• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

PS3 Slim + Price Drop

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
No, I haven't played it. Have you played it, and is it worth checking out?

No i have not played it, which is why I was hoping perhaps you had. I have not played valkyria chronicles either. As I remember, those are the only 2 RPGs for the PS3 so far. Do you like sandbox games? I didn't care for oblivion, but fallout 3 has been ok/good. Looking into trying/getting: prototype, infamous, and red faction guerilla. Have you played any of those, and if so what were your impressions? I mostly have FPS, and a few 2 person fighter [SF 4] games. I'm really enjoying Endwar, which is a strategy game and am thinking about some future strategy games. Someone gave me MGS 4 but I haven't played it yet. Mu HDD is pretty full so I'll upgrade then s tart some new games. I', still working on my backlog of games. I also really enjoy several PS2 games. [My PS3 is backwards compatible, and I jumped from SNES to PS3]

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Have you tried Eternal Sonata? If so what did you think?

No, I haven't played it. Have you played it, and is it worth checking out?

I'd strongly recommend it. Very good gameplay, and a fun story.

Been thinking about getting the slim. If anything it's a BluRay player, and I'd be able to play my friends in some more games because they mostly have PS3s. Despite me telling them not to get them :steam:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
No i have not played it, which is why I was hoping perhaps you had. I have not played valkyria chronicles either. As I remember, those are the only 2 RPGs for the PS3 so far. Do you like sandbox games? I didn't care for oblivion, but fallout 3 has been ok/good. Looking into trying/getting: prototype, infamous, and red faction guerilla. Have you played any of those, and if so what were your impressions? I mostly have FPS, and a few 2 person fighter [SF 4] games. I'm really enjoying Endwar, which is a strategy game and am thinking about some future strategy games. Someone gave me MGS 4 but I haven't played it yet. Mu HDD is pretty full so I'll upgrade then s tart some new games. I', still working on my backlog of games. I also really enjoy several PS2 games. [My PS3 is backwards compatible, and I jumped from SNES to PS3]

I haven't played Oblivion or Fallout 3, mostly because I thought Morrowind kinda sucked. If you didn't like Oblivion but liked Fallout 3, then I'll probably give Fallout 3 a chance. I tried Infamous as a rental. It's really fun. I'll probably buy in a couple years once the price drops. I also thought MGS4 was fun and I don't normally like shooting games. Rockband, Bioshock, and Civilization Revolution are three other games that I really enjoy on the PS3. (Civ Revolution is a simplified version of the Civilizatin series which I like because you can finish a game in about two hours. If you prefer a more complex version than Civ 4 on the PC would be better.)

Now let me get onto the more important topic: If you've really skipped from the SNES to PS3 then there a ton of really great games out there to play, especially on the PS2. I'm not exagerating when I say the PS2 has the best library of games of any system on the market right now. It's just that most people have played the games they wanted on the PS2 and now want to move onto something else. Here are a few of my favorites from the PS2, but there are plenty more beyond this:

Final Fantasy X and XII
Kingdom Hearts I and II
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus
Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari
(There's a compilation of Katamari games with some extra levels coming out on the PS3 next month called Katamari Forever, so it might be better to just get that.)

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
If you didn't like Oblivion but liked Fallout 3, then I'll probably give Fallout 3 a chance. I tried Infamous as a rental. It's really fun. I'll probably buy in a couple years once the price drops.

Now let me get onto the more important topic: If you've really skipped from the SNES to PS3 then there a ton of really great games out there to play, especially on the PS2. I'm not exagerating when I say the PS2 has the best library of games of any system on the market right now. It's just that most people have played the games they wanted on the PS2 and now want to move onto something else. Here are a few of my favorites from the PS2, but there are plenty more beyond this:

Final Fantasy X and XII
Kingdom Hearts I and II
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus
Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari
(There's a compilation of Katamari games with some extra levels coming out on the PS3 next month called Katamari Forever, so it might be better to just get that.)

