User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Hopefully Tim Burton doesn't slaughter it. I want it to be true to the story.

He makes good movies, but I really, really don't want him to screw up one of my favorite stories.:yim_phbbbbt:

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I hate all things Tim Burton, but I hear Alan Rickman is going to be an animated caterpillar so I'll probably see it.
    Severus Snape redeems himself!
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post

my thread...

mods, if you please....

The Original Gangsta

(although, mine has Depp accolade while Wubber has Depp-hate)
    Done.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    infj

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    i'd almost prefer a terry gilliam version. alice in wonderland is actually a pretty dark story and while tim burton's visuals are apparently dark, i feel like terry gilliam would know how to really channel the heart of the original story. if anyone has seen tideland they would probably agree
    +1

Tideland left me feeling stick to my stomach, but I agree that Gilliam would do an amazing job with Alice in Wonderland. I can't wait for his new movie.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Alice in Wonderland: approved
    Tim Burton: approved
    Danny Elfman: approved
    Johnny Depp: okay
    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I think they've just done so many movies together that they're starting to all look and feel the same.
    This is why I don't like the idea of "actors" and "movie stars" in general. When you've seen the same person in so many different settings and roles, he/she lives outside the movie. And that ruins the "reality" of the movie.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is my favorite book of all time, but I usually don't care for adaptations of it. None of the adaptations I've seen have really captured the essence of it, IMO. I do like the Disney one on its own merit, not so much as a faithful adaptation of the book.

I agree that Terry Gilliam would have been a more Carroll-esque choice than Tim Burton but I still have some hope for this movie.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

I am a big Burton Depp Elfman fan but sadly it ended after Sleepy Hollow. Charlie wasn't very good, heavily over produced to the point of looking almost sickly. I didn't like the Disney version but could see how the story could be portrayed as a visual masterpiece. Burton could do an excellant job but from what Ive seen of the the trailer I think it will be much like Charlie. I think it has less to do with Burton himself and more to do with studio involvement. Depp is going to get backing, an unknown won't. But Burton is probably to blame for his reliability on technology which interferes with what used to made his films not just visually stunning but a pleasure to immerse in.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

I am not surprised that Burton tries to make a film about Alice in Wonderland. The connections: drugs, creepy child fairytale and popular taste is already present in the story. Not to mention that many people who have tried to emulate (srry, emolate) his style have tried using the story Alice in Wonderland on many occasion's and there are already several films who combine the story with romantic or erotic undertones.

More traditional fairy-tales could not have been used by him because they usually originated from stories told by peasants and already have a clear raw and violent theme in them.