User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I have to disagree about Shadow of the Colossus. I thought the high concept stuff would be right up my alley. However, after beating the first 4 colossi, for me it's nothing more than a tech demo. You beat each boss the same way. There is very, very little story. I'm not sure I'm going to play any more of it even, I just don't see the point.

Anyway, back on topic. I think the PS3 price drop is too little, too late. If the 360 didn't have so many hardware failures (the reason I'm not buying one) then it would have trounced the PS3 beyond recovery at this point. Still, this is a move Sony had to take to stay alive this gen so good to see they're applying some common sense.

All I have this generation is a Wii actually. (Which I'm not very enamoured of...) I look at PS3/360 games, and 80% of them are out for PC. I already have a decent PC that will play those titles at much higher settings than the 360 or PS3 can technically achieve. The PC versions of the same game which again, are technically superior, are usually $10-$20 cheaper than their console version.

So, I really want to want a PS3, but I just don't. I have enough PS2 and PSP games to keep me busy for years...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I got mine yesterday. Very excited and impressed so far. I bought Killzone 2 and MGS4 with it, however nothing else exclusive really jumped out at me immediately, so I'll wait a bit to get something else.

When it comes down to it, for $300 bucks it's a WiFi ready Blu Ray player and streaming media hub, and it also plays great games. I like the PSOne games available [I've never played FF VII! I know, shoot me] too. However, I still think I'll get most Multiplats for 360, except for Modern Warfare 2 so I can play with my friend, partially because I just HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE the PS3 controller so much. I think I'll eventually try to make this if I have as much trouble with MW2 as I am with KZ2. I swear that controller is made for tiny asian hands, and they forgot about us big manly Amerikans

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Isn't the ps3 controller the same as the ps2 controller? ...which was the same as the analog ps1 controller?
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Isn't the ps3 controller the same as the ps2 controller? ...which was the same as the analog ps1 controller?
    Yes, which is funny because the proliferation of shooters could arguably be said to have started with Halo for the Xbox, yet Sony refused to make any kind of general enhancement to their controller for 3 solid generations of tech.

They have a controller that is ill-suited to one of the more dominant game genres in the market. Only Sony.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Well with the single exception that the ps3 controller has motion control similar to the Wii. Thats a funny story, Sony show cased the ps3 several months before its release and gave it a giant press scoop. 5 weeks later Nintendo show cased their new system the Wii (<3) with its ground breaking motion control system. Three months later Sony released a fantastic new idea for their system, the introduction of motion control into the ps3 controllers.... Brilliant!
    r0wo1 the destroyer of threads has struck again...

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I swear that controller is made for tiny asian hands, and they forgot about us big manly Amerikans
    lol I can barely use the xbox controller, because it's so damn big for my small hands.

My ps3 slim doesn't arrive for another 5 days. Poop.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    lol I can barely use the xbox controller, because it's so damn big for my small hands.

My ps3 slim doesn't arrive for another 5 days. Poop.
    Haha, well The Duke was indeed the worst and largest montrosity of a controller I had every held.

An ugly monster. However, the 360 controller I think is nearly perfect, it just needs to steal the PS3 Dpad and there's nothing I'd change.

Yeah as soon as I heard they were beeing released a bit early I went to the local gamestop and preordered the last one, on monday. Having a blast so far.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Haha, well The Duke was indeed the worst and largest montrosity of a controller I had every held.

An ugly monster. However, the 360 controller I think is nearly perfect, it just needs to steal the PS3 Dpad and there's nothing I'd change.

Yeah as soon as I heard they were beeing released a bit early I went to the local gamestop and preordered the last one, on monday. Having a blast so far.
    Good lord. For some reason, I'm reminded of joke size sexual accoutrement for women.

I didn't order mine until 11pm on the last pre-order day. Are there any noticeable differences between the slim and the older version aside from the actual size?

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Good lord. For some reason, I'm reminded of joke size sexual accoutrement for women.

I didn't order mine until 11pm on the last pre-order day. Are there any noticeable differences between the slim and the older version aside from the actual size?
    Well the finish is actually a more textured black, it isn't like the iPod gloss so you won't smudge it up. I think it sacrifices the media card readers and 2 USB ports as well, but you get a 120 gb hard drive so that's awesome [plus, you can just stream media from your PC or Laptop so the card reader isn't terrible important]. Also, don't forget to get an HDMI cable if you don't already have one, I don't know if the other version came with one or not but the Slim just comes with the composite red, yellow, and white cables. One of the better things about it from a hardware standpoint is how much more energy efficient it is: I read on Kotaku that it draws something like 50% less power when playing a game or watching a movie and idles/standby at 70% less power.

I'm not really sure if there's anything else, this is my first PS3.

MBTI
    I

I heard about this, the price drop is good, but the "slim" doesn't look all that slimmer, especially considering the regular PS3 is bulky as hell. I'm fine with my PS3 that I got for $300.