User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Give me your music!

I'm looking for some new bands to listen to. Mostly, I'm looking for bands in the various melodic metal genres, bands similar to Black Label Society, and goth rock if it impresses me enough.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention bands that are about the warrior culture, like Amon Amarth and Manowar.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Unless you like punk or glam rock I wouldn't be of any help!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

I like certain songs of Nightwish

MBTI
    INTJ

I am kind of a huge prog fan, so I am kind of going to use this opportunity to recommend you some of the best progressive metal stuff out there.

Melodic, try Riverside and the album Second Life Syndrome. Another very melodic band is Pain of Salvation, my favourite album by them are Remedy Lane, but you could also try Perfect Element Part I. Or you could try Ayreon and the album The Human Equation, I guess it also has a gothic quality to it.

All these albums are major modern classics, and deep, and will hopefully give you something to contemplate about.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I'm looking for some new bands to listen to. Mostly, I'm looking for bands in the various melodic metal genres, bands similar to Black Label Society, and goth rock if it impresses me enough.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention bands that are about the warrior culture, like Amon Amarth and Manowar.
    Well, my ears are not so good at telling if somethgin is meleodic or not, but here are some guesses to try. Most of these woudl be called Symphonic or Gothic Metal.

Epica
    Krypteria
    Lunatica
    Seraphim
    Therion
    Visions of Atlantis

Warrior / Combat themed etc (folk metal, viking metal, fantasy metal)
    Battlelore - Tolkien inspired metal, but they have some good warrior/combat themed songs
    Cruachan - Not combat oriented but, good historical celtic flavor.
    Ensiferum
    Finntroll
    Leaves' Eyes - Not combat oriented, but good historical viking flavor.
    Turisas
    Tyr

MBTI
    ????

Bullet for My Valentine is pretty good. I like their song, "hit the floor" a lot.

MBTI
    INTJ

So, I'll try to stick to stuff that bares some resemblance to BLS (metal with a healthy dose of manlyness and ample groove)

Heed (formed by the former singer of Lost Horizon, but they're not cheezy like Lost Horizon)

Borknagar, while not really black metal at all, they lean slightly in that direction, maybe enough that you wouldnt like it. YouTube - Borknagar - Colossus EDIT: if you do like this stuff, Thyrfing is also a good pick YouTube - Thyrfing - The Voyager

Corrosion of Conformity, ok, so youve probably already heard of them, but on the off chance you havent, they are AWESOME, Pepper Keenan, their singer, is friends with Zakk Wylde YouTube - Corrosion Of Conformity-Clean My Wounds

Some of Soilworks newer stuff might have a groovyness to it you might find exciting (they're older stuff is heavier, but not particularly groovy) YouTube - Soilwork | As We Speak

and finally King's X, one of my favourite bands, and one of the most underrated. YouTube - King's X Fade AND YouTube - King's X - ALONE

MBTI
    ISTx

Have you listened to Dark Tranquillity or Darkest Hour? I'm not a huge metal head. I'm more into hardcore punk but I really enjoy those bands. Check out All Out War too. Real thrasy, heavy and just down right viciously intense.

Dark Tranquillity:
    MySpace.com - Dark Tranquillity - Gothenburg - Metal / Death Metal - www.myspace.com/dtofficial

Darkest Hour:
    MySpace.com - Darkest Hour - Washington D.C. , Richmond , Virginia, Washington DC - Metal / Thrash / Punk - www.myspace.com/darkesthour

All Out War:
    MySpace.com - All Out War - Newburgh, New York - Hardcore / Metal - www.myspace.com/alloutwarny

Hey Beat, are you a Blacklisted fan? Band is so fricking good... they even got a blog up detailing some of their history. I can find the link for you if you're interested and haven't already seen it.