• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tim Burton's "Alice In Wonderland" - March 5, 2010

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alice in Wonderland teaser...

See it here.

Tim Burton's latest motion picture has a slight chance of starring Johnny Depp...and a floating head that looks like the Cacodemon in Doom.

And it's a shame that the Hot Topic consumers are tainting Tim Burton's otherwise unique vision.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That looks really really good, Uber.

I loved the cartoon, and having Johnny Depp in this is a plus. It looks interesting and something I'd definitely want to see considering that it is a kid's movie.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Frankly, I'm tired of Burton's love affair with Depp.

That's another thing that's cheapening Burton.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Frankly, I'm tired of Burton's love affair with Depp.

That's another thing that's cheapening Burton.

Amen. He has really relied on Depp for much of his success. I do think Johnny Depp is a great actor, but he's so mainstream that we already know him and it's nothing fresh. We need something new from Burton, some new fresh acting.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Good thing she isn't wearing the full original-version Alice in Wonderland outfit. That's always had a strange and disturbing effect on me.

P

Phantonym

That actually looks good. Alice in Wonderland has never been quite my cup of tea but I'd love to see it. With or without Johnny Depp.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
To be honest, seeing Alice in Wonderland as a kid was a bit of a shocker. It scared me a lot. And then seeing it not too long ago and being completely amazed such a movie could be a kid's movie with how much it uses the effects of acid and all...

But I do look forward to the movie entirely.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Thanks. It's like a mall store?

Why is Depp cheapening Burton in your eyes?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Thanks. It's like a mall store?

Why is Depp cheapening Burton in your eyes?

Hot Topics look like this. If you've ever walked by one you'll notice the gush of cool air coming out.

What Uber was saying is that Hot Topic takes whats new and raw and merchandise it. They accessorize stuff, basically. First it was Jack Skeleton from the Nightmare before Christmas, then Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory with J. Depp, and they've done Twilight and Harry Potter as well.

It's a bit sold out, as all of the Hot Topic groupies get it fast and make it a trend. It will probably be the same way with Alice in Wonderland.
Hot-Topic.jpg

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Oh, I haven't been inside a mall in years. They don't really have them out here.

Anyway, about Depp and Burton - the matter is subjective, obviously. Personally, I loved Depp since 21 Jump Street and I think he can do better than playing the same role over again in Burton's films. But I also like Burton.

Burton has a trademark look and sound - are you suggesting he get rid of Danny Elfman, as well? Or just the look?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I haven't been inside a mall in years. They don't really have them out here.

Anyway, about Depp and Burton - the matter is subjective, obviously. Personally, I loved Depp since 21 Jump Street and I think he can do better than playing the same role over again in Burton's films. But I also like Burton.

Burton has a trademark look and sound - are you suggesting he get rid of Danny Elfman, as well? Or just the look?

I like Burton, as well. Personally, my favorite movie of his was Mars Attacks.

And Danny Elfman is one of my favorite movie composers. I consistently like when Elfman and Burton team up.

I guess the look of his movies is becoming more mainstream as culture evolves and not as unique as it once was.

When I watched Burton's earlier movies, I used to anticipate what he's working on next via movie rumors because he always brought a unique flair into everything he touched. But now, he's just getting predictable.

I still like his movies, but they don't capture my interest like they used to. But yes, I know I'm being subjective.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Well, he should step his game up then, but I don't think Depp is dragging him down... But maybe I don't mind because I will find any excuse to stare at that man? Honestly, I'm a bit tired of Elfman.

Directors, and artists of all sorts, are in a unique position once they start getting mimicked. Do they change the style that they themselves created, do they continue making a mark in their own style to show them who's boss, do they just run out of steam and fade into the background? Relevance is a funny thing.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Liked her in Harry Potter and Fight Club.
I'm a huge fan, but I have to be in the mood, you know?

syckkz

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm excited for this movie! I love things that are visually stimulating and dark. I think the whole Johnny Depp and Tim burton team is getting old.. but I won't complain if the story/acting is worth a watch!

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
i'd almost prefer a terry gilliam version. alice in wonderland is actually a pretty dark story and while tim burton's visuals are apparently dark, i feel like terry gilliam would know how to really channel the heart of the original story. if anyone has seen tideland they would probably agree