors
"All You Need Is Hate" - The Delgados
"Since U Been Gone" - Kelly Clarkson
"New World" - Damon and Naomi
"Feel the Love" - Cut Copy
"7 Days" - Craig David
"The Light" - Common
"99 Problems" - Jay-Z
"Crazy in Love" - Beyonce ft. Jay-Z
"Umbrella" - Rihanna
"Lean Back (Notorious B.I.G. Remix)" - Fat Joe ft. Notorious B.I.G.

There are many more.