I told people that I didn't like oblivion and they told me "don't worry, if you like RPG's you'll probably like fallout 3"

A number of the first new games I bought were PS2's. I own but have not finished FFX, own but have not started FF x-2, and have thought about FF12. Kingdom hearts is well known RPG, but disney-fied or something??? I have the dragon warrior whatever ps2 game.

What are these katamari games?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've played and beat KH1 and 2 and I really enjoyed them. I highly recommend them. Great storyline, awesome soundtrack, and there's just something about Donald Duck kicking ass and Goofy taking names that rocks. Fighting along side Jack Skellington? Epic awesome. It's a little kiddish on a couple parts in 1, but 2 definitely gets more grown and epic. I enjoy the series.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Man, I am SEVERELY underwhelmed by the JRPG's this gen. A better question would be- What JRPG's?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I told people that I didn't like oblivion and they told me "don't worry, if you like RPG's you'll probably like fallout 3"
That is good to know. :)

A number of the first new games I bought were PS2's. I own but have not finished FFX, own but have not started FF x-2, and have thought about FF12. Kingdom hearts is well known RPG, but disney-fied or something??? I have the dragon warrior whatever ps2 game.

What are these katamari games?

FFX is definitely worth finishing. FFX-2 is a fun game, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as FFX. (It's still a fun game though. :)) FF12 is a really good game too. I'd say it's story is not as good as FFX, but the gameplay is better.

Kingdom Hearts is an action RPG that has a similar feel and quality to a Final Fantasy title. The setting for the game takes place in a variety of Disney worlds (Tarzan, Alice in Wonderland, Hercules, etc...). Unless you really loathe Disney to the core I wouldn't see this as a negative at all. The game is extremely fun and is really made for normal gamers even though it might not look that way at first. It also has an all-star cast of voice actors (Haley Joel Osment, Hayden Panettiere, James Woods, etc...).

The Katamari games involve you rolling a ball around and smaller things stick to the ball. The ball gradually grows in size until you can start picking up bigger and bigger things. The object is usually to make the ball as big as possible within a certain time frame. In early stages you pick up things like candy, erasers, and playing cards. In later stages you pick up things like people, cars and buildings. I can't describe to you just how much pure fun this game is. From a pure gameplay perspective I'm not sure if there is a game out there that is more fun than this.

Also if you haven't tried Shadow of the Colossus I would say look into that too. To me the game feels like you stepped into the world via a painting at a museum. (Ico is like this too.) The object is too defeat 16 different giants by climbing on their backs and stabbing different weak spots. The first giant is about 30 feet high. That would be considered a baby compared to the later ones. This is my wife's favorite game, and I can't say I blame her. I don't think another game has affected me on an emotional level the way this on has.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot to mention Dragon Quest VIII. That is also a great RPG. You can't go wrong playing that one either. :)

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
Shadow of Colossus is so awesome and beautiful and NF perfection that if I were in charge at the heavenly gate- if a person loved that game they would automatically get into heaven,lol.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
A number of the first new games I bought were PS2's. I own but have not finished FFX, own but have not started FF x-2, and have thought about FF12. Kingdom hearts is well known RPG, but disney-fied or something???

I had the same thoughts when Kingdom hearts first came out but it really is as good as the others say. Give it a try! They are exceptionally well made games.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have to disagree about Shadow of the Colossus. I thought the high concept stuff would be right up my alley. However, after beating the first 4 colossi, for me it's nothing more than a tech demo. You beat each boss the same way. There is very, very little story. I'm not sure I'm going to play any more of it even, I just don't see the point.

Anyway, back on topic. I think the PS3 price drop is too little, too late. If the 360 didn't have so many hardware failures (the reason I'm not buying one) then it would have trounced the PS3 beyond recovery at this point. Still, this is a move Sony had to take to stay alive this gen so good to see they're applying some common sense.

All I have this generation is a Wii actually. (Which I'm not very enamoured of...) I look at PS3/360 games, and 80% of them are out for PC. I already have a decent PC that will play those titles at much higher settings than the 360 or PS3 can technically achieve. The PC versions of the same game which again, are technically superior, are usually $10-$20 cheaper than their console version.

So, I really want to want a PS3, but I just don't. I have enough PS2 and PSP games to keep me busy for years...

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I got mine yesterday. Very excited and impressed so far. I bought Killzone 2 and MGS4 with it, however nothing else exclusive really jumped out at me immediately, so I'll wait a bit to get something else.

When it comes down to it, for $300 bucks it's a WiFi ready Blu Ray player and streaming media hub, and it also plays great games. I like the PSOne games available [I've never played FF VII! I know, shoot me] too. However, I still think I'll get most Multiplats for 360, except for Modern Warfare 2 so I can play with my friend, partially because I just HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE the PS3 controller so much. I think I'll eventually try to make this if I have as much trouble with MW2 as I am with KZ2. I swear that controller is made for tiny asian hands, and they forgot about us big manly Amerikans :cheese:

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Isn't the ps3 controller the same as the ps2 controller? ...which was the same as the analog ps1 controller?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Isn't the ps3 controller the same as the ps2 controller? ...which was the same as the analog ps1 controller?

Yes, which is funny because the proliferation of shooters could arguably be said to have started with Halo for the Xbox, yet Sony refused to make any kind of general enhancement to their controller for 3 solid generations of tech.

They have a controller that is ill-suited to one of the more dominant game genres in the market. Only Sony.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1

Well with the single exception that the ps3 controller has motion control similar to the Wii. Thats a funny story, Sony show cased the ps3 several months before its release and gave it a giant press scoop. 5 weeks later Nintendo show cased their new system the Wii (<3) with its ground breaking motion control system. Three months later Sony released a fantastic new idea for their system, the introduction of motion control into the ps3 controllers.... Brilliant!

MBTI Type
INxJ
I swear that controller is made for tiny asian hands, and they forgot about us big manly Amerikans :cheese:

lol I can barely use the xbox controller, because it's so damn big for my small hands.

My ps3 slim doesn't arrive for another 5 days. Poop.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
lol I can barely use the xbox controller, because it's so damn big for my small hands.

My ps3 slim doesn't arrive for another 5 days. Poop.

Haha, well The Duke was indeed the worst and largest montrosity of a controller I had every held.

820253-original_controller_super.jpg

An ugly monster. However, the 360 controller I think is nearly perfect, it just needs to steal the PS3 Dpad and there's nothing I'd change.

Yeah as soon as I heard they were beeing released a bit early I went to the local gamestop and preordered the last one, on monday. Having a blast so far.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Haha, well The Duke was indeed the worst and largest montrosity of a controller I had every held.

An ugly monster. However, the 360 controller I think is nearly perfect, it just needs to steal the PS3 Dpad and there's nothing I'd change.

Yeah as soon as I heard they were beeing released a bit early I went to the local gamestop and preordered the last one, on monday. Having a blast so far.

Good lord. For some reason, I'm reminded of joke size sexual accoutrement for women.

I didn't order mine until 11pm on the last pre-order day. Are there any noticeable differences between the slim and the older version aside from the actual size?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Good lord. For some reason, I'm reminded of joke size sexual accoutrement for women.

I didn't order mine until 11pm on the last pre-order day. Are there any noticeable differences between the slim and the older version aside from the actual size?

Well the finish is actually a more textured black, it isn't like the iPod gloss so you won't smudge it up. I think it sacrifices the media card readers and 2 USB ports as well, but you get a 120 gb hard drive so that's awesome [plus, you can just stream media from your PC or Laptop so the card reader isn't terrible important]. Also, don't forget to get an HDMI cable if you don't already have one, I don't know if the other version came with one or not but the Slim just comes with the composite red, yellow, and white cables. One of the better things about it from a hardware standpoint is how much more energy efficient it is: I read on Kotaku that it draws something like 50% less power when playing a game or watching a movie and idles/standby at 70% less power.

I'm not really sure if there's anything else, this is my first PS3.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I heard about this, the price drop is good, but the "slim" doesn't look all that slimmer, especially considering the regular PS3 is bulky as hell. I'm fine with my PS3 that I got for $300.